Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may be completely out of line, but could they build the underground deck before they inplode the above deck, so there is a seamless transition for the BoA Corporate workers?

That seems plausible. However, if I were investing millions in an Underground deck, I would be concerned that the implosion of the existing one would possibly damage the structural integrity of the new one since both would literally be touching one another.

A2

^ I think IF it were to happen this way, it would be a lot safer to dismantle the deck than taking the risk of implosion.

When the rumor was first brought up that the deck was to come down, I thought that it was very strange or that to happen that far into site prep. Now the longer that it goes on I just don't see it coming down. Sounds like someone got some bad info on this one.

Has a stand alone parking deck ever been imploded? Seems like an aweful waste of money and resources for such a small structure. I would think taking a wrecking ball to an open-air building would be much cheaper than trying to stuff it full of dynamite, not to mention safer to ground crews and existing structures.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the Building Permits for the Footing and Foundation of the Hotel and Tower were issued last week. I would think that if they are going to take down the parking garage they are going to have to do it soon. As of today they have not filed for a permit to demo the parking deck.

I'm a little confused by that giant opening along Trade, is that literally how it will look on Trade or is that flex space for retail?? Wishful thinkin. I do however like the green roof on the skywalk. However, I was hoping for glass floors in there to help with lighting on College, but that really was never realistic anyway. And I agree, that definitely looks like it was drawn up on Sketch-up as the inside floor and inner wall color is the default color for SU.

I could be wrong, but my feeling is that with the tower crane going up and the hole getting ever deeper, that the parking deck is NOT coming down. Could I be wrong?, sure...But can any engineer mind out there explain how they would be able to pull off such a feat now that the excavation process is now almost 65-70%+ complete??? :dontknow:

A2

I'm with you on that one, A2. Even in the renderings just posted it looks as though the parking garage is part of the structure. My guess is that both buildings will rise against the parking garage, and may possibly extend over the garage around the 8th floor.

I like how cantilevers seem to be a nice theme in the building. There are many parts of the building that stick out over other parts, really makes the building much more interesting.

Archived