Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

Not positive, but it looks like they have put up the pedestrian scaffolding over the sidewalk along Founders Hall. You can see it in the 210 Webcam if that is in fact what that is.
Yes, on the walk to work yesterday I did see scaffolding in place on College Street as well as on Tryon headed up the hill to the overstreet walkway. The Tryon walkway was not open yet, but the College Street was open to foot traffic already and work was being done between the walkway and the building.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The work at Founders Hall was in full force when I walked by just before 9pm this evening. One lane of College was blocked on the Founders Hall side and you could see where a hole had been punched in the wall to allow the contractor to get into the future retail spots from College Street.

At the pace I saw, it seems like the Founders Hall portion of the work could be done well ahead of the Ritz and BofA tower. Does anyone know if the whole block will be opened at the same time? Or will the Founders Hall work be finished first?

This is the best picture I have seen on how this project will look. I think when it is built, it will look better than the picture. I like how it will connect to Founders Hall.

I realize I am like 2 months late here, but I have to disagree. The ped bridges are by far the worst part of this design.

I like the concept of opening up what would have been an oversized lobby to a covered plaza. The amount of street retail is pretty reasonable once you see the siteplan. That large 2nd floor retail will also be a decent space considering how they made the stairs and escalators to the winter garden and the overstreet complex. Given how little space is available on the ground level due to the smallish footprint, it does seem like a good thing to have that extra retail with easy accessibility. Hopefully it will be a retailer that can draw people into it despite being a level up.

I'm glad to finally see what the 5th street side looks like in a rendering.

Is BofA requesting a mid-block crossing or is this just a renderer going nuts with the pedestrian icons? There are an awful lot of people on College in that rendering under the bridges.

I'd like to see less retail at the Overstreet level, but otherwise, I agree with your post. I have to say though, I'm having trouble visualizing the site plan when compared to the rendering posted on the last page. Things don't seem to line up very well.

May 13, 2008

Walked up the parking garage next to the construction site and I pieced together five images to show what is currently going on in the hole where BoA will be.

(I know its no where near perfect but it shows what it needs to show.)

boa_construction.jpg

Thank you so much DjStedali! I was hoping they would be further along with the underground parking and tower portion, but there is obviously quite a bit of granite in that area. I guess once all the excavation is done, the project should move along much faster.

Does it seem strange that their scheduling will seem to allow for guests at the Ritz to be kept awake by two years of construction right outside their window?

To someone like me, yes, but then again Trump has building taking place above the hotel portion of Trump Chicago well that has been open through construction.

Does it seem strange that their scheduling will seem to allow for guests at the Ritz to be kept awake by two years of construction right outside their window?

Strange indeed. However, they'd be awaken by the construction of 210 Trade (whenever that gets back on track), and any other uptown Charlotte project. This will be a busy area for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked by yesterday and it is a new crane with a base at street level. The existing crane with the base down at the bottom of the hole was in the process of being dismantled. Seems odd to me that one crane would be removed and replaced with another one so close to it.

I would take this as a sign that vertical construction shall begin very soon for this building. If they are removing a crane from the hole that means it has done everything it needed to do now its up to street level to begin the vertical.

I would take this as a sign that vertical construction shall begin very soon for this building. If they are removing a crane from the hole that means it has done everything it needed to do now its up to street level to begin the vertical.

Sometimes it can be more cost effective to assemble a tower crane outside of the buildings structure as opposed to the structure rising with the tower crane within it. It is also much easier to dismantle the tower on the outside.

Of there are factors that determine where the tower crane is to be placed.

17 stories... not sure about the height though.

If you take the official rendering into account its 17 stories of hotel on top of two stories of retail. So 19 floors.

post-19710-1212679326_thumb.jpg

On another note, it seems they have started increasing the floor heights once again in the construction process which is consistant with the rendering. So we have 4 taller floors to go it seems. (2 on the short side, 4 on the tall) We have one floor before the ritz has reached the Top of the Omni, so this tower should be a little bit taller. This is a milestone for me, because you can barely see the top of the omni from the corner of Wendover and Randolph, so if this building is going to be 3-4 floors heights taller than the omni, it will make somewhat of an impact on the overall skyline.

• 3 weeks later...

So it appears that the Ritz is just about topped out now; anybody know how far along they are on the office tower? Unfortunately any and all views of this project online cut off view of that side of the project. I haven't been able to make it uptown in awhile, so I was wondering if anybody else has been able to see the progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived