Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I had read that as well...in the CBJ I beleive.

I am not sure how the new office tower will affect those plans. I hope they do open up Founders Hall to College St. The next block over with the Holiday Inn which has a lot of street level retail...and the Hearst with lots of street level retail...has a really nice pedestrian feel to it. That little block almost always has a good number of pedestrians walking it.

If they opened up Founders Hall and put in some street level retail, then that would extend that pedestrian activity down a block...and then EpiCentre even a block further.

This was just announced yesterday and people are bashing it already bc of the retail? Adjustments may still be made. Relax

I agree, I mean, these are the first renderings they have put out there, hardly the final designs. I'm sure with Epicentre, the arena, and being a block away from the Square, BoA will capitalize on the retail possibilities. Bank pay people to make them more money; I mean, they are the largest (or second largest depending on measurement) bank in America, you'd think they'd be able to figure it out. I'm sure when one of their lackies jumps on UP and reads all of our gripes, he'll send it through the grapevine.

Thinking realistically here...how much do we really believe that the BAC "powers that be" are concerned about street level retail? What responsibility do they have as civic partners to incorporate this into their projects? I don't know the answer, just asking the question.

Well I think they do have concern when it comes to the clients they are trying to impress and woe. After all that is one of the reasons they are bringing Ritz into the picture. It only makes sense to add some higher profile retail and entertainment into the picture.

I work in the commercial & film industry, and we usually work out of hotels when production companies come in. The majority of the time we work out of hotels in Southpark mainly because of the quick access to high dollar retail,restaurant selection and quality of the hotels. The producers usally want to be in an area with these options to please their clients. However a lot of clients seem to prefer Uptown, because of the walkability and nightlife, however due to the lack of retail I hear a lot of complaining from directors and clients about how there is no place to shop in Uptown. Even to buy something as simple as tennis shoes or a book or CD. Im sure BofA has similar concerns/problems when trying to please their clients.

In response to BoA's commitment to retail space, they are planning a redesign to founders hall (in whole) and on the eastern side, adding street retail to college that faces the Ritz. Can you imagine staying at the Ritz and having to see an ugly wall.

I dont think many (if any) rooms will be facing west toward Founder's Hall. Most of the rooms will be facing south toward 210 Trade and north toward the new BofA tower just announced.

I keep hearing and reading rumors that BofA plans to put street retail somehow as part of Founder's Hall. I have no idea what is possible or how much they are planning to spend, but if they do, then this area could start to become a retail hub. That is, if they don't forget street retail space at the ground of this project, which would seem very unlike modern-day BofA and their architects.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thinking realistically here...how much do we really believe that the BAC "powers that be" are concerned about street level retail? What responsibility do they have as civic partners to incorporate this into their projects? I don't know the answer, just asking the question.

I don't know Lewis' feelings on it - but if you read anything on McColl, he describes Gateway as his vision to make Charlotte the type of place where people can work, live, shop, dine, etc all within mixed use and having street level retail. Gateway was his pet project and was built the way it is to encourage street level retail, community, etc...

I keep hearing and reading rumors that BofA plans to put street retail somehow as part of Founder's Hall. I have no idea what is possible or how much they are planning to spend, but if they do, then this area could start to become a retail hub. That is, if they don't forget street retail space at the ground of this project, which would seem very unlike modern-day BofA and their architects.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think they would forget

I know the Founders Hall redesign keeps being mentioned, but I'm not sure anyone has ever seen the text, as it was from the CBJ print edition. Here is a few paragraphs describing the plan.

Sources close to Bank of America's planning process say the bank is seeking to make the 40,000-square-foot Founders Hall more accessible, in part, to be ready for the 2008 arrival of the $60 million Ritz Carlton hotel that is under construction at College and Trade streets.

Several Founders Hall retailers confirm bank officials have discussed rearranging the retail layout to make it friendlier to street traffic. According to sources familiar with the planning, a Washington-based consultant has been working with BofA on a Founders Hall makevoer for the past several months.

and....

A key component to the shift would be the relocation of Presbyterian Healthcare's satellite physician practices, which face College Street at the base of Founders Hall. Hospital officials confirm they are considering several alternative locations, including the EpiCentre, across Trade Street from Founders Hall.

I still don't see how they are going to add street level retail on College. The bottom level of Founders Hall is one level above College Street, so it's not just a matter of adding street level entrances, and changing the facing of the individual stores to make them more friendly to the outside pedestrian. I also don't think any current Founders Hall tennants are at street level.

I still don't see how they are going to add street level retail on College. The bottom level of Founders Hall is one level above College Street, so it's not just a matter of adding street level entrances, and changing the facing of the individual stores to make them more friendly to the outside pedestrian. I also don't think any current Founders Hall tennants are at street level.

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Well I assume the Presby office space is at the street level, and once they relocate, they can open that space up to have street level entraces to the new retail space.

For the most part, I think it just be that the entrance along college will be made much more noticable, with perhaps the staircase redone to bring people from street level up into the atrium.

I'm thinking something like a mini-Time Warner Center in NYC, which doesn't have much retail access along the exterior, but it is very inviting to enter to see all the retail inside.

Yeah, David Walters trashed it in Sunday's Observer. He is right, the bridge will be very wide making College St. very dark--day and night--in that block. One of the challenges of Founders Hall is that the corner of College and 5th is all below grade and is the rehersal space for the Charlotte Symphony and anything else that's going on in the Blumenthal. There is nowhere to move that to within the complex.

Yeah, David Walters trashed it in Sunday's Observer. He is right, the bridge will be very wide making College St. very dark--day and night--in that block. One of the challenges of Founders Hall is that the corner of College and 5th is all below grade and is the rehersal space for the Charlotte Symphony and anything else that's going on in the Blumenthal. There is nowhere to move that to within the complex.

They could incorporate it into the the "Winter Garden" side somehow. Or, they may add more space in whenever they redesign Founders Hall.

I also hope the floors of the skybridge are constructed with some type of reinforced glass so that daylight can come through. I'm sure that BoA will spend a'plenty on lighting under the skybridge if not. There's no way they would allow a dark alleyway be right in front of their retail 'center.'

Archived