Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

Is the glass floor thing a joke, or an actual rumor? It is an interesting idea.

I've heard that that there isn't much street retail going into this project, and that the powers that be decided that it was much better to trade the little street retail that was possible on that site for much more retail a level up.

We'll see, but I was disappointed when I heard that. Maybe they'll try so hard to over-compensate that it will be success.

I've also heard there is no space for large retail, so I guess my theory of Saks-in-Ritz was off.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure what this means for the site yet, but all the trailers are gone and they are digging along Trade. I'm assuming the trailers would not fit on the lot if both towers are constructed, but I don't understand the single crew working on the digging at this point.

I'm not sure what this means for the site yet, but all the trailers are gone and they are digging along Trade. I'm assuming the trailers would not fit on the lot if both towers are constructed, but I don't understand the single crew working on the digging at this point.

I thought all of those trailers belonged to the contractor that was fired? Assuming this was the case then they were removed because that contractor is no longer doing work on the site thus taking their trailers with them.

No one seems to have mentioned it here, so I must be the only one that feels this way---- but I am disappointed by the architecture of the new Ritz and 32 story BofA tower.

It doesn't seem like a "fashion forward" architectural statement to me. More like a retro version of a 1981 tower. Both buildings appear to be shoe box shaped, a shoe box lying on it's end. The glass skin is reminiscent of towers from the 1970s.

Of course it will be wonderful to have a prestigious LEED certified complex, and the two buildings should add to the density of 1st Ward near the Square.

Everyone else seems to like the new renderings:)

Of course it will be wonderful to have a prestigious LEED certified complex, and the two buildings should add to the density of 1st Ward near the Square.

Not to the same scale, but we are geeting a ceritifed LEED 6 story building in Celebration, FL called The Conservatory. Can't wait to see it. I can't seem to find anything on-line about it. I've read about it in the small local paper that doesn't even have a web-site.

The new crystal clear glass that comes with LEED buildings will look vastly different than 70s glass boxes. I agree, though, that it could have been more unique, but it is definitely a current design. My worry is that it is too much like other recent buildings in other cities, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

There are apparently some constraints with the site, so it might limit the creativity available for the curtain wall.

No one seems to have mentioned it here, so I must be the only one that feels this way---- but I am disappointed by the architecture of the new Ritz and 32 story BofA tower.

It doesn't seem like a "fashion forward" architectural statement to me. More like a retro version of a 1981 tower. Both buildings appear to be shoe box shaped, a shoe box lying on it's end. The glass skin is reminiscent of towers from the 1970s.

Everyone else seems to like the new renderings:)

I don't think the rendering was of the best quality. Once we get a decent rendering I think your mind will change. I think the top will be somewhat reminiscent of the new New York Times tower in NYC (minus the spire) and the skin will be similar to the new BofA tower in NYC, except rectangular in shape. At least that's what I'm hoping for. :)

NY Times:

2404nytimestower.jpg

BofA NYC:

bankofamericatower5qg.jpg

Well, this has got to be the most activity I've seen at the Ritz yet. I'm glad to see this thing progressing

I see the trucks on-site via the 210 Cam, but have you walked by? What type of activity do they going on? Are they beginning excavation for foundations or just testing soil?

I see the trucks on-site via the 210 Cam, but have you walked by? What type of activity do they going on? Are they beginning excavation for foundations or just testing soil?

Well, that's a heck of a lot of digging equipment just for soil testing but I can't be sure they're digging for the foundation yet either. It's more of a wait and see kind of thing.

Well with everyone's excitement with all the other happenings in Uptown, I figured I would bring this thread back to life.

BofA and Ritz are officially under way!

Digging has begun!

A2

(It is getting harder and harder to keep up with all of the towers going up in Uptown. Do you guys realize we are basically doubling the density of our existing skyline in just 2-4 years?! :w00t: )

A2 I was just thinking the same thing! Even us dedicated Uptown afficionados can't possibly keep up with all these current projects (without urbanplanet) ---I agree within ~10 years or less, it will essentially be a doubling of the current central city.

I'm still hopeful about the final results of the Ritz and BofA designs. What makes me concerned, is that I've seen Seattle's new LEED certified Washington Mutual Tower many times from the ferries. Of course we all love it's green aspects, and future looking technology. ~~but~~I'm still quite underwhelmed by the building's design and presence overlooking Puget Sound.

It is a straight sided, flat roofed glass box to me. The crystal tinted glass is nice, but to me it doesn't compensate for the boring architectural features of the tower. Coming into downtown Seattle on the ferries, the new WaMu Tower isn't distinctive at all. It isn't even in my top ten favorite Seattle skyscrapers.

Of course I'm hoping the Ritz and BofA will pack a lot more punch:)

Of course I'm hoping the Ritz and BofA will pack a lot more punch:)

I am really hoping so. I tend to agree that sometimes when we get excited about being green, we forego the fact that the design still has to have aesthetic appeal. I am hopeful that the BofA/Ritz complex don't dissappoint in this regard.

A2

Regarding the doubling of mass/size, as an older person, that happened the last 10 years and the ten before that. The pace continues much to all our delight. That has been one of the best things about living here and why everyone can attach themselves to the boosterism aspect that keeps it going.

And one of the best things of finally seeing people excited about living or participating in uptown changes is this site. Thanks guys.

Regarding the doubling of mass/size, as an older person, that happened the last 10 years and the ten before that. The pace continues much to all our delight. That has been one of the best things about living here and why everyone can attach themselves to the boosterism aspect that keeps it going.

And one of the best things of finally seeing people excited about living or participating in uptown changes is this site. Thanks guys.

Agreed. That is what keeps me in CLT. I have been here 8 years, and every time I even come close to leaving the synergy keeps me around one more year.

In 10 more years CLT will be one of the TOP cities in the country for skylines.

It has such a wonderful quality about it. It is no NYC, or Chicago, granted. However, I tend to think there won't be many others in 10-20 years that will be on the scale of CLT's Beauty and aesthetically pleasing spires and crowns. (outside of the super biggies)

A2

Being that I am not normal when it comes to math and modeling past/future behaviors, I took it on myself about a year ago to create a predictive skyline timeline model. (while lying on my back in NYC's Central Park's Great Lawn, being envious of that city)

I remember that it was fairly accurate when I applied it to a random sampling of cities, but I completely forgot the formula now.

Regardless, I do remember, that Charlotte would have a comparable skyline to (present day) Manhattan in 2081.....I'm just hoping they develop a cure for everything in the next 50 years or so., because I'd like to see that :)

Being that I am not normal when it comes to math and modeling past/future behaviors, I took it on myself about a year ago to create a predictive skyline timeline model. (while lying on my back in NYC's Central Park's Great Lawn, being envious of that city)

I remember that it was fairly accurate when I applied it to a random sampling of cities, but I completely forgot the formula now.

Regardless, I do remember, that Charlotte would have a comparable skyline to (present day) Manhattan in 2081.....I'm just hoping they develop a cure for everything in the next 50 years or so., because I'd like to see that :)

:blink:

Atlrvr, you have really got a thing for crunching numbers, don't cha? I can truly see you in Central Park calculating the build out of CLT's downtown. You are a true junkie for the numbers, but I love you for it, since your math seems to work for all of us skraper junkies, not gifted enough to think that much. :P

A2

I've seen so many web polls about favorite US skylines. The obvious large cities are in each list, but I find it interesting that Minneapolis makes almost every list you see.

I think Minneapolis is a great example of a mid sized city with a blockbuster skyline. Like eye candy everytime I see a pic of it:) From all indications Charlotte's skyline will be equally inspiring in a very short period of time!

I've seen so many web polls about favorite US skylines. The obvious large cities are in each list, but I find it interesting that Minneapolis makes almost every list you see.

I think Minneapolis is a great example of a mid sized city with a blockbuster skyline. Like eye candy everytime I see a pic of it:) From all indications Charlotte's skyline will be equally inspiring in a very short period of time!

Indeed. I tend to look at Minneapolis as CLT's Bigger brother that lives up North. :)

A2

BTW, college street between 5th and 7th is turning into kind of a cool strip. When the new BoA building is built, there may be a very nice little strip there.

I noticed the place next to BAR (is it have a nice day cafe?) is opening up their College st. frontage, maybe to have outdoor seating?

Archived