Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to me like essentially all of the retail is focused inwards towards the "winter garden." Having a hotel lobby at street level is fine (definitely a 24-hour use) but beyond that it looks like this will just be another bunch of stores on the overstreet mall that close at 6:00.

We don't, however, know what's planned along trade yet, so there's hope yet. That's the street where it's most crucial that there be more than just a "lobby lounge." Trade needs street-facing retail - particularly, something that doesn't bar its windows after 6.

Interesting that these announcements came right on the heels of BofA leasing new buildings in Ballentyne. BofA's growth here has been incremental the last few years, but that's a lot of space to be planning for.

How long is the Ballentyne lease for? Keep in mind this tower wont come online for four years - BofA is out of space NOW so Ballentyne could be either (a) interim or (b) they just expect that much growth.

Click the pic for a larger floorplan:

bofaritzfloorsmall.jpg

Seems to me like essentially all of the retail is focused inwards towards the "winter garden." Having a hotel lobby at street level is fine (definitely a 24-hour use) but beyond that it looks like this will just be another bunch of stores on the overstreet mall that close at 6:00.

We don't, however, know what's planned along trade yet, so there's hope yet. That's the street where it's most crucial that there be more than just a "lobby lounge." Trade needs street-facing retail - particularly, something that doesn't bar its windows after 6.

I agree and was disappointed with that. The Winter Garden is basically an extention of Founders Hall.

I don't hold out much hope for retail fronting Trade or 5th...but I could be wrong, and hopefully I am.

I will say this...to Founders Hall credit...most of the stores there are actually open on the weekends.

Click the pic for a larger floorplan:

bofaritzfloorsmall.jpg

I agree and was disappointed with that. The Winter Garden is basically an extention of Founders Hall.

I don't hold out much hope for retail fronting Trade or 5th...but I could be wrong, and hopefully I am.

I will say this...to Founders Hall credit...most of the stores there are actually open on the weekends.

I'm dissapointed, I'll say that. There was the potential to put in some serious street level retail with this project and then turn some of Founder's Hall outward creating a retail corridor.

i really like the looks of this project. notice in the renderings uptownliving posted (btw, thanks)... along the rightside going all the way up the tower are trees on each floor. that, with the winter garden atrium and all the glass... i'm getting super excited. eco-techno - all the way.

There was the potential to put in some serious street level retail with this project and then turn some of Founder's Hall outward creating a retail corridor.

Exactly. Instead of lining Trade Street with retail (this is immediately adjacent to the Trade Street LRT station!) they put no fewer than three curb cuts there. That sucks. I sure hope the city pushes back on that one.

I'm not impressed at all with what this project is doing at street level. This is like a throwback to the early 90s. Come on, At least do something nice along Trade ... not three curb cuts on one block.

Exactly. Instead of lining Trade Street with retail (this is immediately adjacent to the Trade Street LRT station!) they put no fewer than three curb cuts there. That sucks. I sure hope the city pushes back on that one.

I'm not impressed at all with what this project is doing at street level. This is like a throwback to the early 90s. Come on, At least do something nice along Trade ... not three curb cuts on one block.

this would be a perfect location for those desserteries that were being discussed in the coffee house

Maybe not 100% perfect in regards to street life, and street level retail, but this is an improvement IMO over just the Ritz. Perhaps, as Uptown populations rise, retail within Founders Hall and the Winter Garden will expand their hours.

Any ideas whether this could be included as a stop along the South Light Rail?

It looks to be about 6 levels below the office...that takes it up to 30 floors...and then maybe 2 service levels on top?

I would say that there are 6 levels below the mechanical level, making 7 total below the office and 1 service at the top. One of those levels may be a service level as well, with a shorter floor to floor height. It's a possibility at least :dontknow: .

Maybe not 100% perfect in regards to street life, and street level retail, but this is an improvement IMO over just the Ritz.

If every development uptown is built with this in mind, then uptown will never develop a viable retail corridor. This is the downside to all of these high rises getting built in Charlotte; it makes for a pretty postcard, but life at the street level continues to suffer.

I think it's great. Why would anyone want to open retail in that block of College St anyway? There is no way to puch retail into the base of Founders Hall/Blumenthal (the opposite side of the street), so the developers put the retail where it will get the most use and have the highest profile: facing EpiCentre, beside the Arena and at the LRT stop. And while I agree that curb cuts are intrusive to the urban fabric, I like the idea that the porte de cochere for RC will be on Trade instead of College. My only problem with any of it is that the new entrance to the subterranean garage is on Trade rather than 5th. To me, that makes no sense.

If every development uptown is built with this in mind, then uptown will never develop a viable retail corridor. This is the downside to all of these high rises getting built in Charlotte; it makes for a pretty postcard, but life at the street level continues to suffer.

Indeed. They are doing a better job even in Myrtle Beach these days with the endless number of towers going up there.

what are they doing in Myrtle Beach?

Here is an entire thread devoted to the subject. I was just there and there are far more cranes over that city than here in Charlotte. Until the Avenue is finished, the current tallest condo tower in the Carolinas is the 28 story Margate Towers in Myrtle Beach which opened in 2004.

Retail is not far behind. Another interesting tid-bit that I discovered today is that Center City might be entertaining a major retailer, and announcing it quite soon. This, I believe, will happen. I really don't care who it is, but just bring it already. With everything coming to fruition, my guess is that maybe a Macy's or Belk might be coming VERY SOON!

A2

Archived