Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

But isn't that what this will be? There will be retail on the second floor of the new BofA/Ritz buildings and there is retail in BofA corp. (and not at street level) This IS an extension of the overstreet mall. These building are across the street from each other. Go to the ground floor, walk across the street at the crosswalks, and walk into the other building. I understand the problem with heat, but walking one block, or accross the street is not unreasonable. Again, they do it in every other city in the world, why not here.

yeah this will just be another extension of the Overstreet Mall. And I agree about the skywalks, if they can do it in all the other cities than what makes Charlotte any different?

2vni04y.jpg

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think skywalks--true skywalks that are just walkways; no retail--between office buildings are as anti-street-level-activity as everyone makes them out to be. Here's why: they're being used by people AT WORK during OFFICE HOURS. People who are walking to a 10am meeting at 9:50am, are not going to stop and shop at stores along the street. So, if they use a skywalk vs. a sidewalk, it's not going to really affect retail numbers since they would not be taking part in the retail. And those people uptown that are not working and are servicing retail establishments, are most likely not cutting through all the office buildings and using the skywalks. After office hours (6pm or whenever) and on the weekends, the skywalks are not even used by people--because everyone is walking on the sidewalks, servicing the street level retail. So, while an absence of skywalks would put more people on the sidewalks from 8am - 6pm and make the city streets look super-busy, it wouldn't have much of an affect on retail, because all those added people would still be working or going to a meeting, and not have time to stop and shop.

While I understand your point, the one thing that is always evident in cities is that people like to go where the people are. Meaning, if all these workers are walking the streets, there will be a larger crowd on the streets, as you said. But, this also gives other people the false impression that all these people are walking the streets because it is "the" place to be, giving it a more urban big-city feel. Crowds create curiosity. In as much as Charlotte is a wishy washy town when it comes to our pro sports teams (when they're good, the crowd grows,) I'm sure it also could have evolved much quicker if we had more pedestrian traffic, were it not for the massive number of skywalks.

In Houston, they even use tunnels to connect buildings plus sky walks. In the tunnel system they also have retail.

If the banks are paying for the sky walks, I don't think we have much input about them being build, but I hope they will be easy to get to. So what about tunnels and not sky walks? The streets are clear and you would never know about tunnels unless you went into a building or have a sign to direct you to one.

How do the millions of the people that wear suits in NYC do it when it gets hot?

Good point...After working/living in NYC, I can tell you that it stinks and people are thrilled not to have to walk in the heat, cold, rain. NYC is great, but not comfortable, convenient, or easy.

You could also ask the question as to why Bank of America still has a dress code requiring suits during the summer months, considering the climate. Not only does it create a situation where its employees do not want to walk outdoors to support the city's urban fabric, but it creates a situation where its employees would prefer to be in their air conditioned cars rather than walk or bike a number of blocks to transit or to their homes. It also creates a situation where the air condition is a signifcant factor for working conditions. They seem to have decided that a pretentious dress code is more important for the work environment than a dress code that is more sensitive to the actual environment. LEED platinum for this project is great, but if these employees are going to spend their whole days in dark suits while the air around them gets significant amount of air conditioning, then it seems like a waste. Why not have summer dress codes be more climate sensitive, and reduce the amount of air conditioning.

It has been our culture's relentless pursuit of comfort, convenience, and ease that causes us to be entirely reliant on air conditioning, automobiles, and sprawl. It is not a recipe for healthy cities or healthy lives. Again, LEED Platinum is great, but if all the people in them, are intent on being as far removed from the real world and the real environment as possible, then it will still be a source of significant waste.

You could also ask the question as to why Bank of America still has a dress code requiring suits during the summer months, considering the climate. Not only does it create a situation where its employees do not want to walk outdoors to support the city's urban fabric, but it creates a situation where its employees would prefer to be in their air conditioned cars rather than walk or bike a number of blocks to transit or to their homes. It also creates a situation where the air condition is a signifcant factor for working conditions. They seem to have decided that a pretentious dress code is more important for the work environment than a dress code that is more sensitive to the actual environment. LEED platinum for this project is great, but if these employees are going to spend their whole days in dark suits while the air around them gets significant amount of air conditioning, then it seems like a waste. Why not have summer dress codes be more climate sensitive, and reduce the amount of air conditioning.

It has been our culture's relentless pursuit of comfort, convenience, and ease that causes us to be entirely reliant on air conditioning, automobiles, and sprawl. It is not a recipe for healthy cities or healthy lives. Again, LEED Platinum is great, but if all the people in them, are intent on being as far removed from the real world and the real environment as possible, then it will still be a source of significant waste.

Ironic isn't it? This tower is going to be LEED platinum but will still needlessly waste energy due to non-climate sensitve archane summer dress codes.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and maybe a present bank employee would know better,) but my mom used to work for BoA in Gateway Village and they all wore business casual. And I know this is a trivial statement, but if it's hot outside, take your coat off. :P I mean, if you're walking on the street, loosening your tie isn't so bad either, nobody will scoff at you for that.

All kidding aside, while the reasoning behind skywalks (and tunnels) is logical, it also hurts the fabric of the inner city.

You could also ask the question as to why Bank of America still has a dress code requiring suits during the summer months, considering the climate.

I've been working downtown for B of A for four years and I have yet to wear a suit to work. Likewise for almost all of my co-workers. Plenty of people even wear comfy short-sleeve shirts.

How do the millions of the people that wear suits in NYC do it when it gets hot?

We sweated. July and August in Manhattan are just awful. The subway platforms are stifling and the air above ground is hot and polluted-just like Charlotte in August.

The skybridges are nice to have when the weather is too hot or too wet or too cold. But they do drain life from the streets.

I've been working downtown for B of A for four years and I have yet to wear a suit to work. Likewise for almost all of my co-workers. Plenty of people even wear comfy short-sleeve shirts.

Are different groups subject to different dress codes? There are an awful lot of employees on North Tryon wearing suits, but maybe they are all executives or lawyers or people at other companies. Sorry for the assumption.

There are some cases where skywalks are necessary- like in Minneapolis or Omaha where the weather can be extreme. Other cases might be when there is a busy highway to be crossed. In most cases, however, I'd venture that skywalks do not encourage street life. As such, I think they would be detrimental in a city like Charlotte. Sure it gets hot in the summer, but is the loss of street life worth it?

Are different groups subject to different dress codes? There are an awful lot of employees on North Tryon wearing suits, but maybe they are all executives or lawyers or people at other companies. Sorry for the assumption.

People who work in investment banking are probably going to wear suits. The consumer side, where I am, is more relaxed, although higher-level execs--especially those in the corporate center--will of course be a little dressier.

Seems the CBJ has plenty of good news in store for us today. They have caught word that the tenants have started closing temporarily at Founders hall to make way for a massive renovation, the new Skybridge, and the arrival of the ritz carlton. It also said that the amount of street level improvement is going to be much more extensive than what bofa had suggested previously. The Article gives very little details however, except that the Crown Club will be moving out in february, which suggests to me that is when we can expect some openings at epicenter pretty soon hopefully.

As much as the superblock skybridge has taken criticism on this thread, look what BofA has done for street level retail in Charlotte. A quick look at their buildings including the Hearst, IJL, Transnational Center (with Rock Bottom), Gateway Village, Seventh Street Station and now Founders Hall they have basically surrounded all of their buildings with retail. Wachovia should learn from what BofA has done and hopefully their new tower will echo some of BofA's success. In fact the aformentioned projects bring the vast majority of street life to Uptown.

It seems to me the problem with the skybridge is not the access that they provide for workers to work more effectively, it is the fact that they sequester the limited amount of retail that exists in uptown inside, away from the general public.

It is not that I dislike skybridges for their purpose of connecting workers; it is the fact that when the towers close so does most of the valuable retail that exists within them. We need the retail on the street to add activity and to be available to the citizens as a whole.

If all of that retail was located on the street rather than within the catacombs of the towers Charlotte would be a much more vibrant place.

It seems to me the problem with the skybridge is not the access that they provide for workers to work more effectively, it is the fact that they sequester the limited amount of retail that exists in uptown inside, away from the general public.

It is not that I dislike skybridges for their purpose of connecting workers; it is the fact that when the towers close so does most of the valuable retail that exists within them. We need the retail on the street to add activity and to be available to the citizens as a whole.

If all of that retail was located on the street rather than within the catacombs of the towers Charlotte would be a much more vibrant place.

I agree, and I think that has long been the problem most have had with these. It also hurt that to build these large bank projects, they tore down Victorian-era storefront buildings that although were blighted, would have netted dramatically more street activity with revitalization over the designs of the towers. While it will help SOME that BofA is reworking Founders Hall to include street retail, it doesn't come close to redeeming the loss of those old store buildings.

While the employment population they bring uptown helps the vibrancy of the streets over what a blighted and depressed downtown would have, the street level architecture they used in the 80s and 90s did considerable damage to the street life potential.

Those of us who feel like those 80s and 90s projects did damage by poorly integrating with the street in terms of retail, are greatly annoyed by BofA's plan to include next to no street retail in the new superblock project. They will put their retail in the second level, and connect it to Founders Hall by a bozotube [sic]. While Wachovia got flack for supposedly continueing that bad street level pattern on their project, they actually have a considerable percentage of ground level space dedicated to retail in addition to the 4 arts projects that open to the streets. When one massively complex project dedicates significant amount of ground level space to retail, it is frustrating to see another seemingly fall into the old pattern of hiding retail within.

As much as the superblock skybridge has taken criticism on this thread, look what BofA has done for street level retail in Charlotte. A quick look at their buildings including the Hearst, IJL, Transnational Center (with Rock Bottom), Gateway Village, Seventh Street Station and now Founders Hall they have basically surrounded all of their buildings with retail. Wachovia should learn from what BofA has done and hopefully their new tower will echo some of BofA's success. In fact the aformentioned projects bring the vast majority of street life to Uptown.

Thats not bank of america's doing, thats the city realizing htey messed up when they allowed BofA to build their tower without retail in it.

Does UMUD require street retail now? Most of the downtown parcels anywhere near Tryon have the UMUD zoning, so it isn't like the city reviews the projects to haggle over like in other places we talk about. BofA could do whatever they wanted within the UMUD zone, so I think they get some credit in cases like Hearst, which was brilliant in terms of its integration of street retail. But they also then get the rotten tomatoes for failing to do it on this project, site issues notwithstanding. We'll see if their Founder's Hall change is enough to offset what they couldn't do on the Superblock site.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't eat at McDonalds, but I still think having one on the street versus in the Overstreet Mall would add to the vibrancy of its area. I'd say the same about much of the retail in Overstreet Mall.

• 3 weeks later...

so whats up with this project? i haven't seen any real progress in at least a month, at least what i can tell from the construction cam.

They are working on the foundation work. As you may be able to see a little of in the cam, the project is nearing street level, but not quite there yet. They only had a small corner up to that point, now they are building out to the remainder of the base where it will need the foundation. After that's complete, expect to see things begin peaking above street.

There has been quite the flurry of activity down in the pit this afternoon as can be seen from the 210 Trade construction cam.

Looking from the top of the site, it appears that not much progress has been made in the last three weeks in the corner where the forms have been set.

Perhaps ramping up the number of concrete trucks in and out of the hole is a sign of quicker progress coming.

Archived