Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

I like the way the glass looks as well. That ped bridge is killer though (and I hate to start any further arguments about that). Looking better than originally expected and I agree about the curved corner being worthy of a nice news/stock ticker. Maybe something more up to date (digitally imaged ticker or video screen).

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well is typical that they would have the signage on that corner approved when the project was approved by city council or is that something they would wait until later in the project to approach?

Also, after watching the fly-through renderings on their website, there isn't any hint at all for a marquees or screens to be seen. I really wish a night rendering would be released for this project, then it would possibly be more clear what their lighting intentions are for the street level.

So is it conclusive that the Ritz and BofA Center have two different hues of glass? If so that's wonderful news, as so few of us here seem to admire that "matchy matchy" theme.

One thing that the two hues allows for is a mental separation between the two. This block would mentally seem like two buildings densely built instead of one large project that is united on a block, like a lot of Charlotte buildings are. That's just my opinion though.

I am just amazed at what Charlotte has become over the past 15 years. It is truly amazing. Once the economy turns we will see yet a new city unfold over the next 15 years. Will be nice to see the rest of the puzzle come together....(the dissapearance of the surface lots)

....that ped bridge is killer though (and I hate to start any further arguments about that).

I was thinking the same thing.

This particular skybridge should be different from the other pedestrian skybridges Uptown that most UPers abhor. It seems so logical in that location, to connect Founders Hall and the WinterGarden. And so far I think it looks pretty cool too. The glass color is growing on me.

Can you tell what floor they are on?

Looks like they are starting the steel on either the 14th or 15th floor, so just double the height of the steel structure and you'll have a good estimate of about how tall it will be. It seems like it is about two months behind where the NASCAR tower was this time last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mo, and anyone else that traverses College frequently, do you feel like you are in a cave when passing under the Winter Garden? From that one shot it looks it stays shaded all day long, and with monolithic brick/glass facades it seems like it would almost be overwhelming. I have gone through there on a couple of occasions, but it is usually at night with the covered walkways really blocking a lot of the view so I can't really get a good feel for this stretch of College.

Mo, and anyone else that traverses College frequently, do you feel like you are in a cave when passing under the Winter Garden? From that one shot it looks it stays shaded all day long, and with monolithic brick/glass facades it seems like it would almost be overwhelming. I have gone through there on a couple of occasions, but it is usually at night with the covered walkways really blocking a lot of the view so I can't really get a good feel for this stretch of College.

College St. had already felt a bit like an urban canyon. The section between the Holiday Inn and Heart Tower (where Pita Pit and Fuel are located) has always seemed to be in the shade.

115142121.jpg

Okay so does anyone remember the renderings of founders hall where it had outdoor seating on the roof, well I can see doors on the rooftop if this picture. This had me thinking, if this is the case it would suggest that you can walk on top of the winter garden and the "h-tubes". Then I looked at renderings of 1 bank of america center and there seems to be a natural area between the two buildings as well. Hopefully this is some correct observations on my part because that would be a great feature!

Okay so does anyone remember the renderings of founders hall where it had outdoor seating on the roof, well I can see doors on the rooftop if this picture. This had me thinking, if this is the case it would suggest that you can walk on top of the winter garden and the "h-tubes". Then I looked at renderings of 1 bank of america center and there seems to be a natural area between the two buildings as well. Hopefully this is some correct observations on my part because that would be a great feature!

I'm not sure if you'll be able to walk across the hamster tubes, but in the rendering the appear to be green and covered in grass or some other plant.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to walk across the hamster tubes, but in the rendering the appear to be green and covered in grass or some other plant.

If they are a green roof, maintenance workers would need access - so that would suggest: yes, you COULD walk across there - but only if you were a maintenance worker.

The NY Times had an article on the opening of the Ritz. I knew this hotel was "green" but the blog posting also noted some things that I wasn't aware of: 150 complimentary bikes and free parking for hybrid or electric cars. I think we already knew it was the first environmental friendly hotel of its kind for Ritz-Carlton. Pretty cool that Charlotte got this...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't walked/driven by this in a while; didn't know so much glass was already in place. I also didn't know that one of the corners was going to be rounded until I saw the first set of glass panels being installed. I didn't really pay attention when viewing the rendering (which clearly displays the rounded corner).

8-15-09

3824607634_1eddd6a3b5_o.jpg

What exactly are they doing on the very backside of this building, there is nothing like this in the renderings? It could be that the cantilevered part on the backside is being built after the main structure itself. In fact I think that is whats going on.

Archived