Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have any "before" and/or "after" shots of Founder's Hall on College?

I'm not impressed with these so-called "improvements." It's only marginally better than the brick that was there before. I feel like the renderings were misleading towards what was actually constructed. There is a glass overload on that block.

Does anyone have any "before" and/or "after" shots of Founder's Hall on College?

I'm not impressed with these so-called "improvements." It's only marginally better than the brick that was there before. I feel like the renderings were misleading towards what was actually constructed. There is a glass overload on that block.

Agreed, and even with the glass, there are very few entrances to what could be street-side retail (many less than I had expected,) I think this was just a ruse to get founders hall and the rest of this part of the College St corridor to match.

While it does "look" better, I feel like so much more could have been done to improve this space. But I'll hold off judgment until the final storefront is filled.

i haven't studied it too closely, but i think i remember counting 3 direct retail entrances on college (2 of those MIGHT be to the same space though), and 2 entrances to the lobby/escalators, one at the corner and one up trade a bit. i don't know what was promised but that's not TOO bad for this half block IMO, considering it also looks there will be 2nd floor retail with a high degree of visibility from the street. i always thought the glass looked nice but admit its not super inviting, ...i think what they do with signage could make a world of difference.

and i'm not sure, but is that another retail spot on the 1bofa side, beside BLT and kind of underneath the escalators? hard to tell right now. won't get my hopes up too much.

I went into Founders Hall on Monday for the first time in a long time and was pretty surprised to find that it really isn't too much different. The half circle grand staircase is gone now. There is an upper level with glass looking out onto College, but otherwise, not too exciting. We have to wait until the structural work is done and the interior spaces get defined, but...eh.

I went into Founders Hall on Monday for the first time in a long time and was pretty surprised to find that it really isn't too much different. The half circle grand staircase is gone now. There is an upper level with glass looking out onto College, but otherwise, not too exciting. We have to wait until the structural work is done and the interior spaces get defined, but...eh.

I was in there yesterday. I have to say, I really dig it. I like how you can see straight through FH now, and IMO, the staircase needed to go. One Italian restaurant has already been upfitted for Trade Street ground level and looks as if it will open soon.

I was in there yesterday. I have to say, I really dig it. I like how you can see straight through FH now, and IMO, the staircase needed to go. One Italian restaurant has already been upfitted for Trade Street ground level and looks as if it will open soon.

I agree, I love the new FH, it is WORLDS better than what it had been and better than it "could" have been. Imagine how bad it would have looked with this new glass tower casting a giant shadow upon that 1992 beige wall, and how unfriendly that block would have been. You think it was unfriendly before just imagine it in shadow. I at least give Bofa credit for considering fixing college st façade of Founders Hall and for city leaders requesting that they do so.

Plus, There was never any hope of Founders hall being completely at ground level, that would have required MUCH MORE work than ever would be possible. The very idea of lining that side of College with only retail is obsurd, especially since Founders Hall exists a half story above the street. So I think that the space they have managed to squeeze in to give us SOMETHING that lines the street is very nice, I just wish they had figured out a way to make the loading dock a little friendlier, but a 1.2 million sq foot complex is going to have a gigantic loading dock no matter what.

If I REALLY wanted to cast stones in regards to this project it would not be in reference to college or trade st, it would be in reference to the untouched parking structure, THAT IS AN INSULT.

If I REALLY wanted to cast stones in regards to this project it would not be in reference to college or trade st, it would be in reference to the untouched parking structure, THAT IS AN INSULT.

My understanding is that a renovation of the deck isn't a matter of desire on the Bank's part, it's just a matter of money. Especially after the tower is done, I'd be willing to be a couple of good quarters will see that deck reclad.

Interesting blog post on this "new" pot of $280 million at Transport Politic:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2009/12/02/dot-to-award-280-million-in-inner-city-circulator-grants/

I'm intrigued by the blogger's suggestion that Secretary LaHood may combine these funds with TIGER grants for larger projects. Makes you wonder how CATS may respond or if they may change their strategies for advancing North Corridor and/or Streetcar.

I was wondering how long before this started happening? Ritz guests complaining of EpiCentre noise

i'm all out of sympathy for business-expense bankers who choose to stay in a downtown hotel and expect absolute silence, especially when any outdoor concerts are over by 10pm. i just hope the city isn't going to bend over backwards to address these complaints. if the Ritz needs better sound-proofing, then thats their problem.

i'm all out of sympathy for business-expense bankers who choose to stay in a downtown hotel and expect absolute silence, especially when any outdoor concerts are over by 10pm. i just hope the city isn't going to bend over backwards to address these complaints. if the Ritz needs better sound-proofing, then thats their problem.

I'm with you on that one... God forbid if Charlotte has some nightlife going on. But, yea shouldn't be any outdoor concerts past 10pm. Every city that I've stayed in where the hotel is near entertainment districts, you hear noise no matter how expensive the rooms are.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't get a shot looking westward on 5th St from 4th Ward that shows off the rounded corner. It looks pretty good from that angle.

Those look great krazee! This isn't quite what you were describing but here's one I shot from 5th on Sunday:

IMG_1683.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I know it is an incredible waste of energy and will not remain this way after the building opens, I love how this tower looks at night with all the lights on inside. It's like a little golden tower in the skyline and really stands out from a lot of angles, which is a bit disappointing considering it practically disappears in the crowd during the day. Hopefully this building will have some nice lighting added to it to make it stand out just as much at night as it does now, maybe some blue or some red LEDs could spice it up a little and stick with the bank's colors.

i agree its great at night right now, and i'm sure there will be some nice, but probably still very minimal accent lighting.

those pictures above all illustrate why i love this building, its such an understated design and yet it looks completely unique. very elegant and with plenty of attention to detail. i'm really interested to see what the corner green spaces will look like.

it looks like there is definitely a small retail space below the escalator on the College side. i didn't realize until recently that there is an entrance (more like a tunnel) to the parking deck from College between this space and BLT, which seems unnecessary. i haven't been over to take a hard look at the 5th st. side but i THINK there is at least one there as well. this might be a kind of small amount of street retail for a large project like this, but i guess i've bought into the appeal of the Winter Garden thing enough to let it slide. does anyone have definite answers on retail?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Rooster’s Wood-Fired Kitchen will open their 2nd location in the 1 Bank of America building. The new restaurant here is currently under construction and will be 2 stories. I've been to their Southpark location and definitely like the food there. They also have an awesome wine selection. Nice to finally see something other than sushi or steak :)

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/02/08/tidbits1.html

It looks like the Ritz will be adding a lounge bar in addition to the BLT bar in the next few weeks. I never think to go to bars in hotels, but hopefully it will something tied in decently with the street so that it can draw some of the visitors and others beyond just the hotel guests.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/02/08/tidbits1.html

It looks like the Ritz will be adding a lounge bar in addition to the BLT bar in the next few weeks. I never think to go to bars in hotels, but hopefully it will something tied in decently with the street so that it can draw some of the visitors and others beyond just the hotel guests.

I would think a bar in the Ritz would do a smashing business. When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida (not a touristy city) I worked at a large downtown hotel. Our bar did great with local folks. I would say at least 50% of the patrons were locals.

Isn't cigarette smoking out of the picture in Charlotte bars and restaurants? No smoking in a place like the Ritz = a robust business. I would think most people who can afford the Ritz don't smoke cigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived