Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since it's going up, I'm assuming that somebody, somewhere knows what this thing is going to look like.

I'm not all that impressed with the new rendering, especially at street-level.

We'll see how it turns out.

I have misgivings about the development too rockhill. It's mainly a set of glass boxes if you ask me. However, I'm in love with the idea of the winter garden.

I keep referencing back to Seattle's new WaMu Tower which is also LEED. On ferry rides, I always look at the tower hoping I will change my mind, and start liking it. But I continue to be disappointed in it's architecture.

However, my partner likes the new WaMu Tower. He sees it as reminiscent of the DeStijl-style artist Piet Mondrian's work (geometric inspired designs) And he likes the transparency of the glass, which he feels gives a lightness to the building.

So when it comes down to it, we all have our own ideas about what makes a beautiful high rise.:)

Since it's going up, I'm assuming that somebody, somewhere knows what this thing is going to look like.

I'm not all that impressed with the new rendering, especially at street-level.

We'll see how it turns out.

The corner of Trade & College is a HUGE disappointment. I can't believe that they would put a huge block of blank walls like that on such a prominent corner of one of Charlotte's 2 main streets. The entire Ritz half of the project seems to be designed to scream "Stay the hell away from me you pedestrian riff-raff." What is this, the 1970s?

The office tower half portion looks better, though.

I still have my doubts that BoA is going to screw up Trade. They did a good job when they built Hearst, so I can't see why they would go back from that. Seems that they would want to help enrich their HQ city with activity to help boost their own image. I still feel that the lobby won't be the only thing facing Trade. That rendering is definitely not an "official" rendering, but more like a massing to me. There are several parts of it that contradict the earlier renderings.

I still have my doubts that BoA is going to screw up Trade. They did a good job when they built Hearst, so I can't see why they would go back from that. Seems that they would want to help enrich their HQ city with activity to help boost their own image. I still feel that the lobby won't be the only thing facing Trade. That rendering is definitely not an "official" rendering, but more like a massing to me. There are several parts of it that contradict the earlier renderings.

I pray to God that it's not an official rendering, as the more I look at the Ritz the more I want to puke. :sick: I don't see why they can't incorporate aspects of the old design in the new design, such as the curved roof and the classier building materials (granite facade, less glass, etc.). I agree with the consensus that there need to be more streetfront retail spaces in these buildings, or this will just be another dead zone.

According to people I have spoken to via email about the "BOA superblock project" There will be 2 stores under the wintergarden extension over college street. As well as a couple outward facing stores that are on top of the outdoor escalator, to lead people to the winter garden, that will contain more than service retail. I think it will stimulate pedestrian activity. I Just wish like many others it could have been more geared towards street level. Trade however will be pretty dead, there will be a couple retail spots but not very many.

Just noticed that the escalator appears to not be outdoors, so maybe this rendering is old.

According to people I have spoken to via email about the "BOA superblock project" There will be 2 stores under the wintergarden extension over college street. As well as a couple outward facing stores that are on top of the outdoor escalator, to lead people to the winter garden, that will contain more than service retail. I think it will stimulate pedestrian activity. I Just wish like many others it could have been more geared towards street level. Trade however will be pretty dead, there will be a couple retail spots but not very many.

Just noticed that the escalator appears to not be outdoors, so maybe this rendering is old.

Trade wont be dead by any means. You have Epicenter and the Areana to fill that street with pedestrians. But BoA and Ritz would certainly miss the boat if they didn't do something to lure pedestrians and shoppers onto their block.

The Ritz must have a porte de cochere for its guests. Where else do y'all suggest they put it? I have no problem with the Trade Street frontage knowing that there will be taxis, people checking in/checking out, hotel guests coming and going through this main entrance, etc. It's street life we're looking for, not necessarily another tiny retail spot that will be nothing more than a WH Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

A building permit for the renovation and expansion of the existing parking deck has just been applied for. I guess they have determined that they can make it work after all.....still, I'm holding out hope that they will be able to renovate the ground floor to include retail space.

• 2 weeks later...

Blueraider, judging from what I've seen in the city complilations, Nashville's doing just fine, you've got a pretty big boom of your own right now.

Does anyone have a better rendering of this tower or the redesigned Ritz? Usually BofA is really good about releasing renderings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not really news, is it? I was under the impression that this was the arrangement since they had the initial press conference in July 2005. I remember Ken Lewis stating that he would "guarantee" that this hotel will be profitable. I think there was also a mention of this licensing/managing/profit subsidy (if they need it) in the original O article way back then. In fact, I believe they mentioned the exact arrangement Volkswagen gave Ritz when they built one next to their HQ in Wolfsburg. Seems like rehashed news to me.

I'm begining to question whether the Ritz will require subsidy from BofA to be profitable......looks to me like the Uptown scene is exploding, and the hotel might very well be able to sell out every night anyway.

I just can't imagine a Ritz sitting there 50% occupied very often.

Yea, but also remember that the Omni, aLoft, and Sierra Hotels will all be basically next door to this location. I don't have much doubt that the Ritz will succeed, but it will have a lot of competition nearby.

Uptown (and Charlotte in general) must be doing a lot better than I'd assumed. What with all the luxery residential towers and hotels going up, it must be. Forgive me, I don't actually live in Charlotte, I just like to visit when I can.

Yea, but also remember that the Omni, aLoft, and Sierra Hotels will all be basically next door to this location. I don't have much doubt that the Ritz will succeed, but it will have a lot of competition nearby.

None of those brands compete in the rarified air that the Ritz occupies, regardless of proximity. The only competition the Ritz will have is from a Trump Hotel if that whole thing pans out. The Westin is the next closest competitor in terms of service level and accommodations. They'll have the uber-luxury market all to themselves for a while. High-rolling execs with unlimited expense accounts and the extremely well-heeled are going to gravitate to the Ritz based on name alone.

Well remember the Ritz won't only be attracting the uber rich.........imagine all the middle classed newlyweds who will be staying there on their honeymoons, all the middle classed Carolinians that will book a room just to experience it.....

And the upper middle classed folks in town to see a Bobcats game------would they be able to resist staying at the Ritz, just for one night?

OK I'm going out on a limb here---hehhee--I envision the Ritz making a profit without BofA subsidy after the first 6 months of operation. Yes there will be other hotels nearby, but none of them sports this most prestigious name!

I have a feeling one day we'll all look back and chuckle at the thought that this project would have to be subsidized to be profitable.:)

Archived