Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

As all of you do, I would have loved to have thought that BofA tearing down the parking deck was a way to make their project bigger and better. Sorry guys, the reason why they are imploding the deck is this: The foundation for the office tower has to go about 50-75 feet to the east (towards the LRT) which would put it near the middle of the parking deck. Since they have to dig down to put in footings and the foundation, it is easier to implode the deck than dig under or retrofit or however else they would do it. I am not sure if that was a mix-up or was the idea all along. Regardless, the project plan is still status quo, original construction plans are determining the parking deck implosion.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So when are they going too knock down the parking deck anyone know. I'm going to school in wilmington now so I'm having to watch the construction from the 210 trade webcam. I definately hope they have retail in the new parking deck, and maybe make it pleasing to the eye like the new parking decks at the airport.

This makes a lot more sense now. It never occurred to me that because the tower would be partially built over the deck, the foundation would also have to be placed below that deck. I was thinkin before that it couldn't possibly be that hard to retrofit a parking deck to be able to hold three more floors. This way they can also make the new deck better built to sustain proper temperatures since it will be housed in glass.

I'm guessing that they will tear the deck down sooner than later because at some point their current digging will be entirely in vain if they have to implode the deck, sending debris down into the hole. Also, I would imagine that putting the foundation down all at one time would be a much easier task. I keep wanting to think that the bank will take this opportunity to built taller, but in all seriousness (aside from my sleep deprived delusion earlier) I can't imagine they would. If BoA were to ever build a new tallest, I can't imagine they would build it right next to their current crown.

Also, I do empathize with the bankers that currently park in that deck. It is frustrating enough trying to find parking on UNCC's campus when they close the top level of the decks when it snows, we're talking here about an eight floor parking deck. That's a lot of parking to find nearby for at least two years. First the skybridge to Founder's Hall, now this. I'd hate to work in BoA's HR right now.

From what I heard the parkers are being taken care of, although I don't know how. Also, the parking deck should be coming down in the next two-three months, although with construction we all know this can change. After driving past it today, it still amazes me that two superblocks will be completely redeveloped in such a short amount of time. I don't have any quantative data to support this, but Charlotte is most likely going through the most development at one time in the history of this city with regards to urban development. Very Exciting!!

Maybe the bank could time closing of this deck to coincide with the opening date of part or all of the light rail line. That would be the perfect impetus to create a policy encouraging employees to take the train. I hope that with the light rail stopping right at their doorstep, they'll lower their ratio of parking spaces per emploee quite a bit.

The official opening date is November 26th, right? That's 8 months off, so perhaps the bank won't want to wait that long to tear the deck down. Weren't some folks around here speculating that it could open ahead of schedule north of Scaeybark?

Wouldn't the engineers have been smart enough to know whether or not a Parking deck structure was sound enough to carry the weight of an office tower before initial digging began???

I guess why I ask this, is becuase it almost seems ridiculous for the development team to have "just" figured out that the parking deck could not support another structure. ;) If they are just now getting around to figuring out the structural integrity on the parking deck, should we really feel confident in their ability to erect a 32 story High Rise and luxury Hotel. I would feel real concerned occupying a structure erected by a group of people who could not figure out if a deck needed to first be imploded, or just be used in the total project. Kind of makes me concerned with who is building these massive projects and high rises. :shok:

(Was this the plan all along, and we are just now finding out???)

A2

Maybe the bank could time closing of this deck to coincide with the opening date of part or all of the light rail line. That would be the perfect impetus to create a policy encouraging employees to take the train. I hope that with the light rail stopping right at their doorstep, they'll lower their ratio of parking spaces per emploee quite a bit.

The official opening date is November 26th, right? That's 8 months off, so perhaps the bank won't want to wait that long to tear the deck down. Weren't some folks around here speculating that it could open ahead of schedule north of Scaeybark?

That's a nice thought I'd agree but how many people who use that deck actually live in the south line corridor? I'd be very very few.

That's a nice thought I'd agree but how many people who use that deck actually live in the south line corridor? I'd be very very few.

I concur. Most of the bankers probably live in South Charlotte, Myers Park, or perhaps up 77. Not that there are not people living in South End and further down South Blvd that are in the BofA complex, but my guess would be that it is such a piss ant amount of people that in the end there would only be a slight increase in ridership (if any), from the lack of a deck.

A2

A2, we are just finding it out now but I can't believe they didn't know this all along. It just so happens they kept it a secret for a while, that's all.

I hope they were just keeping if from the public. If not, than suffice it to say, I am not to confident in the engineers of the BofA project. Kind of scary actually. :unsure:

A2

I concur. Most of the bankers probably live in South Charlotte, Myers Park, or perhaps up 77. Not that there are not people living in South End and further down South Blvd that are in the BofA complex, but my guess would be that it is such a piss ant amount of people that in the end there would only be a slight increase in ridership (if any), from the lack of a deck.

A2

My mother used to work for BoA uptown way back when. She had people in her department from pretty much every corridor out there. In fact, I think most of her friends from work lived in either Iredell, Cabarrus, and Rock Hill. You'd be surprised just how many of those uptown bankers are suburbanites dependent on our interstates.

A2

That's just it, though. Perhaps it will be less hassle / or cheaper for people living in Myers Park, Ballantyne, Fort Mill or wherever to drive to the LRT line and ride the train to work while this deck is out of comission. If the parking spaces aren't there, they're just not there. You can't park 4,000 cars where there are only 2,500 spaces. Getting off topic, but you better believe that these same people will think long and hard about taking the train if (when) I-77 is ever widened.

While looking at the Ritz website I found the highlighted area interesting... could be because of link w/ BofA Corp. tower... or not.

Hotel Information

Treat yourself to a sophisticated retreat of decadence and impeccable service. The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte is among the city

That makes no sense. The Ritz is stand-alone, not even a part of the new office tower, is it? Perhaps that let slip out some pre-announcement planning that never got off the ground.

I'd say it's a typo. It's not the only one on their Charlotte site either. That's really disappointing they don't understand PROOF READING...

While looking at the Ritz website I found the highlighted area interesting... could be because of link w/ BofA Corp. tower... or not.

Hotel Information

Treat yourself to a sophisticated retreat of decadence and impeccable service. The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte is among the city

I'm guessing its a typo too, and was suppose to read how A2 wrote it. BUT.... What if the reason we haven't seen any new renderings since the very first one, and the reason we haven't heard anything more about this project (its been very quiet), and the reason they are having to implode the parking garage all of a sudden (beause of an engineering mistake), is because this project has been reworked into a single building? Add a bunch more office space and stack the hotel on top, could it be a new tallest?

Just a thought...

Mo, As much as I have dreamt of that possibility, I don't see BoA doing that right next to their current signature tower. If this tower is reworked, I still think it will only compliment the crown, not overshadow it. Then again, I'd just love for this to be true, but I doubt it.

I hadn''t realized how far along in the digging they had gotten. The TTT webcam doesn't really show depth very well over there.

mo, the same thoughts crossed my mind... i don't think it would be completely unrealistic. however, to deduce that from the ritz website wording would mean that the hotel component would be located on the top floors.... which could be very interesting.

with all the announced projects that threaten their height reign - coupled with the need for more office space - i could see it. i admit it would be a strange place to put a new tallest as it would block out a prominent view, and don't they still own the parking lot next to the fox and the hound? that would be a better location for a new BofA signature tower.

i would love to see a new tallest if it were anything like their new NYC bryant park tower.

Archived