Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

It stated this AM about 8. Looked like they had 2 streets blocked off today.

Yeah, I went by on Fifth today to grab a view and had to detour as they were "putting the top on the crane". It is exciting to finally see this project get some momentum. :thumbsup:

A2

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm assuming that they are going to build the Ritz first since I can't find any mention of a completion date on the bank tower. Assuming I'm right, when should they begin the bank tower, and (I know this has been debated before) are there any official renderings yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm assuming that they are going to build the Ritz first since I can't find any mention of a completion date on the bank tower. Assuming I'm right, when should they begin the bank tower, and (I know this has been debated before) are there any official renderings yet?

Given the nature of the bank, I can't imagine that they would not build the towers in tandem as they share a common base and, therefore, at least the lower floors would have to be completed on both buildings in order for the winter garden and parking deck recladding to be completed. If built simultaneously, the hotel would be finished first due to its floor count.

Construction update. There is a lot of work going on with the garage. Of course we heard the reports of the road closures from last weekend and next weekend for the garage. When I went in it last night around 8, there were a few workers doing interior garage work. Also, the top level is closed and a mess, and the exterior of the Ritz-Carlton side is being dismantled, partially.

Construction photos from BofA Parking Garage:

You can find the remaining of the pics here.

Uptown021.jpg

Uptown022.jpg

Uptown023.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know some people who like renderings.

post-17104-1190671916_thumb.jpg

Boy isn't the Ritz's lobby something else? If you look closely you can see the glass floor for the above ground hamster tunnel.

Note to ladies who work downtown, wear pants.

It goes all the way accross with a glass floor. So it is just one whole honkytube that stretches a couple hundred feet. Its the perverts dream.

judging from these latest renderings... i'm not seeing what your describing. from this rendering - it looks like 2 wonderbread pipes not one large one. i guess i'll just have to wait for more info. however, i can assure you that there will not be glass floors that gawkers can stand under....

BOA1.jpg

it is one single honkey tube.

post-17104-1190730056_thumb.jpg

The glass floors has been reported on urban planet as well as the CBJ. I'm sure they will be distorted as well, we don't wish for there to be too many heart attacks. I'm thinking it will only be in sections anyway, because glass floors 2 floors up is pretty moronic.

I've seen four renderings of this thing and I still have no idea what it's going to look like.

Just put these two together in thought.

5th%20and%20trade.jpg

BOASuperblock.jpg

I realize the bottom one is small, butt they are the correct views the building. The Boa Tower will be flat on 3 sides and curved on one. Unfortunately we still do not have an offical rendering of the ritz. As the one posted in my other post is a rendering for the winter garden.

Yes I realize that, but it is only a small portion of the floor, I am talking about 1000+ sq feet of glass. As I recall in Toronto you have a choice whether to walk on the glass or not. I'm hoping the glass floors, while it would be cool for them to be the entire honkytube, is limited to certain sections.

I can say for sure that I, for one, would not be able to step out on it if it were 1,000 sq ft of translucent glass at anything more than a couple feet off the ground. I'm not even sure the lizard part of my brain would let me walk on distorted glass that high up, lol.

Honkytube-maybe because it tended to separate white people (honkies) from blacks? White people in the tubes connecting the offices, black people down on the street?

That is the correct origin of the term. I suppose its more southern vernacular than anything, but I don't know what they are called in other places :) The honkytubes (or overhead walkways or pedestrian tubes or whatever you want to call them) were originally built so you wouldn't have to go down on the street (for whatever reason they used to justify it). I'm sure it wasn't intentionally racial. It just happens that they became more popular to use in the 60s and 70s when downtowns were in a state of decline, so crime and poverty tended to be concentrated there, Charlotte being no exception. I use it because 1) I've always used it and 2) it still separates the rich folk from the poor folk. In this part of the world there is absolutely no reason to have these contraptions. In the North, where its -10 degrees half of they year, it makes sense. I think that this tube and all the ones associated with the Overstreet mall should be take down immediately. It would do wonders for downtown retail, and the general aesthetics of Center City. But when the big banks control what happens downtown, you can't do the right thing.

Archived