Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

Andy, read above this is only the second project in the country aiming for LEED PLATINUM.

I did read that. I'm wondering if there were any other proposed or being considered. Anyway's, yes, it is remarkable that we have a tower that is only one of three.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great news on the LEED. i personally love this project and am quite pleased with the new BofA tower design. also, the fact that this is one of the premier projects in the country (as far as being socially conscious) - almost eradicates any negatives... @ least in my book.

i'm sure we will see more renderings soon. one thing that you can't really see on the latest rendering that was posted here... the new bofa tower actually slants inward on the 6th street facing side. you could clearly see that on the older siteplan and i hope they keep that. it detracts a little from the "box" criticism.

That is great news to hear about it being PLATINUM status. I saw a special on tv about the bofa tower that is platinum in nyc and its really cool all the things they do for it to make it reach that level like toliet water is just collected rain water.

Considering the lifecycles of buildings, they really need to ALL be built to the highest capability of our society and technology. That said, we have a weak-minded culture that doesn't like to demand the best universally. So in that context, it is a huge relief that companies like Wachovia and BofA are trying to be responsible volutarily. Granted, they are doing it mainly for the positive press and their savings on energy.

These buildings will be around past 2100, barring any major tragedy. Consider that that is after the end of the currently known oil supplies, and after the projections for major climate change impacts, and so on. That is incredible to reflect on, and really should create a sense of responsibility for every building project.

Even if every new car were required to be some new clean tech, like electric or hydrogen or whatever, in 2015, it might take only until 2030 for every car to be that new clean tech. But it will take centuries to replace the inefficient and wasteful buildings with new green and sustainable buildings. Look at the amount of money that NYC will need to spend to upfit its buildings to help lower the greenhouse gas emissions.

In this context, it is far more important to have this project as a LEED platinum than to have it be an amazing icon of architectural merit.

dub i just want to throw out there that we are at really no risk of running out of oil, and that because demand will most likely have shifted because of how global warming is being portrayed right now in the media, (which the shift is not a bad thing at all just the way the media has done it is well disapointing) but overall, just know that we will have oil for a long time... it just may be more expensive then we like. The US itself has tons of oil in its shale form which for a price can be converted into crude oil

These buildings will be around past 2100, barring any major tragedy.

Somewhat off-topic, but it's a bit awe-inspiring to consider that, barring some apolcalyptic scenario, buildings like BoA will probably be around for several centuries at the very least. Strange to imagine that, long after our culture has effectively ceased to exist, people will be craning their necks at our skyscrapers and asking a tour guide who Hugh McColl was.

I have a hard time imagining anyone justifying the demolition of BoA. Of course people probably said the same thing about the Independence Building years ago, but BoA has a particularly permanent feel. Something about its structure and social significance tell me that it's there for keeps. I'd say it will last until something happens to forcibly knock it down, which could be millenia in the future.

ok so I got really bored today and decided to google the hotel. Well the search took me to this site:

http://www.colgatedev.com/rc_charlotte.htm

There is one rendering of the building and I was just wondering if this is the design that is going to be the actual hotel. You have to view a slideshow of images, but there are only four so it doesn't take long.

ok so I got really bored today and decided to google the hotel. Well the search took me to this site:

http://www.colgatedev.com/rc_charlotte.htm

There is one rendering of the building and I was just wondering if this is the design that is going to be the actual hotel. You have to view a slideshow of images, but there are only four so it doesn't take long.

Good find! It definitely looks better than the last rendering and looks more similar to the first rendering. Thank goodness.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while, so I was wondering if anybody had photos/news of progress on this site. I live 2 1/2 hours away :(

8-26-07

They were taking some facade panels down today, hopefully this will be all glass when the project is finished.

84525809.jpg

looking into the hole from 5th st.

84525811.jpg

84525812.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks like we have another crane going up at the site today.

Wahoo... these 2 city blocks are going to be packed with cranes. It's going to almost look as crazy as the Wachovia and Novare sights. The second crane for the Ritz Carlton Site can be seen on the 210 Trade webcam in the back. So that's 3 cranes for 210 Trade and 2 cranes Ritz Carlton. Also, I read that Trade St. is going to be closed for the next 2 weekends between Brevard and College St's due to the removal of precast concrete on top of the parking garage. I'm not sure exactly what this is for, maybe someone else knows, but I am assuming and hoping this is for a remodel of the parking garage to fit with the Ritz's style.

Looks like they put up the second crane today (or last night). I drove by the site last night around 8, and there was a lot of chaos getting the streets closed and big trucks lugging in a lot of heavy-duty equipment. Hopefully after these two weekends, we will see a big difference on site and on the parking garage.

Archived