Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

Almost all BAC employees in 201 N. Tryon are now moving over to the new 1 BAC throughout the summer. Speaking of which, has everyone seen all the rebranding there? There are about 10 "5/3 Center" signage in lobby and outside on street front. Rumor is also that Zink will become a 5/3 banking center to gain visibility on Tryon.

BTW, I've been a lurker on here for years (since the noise from pilings for Avenue drove me crazy at work every day). Just finally decided to get an account!

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost all BAC employees in 201 N. Tryon are now moving over to the new 1 BAC throughout the summer. Speaking of which, has everyone seen all the rebranding there? There are about 10 "5/3 Center" signage in lobby and outside on street front. Rumor is also that Zink will become a 5/3 banking center to gain visibility on Tryon.

BTW, I've been a lurker on here for years (since the noise from pilings for Avenue drove me crazy at work every day). Just finally decided to get an account!

Welcome. I haven't seen the new 5/3 signage. I would hate to lose Zink though.

Pamlico Capital, the private equity firm spun off by Wachovia, will be on the 22nd floor. BofA is taking everything up to 21. There are no signed tenants that I'm aware of on floors 23-30, and are all currently for lease.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I'm impressed. Charlotte has a Ritz-Carlton!!!!! They don't just put there brand any place in the USA! Its a sure sign Charlotte has crossed the line into Major US city. Thats if anybody doubted it. ..... WOW, Charlotte is a true major city getting a Ritz, I'm impressed! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.giffun.gif

Of course everyone that loves Charlotte is delighted to have a Ritz Carlton.:)

Don't mean to rain on your enthusiasm, but the hotel was specifically brought to Uptown, by the Bank of America corporation. It wasn't as if Ritz Carlton did an expansion study and determined Charlotte would be a gold mine for them.

Bank of America agreed to "guarantee" a certain percentage of rooms every day, to ensure the hotel is profitable. That "guarantee" is for the bank's out-of-town people the bank wants to put up. I've not heard yet how many rooms the hotel typically sells.

I predicted a long time ago that BofA's guarantee will end up being a moot point, as I think the hotel will become profitable very quickly on it's own.

Of course everyone that loves Charlotte is delighted to have a Ritz Carlton.:)

Don't mean to rain on your enthusiasm, but the hotel was specifically brought to Uptown, by the Bank of America corporation. It wasn't as if Ritz Carlton did an expansion study and determined Charlotte would be a gold mine for them.

Bank of America agreed to "guarantee" a certain percentage of rooms every day, to ensure the hotel is profitable. That "guarantee" is for the bank's out-of-town people the bank wants to put up. I've not heard yet how many rooms the hotel typically sells.

I predicted a long time ago that BofA's guarantee will end up being a moot point, as I think the hotel will become profitable very quickly on it's own.

Well, I know my dad came into town last weekend (the weekend before race week) and tried to stay there on Friday night. No luck, as the hotel was booked 100%. Usually weekends are not the busiest time for hotels here in Charlotte. Weekdays are usually much busier for the hotel business because of business travel. But the fact that the hotel was booked on a Friday seems like a good sign that there is a decent demand.

1 Bank of America Center makes its "debut" today as it opens its doors. Also, BofA will now fully occupy this building, minus Pamlico using the 22nd floor, as they've pulled the leasing ads. I don't believe they have will have it all occupied at once when it opens. Some space will remain open and will be filled as needed by BofA when consolidating space in uptown or (as we all like to hear) they add new jobs.

Well, I know my dad came into town last weekend (the weekend before race week) and tried to stay there on Friday night. No luck, as the hotel was booked 100%. Usually weekends are not the busiest time for hotels here in Charlotte. Weekdays are usually much busier for the hotel business because of business travel. But the fact that the hotel was booked on a Friday seems like a good sign that there is a decent demand.

Actually that's pretty amazing, since Uptown Charlotte is primarily known as a "Mon-Fri business city". The fact that the hotel was completely booked on a Friday night shows a high demand for top shelf hotel rooms.

Guaranteed rooms or not, I agree with usermel---having a Ritz Carlton is some pretty impressive stuff.:)

btw Seattle doesn't even have a Ritz. However Seattle has a W Hotel. Charlotte definitely needs one. It's a fabulous hotel.

Took my lunch up into the new urban garden space of 1BAC today. It's very pleasant - much more comfortable than Founder's Hall IMO. They've got optical scanners at the elevator bay entrances, though, that kinda look like Cylons staring at you.

The exterior plaza at 5th and College is pretty nice, too. The big water wall is almost too loud, though, to sit near for lunch. You'd end up yelling at whoever you're eating with. The big glass space along 5th street is advertised as available retail.

Took a look through the building (public spaces that is) and love it. I don't think the water feature is too loud at all and I love the view of the Bank of America Tower from the third floor urban garden.

I can't wait for the retail to open. On a related note it makes me think that Founder's Hall should really be gunning for more clothing retailers as one is now drawn into the hall from the bank building in a way that previously did not exist before.

^^^ I have to revisit to see if I get the same impression. I do remember that it was prominent , but I can't say off hand if I thought it blocked the plaza.

I do think the one on the third floor (or is it second?) urban garden by the escalators was interesting. I wouldn't think it would be necessary to have one there unless perhaps they are expecting to really have a busy retail area?

Just a reminder - 1BAC is having an open house today from 2-4. It will include tours and you will get to see spaces that are not otherwise open to the public.

Well, I guess I'm going to 1 Bank of America today. Thanks for reminding/informing!!! ^_^

Is the glass actually different colors or is it reflection off some other surfaces? Either way very cool pic.

Its a reflection of the blue sky vs. the shadow of Bofa Center.

Is the glass actually different colors or is it reflection off some other surfaces? Either way very cool pic.

The glass does have a bit of a green tint to it (depending on the angle) but I've noticed it REALLY looks green through a polarizer filter, like in this photo.

• 2 months later...

The College Street video wall of 1BofA is going in and should be operational in September. http://www.charlotte...of-america.html

Do we have any idea what will be displayed on the Video Wall? My first thought about what I'd like to see is scenes from around the Charlotte Region (but that might be a really "not-well" thought out idea).

• 1 month later...

Archived