Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

I would think a bar in the Ritz would do a smashing business. When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida (not a touristy city) I worked at a large downtown hotel. Our bar did great with local folks. I would say at least 50% of the patrons were locals.

Isn't cigarette smoking out of the picture in Charlotte bars and restaurants? No smoking in a place like the Ritz = a robust business. I would think most people who can afford the Ritz don't smoke cigs.

Yes, smoking is out of the picture. I agree that a bar would be a robust business. I can't believe there isn't one in place now. Often when people check into a hotel, they are tired, want to have a nice relaxing drink without going into the craziness of the evening. I am sure the older folks would prefer the serenity of a hotel bar.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, smoking is out of the picture. I agree that a bar would be a robust business. I can't believe there isn't one in place now. Often when people check into a hotel, they are tired, want to have a nice relaxing drink without going into the craziness of the evening. I am sure the older folks would prefer the serenity of a hotel bar.

Same here - is the lounge (fireplace, small menu, couches and tables, bar service) that is currently in place, right outside of the BLT entrance, not what they're talking about?

<br />Same here - is the lounge (fireplace, small menu, couches and tables, bar service) that is currently in place, right outside of the BLT entrance, not what they're talking about?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I need to make it a point to go uptown this week and have a look. I haven't actually been into the Ritz-Carlton.

• 1 month later...

The buck-hoist is down, and the remaining crane will start coming down before much longer (two weeks is the word). It looks like there are a couple of exterior odds-and-ends left, like the two glass "fins" on opposing corners. It's also really cool that you can see the balcony levels in the winter gardens going up the corners. That's going to look incredible once the trees are put in

• 3 weeks later...

Some low-quality photos of the sky gardens on the tower. These are really nice, and completely unlike anything in Charlotte:

SSPX0259.jpg

SSPX0261.jpg

SSPX0262.jpg

From the Avenue. If you look at the bottom right corner of the tower, you can see one of the sky gardens lit up. The three lowest floors are also being upfit, which is why they're so bright:

SSPX0264.jpg

The finishes in this tower are really outstanding, especially in the Winter Garden (no photos of that one, sorry, but you can see into it across the pedestrian bridge from Founder's Hall). I'm also liking how the corner of College and 5th is turning out - there's a pretty big set back plaza there that will have some cool vegetation and water features.

Some low-quality photos of the sky gardens on the tower. These are really nice, and completely unlike anything in Charlotte

Thanks for posting these. I have to go take a look myself, but I think you are right - I think this is definitely unique in Charlotte.

Is the plan still for trees every all the way the side of the building in the multiple sky gardens?

Thanks for posting these. I have to go take a look myself, but I think you are right - I think this is definitely unique in Charlotte.

Is the plan still for trees every all the way the side of the building in the multiple sky gardens?

Aye. I believe they're already installed about half way up on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been all that happy with the pedestrian level treatment of this building but I do like the changing color LED lights they put under the 2 overstreet walkways. It really gets your attention and more importantly lights up that area at night and gives that block some much needed energy.

I have not been all that happy with the pedestrian level treatment of this building but I do like the changing color LED lights they put under the 2 overstreet walkways. It really gets your attention and more importantly lights up that area at night and gives that block some much needed energy.

I think they are a bit cheesy....if they were just plain lights maybe (Paris, NY feel)....but blue, white & red?? blah.....

i thought they looked great (the red/white/blue didn't bother me and i didn't find it any cheesier than any other multi-color choice), but WERE a bit distracting as i was driving home. it makes that stretch of College feel that much more like an entertainment district, which is cool, but i wouldn't mind if they tone down the motion a bit. maybe just a slow fade color to color.

WOW, I'm impressed. Charlotte has a Ritz-Carlton!!!!! They don't just put there brand any place in the USA! Its a sure sign Charlotte has crossed the line into Major US city. Thats if anybody doubted it. This destroy's any doubt. Congrats Charlotte. I'm from Norfolk,VA and I'm very impressed with the progress of Charlotte and the growth. I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in many cities and its TOP OF THE HOTEL LINE along with The Four Seasons and a few other upper crust hotels and expensive. WOW, Charlotte is a true major city getting a Ritz, I'm impressed! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.giffun.gif

• 1 month later...

I took my inaugural walk down the the east side of College Street. It's a nice wide sidewalk. That's all I have to say for the positive side of things. For all of the curtains in that glass building we may as well have build the concrete wall that's part of the Omni. I also don't like that the curbs don't line up with the Epicenter.

I will say that the corner at 5th & College feels very open and plaza-like. That setback area could become pretty cool once they're done with it.

I read a "Tweet" from CLTBlog that the new BofA tower will be 100% occupied by BofA. I initially thought it was only going to be partially used by the bank. Did they lease out space to other companies in their other towers to accomodate this?

Yeah I don't think that's true unless something has changed very recently. I think it will be 100% occupied by BofA in the sense that they will be the only tenant in the building at the outset.

Having said that, the office space in there rocks. I'd love to work in that building.

Well, after 20 years or so, Bank of America finally put a sign on Tryon St so pedestrians will know where Bank of America Corporate Center is. If only it was taller, then people might be able to find it [/sarcasm]. Anyway, it matches what they have installed on College St, but I still think it's unnecessary.

Archived