Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EyeofDTIger75

Shreve City

63 posts in this topic

Well they have started building the frame of the new Walmart Supercenter in Shreve City. I cant wait til they get this open. I wont have to make a 15 minute drive to South Shreveport, or North Bossier.

Well they have started building the frame of the new Walmart Supercenter in Shreve City. I cant wait til they get this open. I wont have to make a 15 minute drive to South Shreveport, or North Bossier.

Very cool! Last time I was over there they were still pushing around dirt. Do you live pretty close to there? I think it'll be a huge deal to people living within 5 miles of it. It's been said that it's supposed to be an "upscale" store as well. Makes me want to see it even more! :)

I work in the Southpoint Office building right behind Shreve City on Knight Street, and I live over by Centenary College. Walmart has really revived Shreve City. It looks alot better now then it did a year ago.

I'm hoping this is just the beginning. After Wal-Mart opens, it could start to look even better.

I saw a grid of the Shopping center online and it shows that along with Wal-Mart, there will be another "Anchor" store build on the site where the old Dillards used to be. SO it ought to bring in more buisness to this part of town.

Very interesting. I saw a site plan but I don't remember if there was something else or not. It would be nice for Shreve City.

By the way, welcome, glad you could make it! I'm the guy who sent you the link by email. :)

That's cool. I'm interested in how this will turn out as well -- I grew up near Shreve City and my family still lives there.

I did get an opportunity to drive by the site of the new Wal-Mart on Sunday. They have been working 7 days a week on this project and it's coming along FAST. I'd estimate that 1/6, possibly even 1/5 of the walls are standing already. They were pushing dirt around the parking lot area like it was going out of style. There was an entire crew out there working on Sunday... that's quite expensive for a company to pay, so obviously Wal-Mart is ready to get going. They did say that once construction was to begin, it would go up rapidly. They certainly didn't lie!

I wish I knew a timeframe...

I would imagine, if they're going that fast, June or July isn't out of the question.

I would imagine, if they're going that fast, June or July isn't out of the question.

On second thought, that might've been a tad too conservative (bump that up to April-May). Once they get the roof on, it's all downhill.

On second thought, they might've been a tad too conservative (bump that up to April-May). Once they get the roof on, it's all downhill.

That may be possible as well. You're right, once it's dried in, they can run with it. No weather delays at that point.

That "Anchor B" building is the old Dillard's building they demolished, isn't it? If so I don't know why its still on their plans as a 2-story building.

That "Anchor B" building is the old Dillard's building they demolished, isn't it? If so I don't know why its still on their plans as a 2-story building.

Thats my thought too. I dont know why it is still in the grid. But I will tell you this, I am watching the crew put up the walls to the Supercenter. Weather permitted, I wouldnt doubt this thing will be up and running by Valentines day. They are already hiring for this store at the other Walmarts.

That's cool. It'll be cool to have a walmart in the center of the metro, away from the trafficky Airline Dr and Youree.

Do they have plans to build another building where Dillard's was? Last I read they were going to pave it as parking for the new walmart.

I like seeing old shopping centers get new life. Personally I'd like to see Shreve City get a facelift and maybe some more greenery in its huge parking lot. The new store's definitely a step in the right direction for them

That's cool. It'll be cool to have a walmart in the center of the metro, away from the trafficky Airline Dr and Youree.

Do they have plans to build another building where Dillard's was? Last I read they were going to pave it as parking for the new walmart.

I like seeing old shopping centers get new life. Personally I'd like to see Shreve City get a facelift and maybe some more greenery in its huge parking lot. The new store's definitely a step in the right direction for them

The concrete curbing that is all throughout that parking lot needs to be ripped out, along with the covered walkways, and replaced with landscape islands lined with trees. Maximize the efficiency of the parking area by using today's standards, and maximize landscaping by applying the city's ordinances of today.

I'm sure the Shreveport planning department would require a certain percentage of the site to be landscaping, right? Even if only a portion of it is being redeveloped.

I'm assuming the entire Wal-Mart site will have to be landscaped but nothing else, since the entire center isn't being redeveloped.

Hopefully Walmart will spur enough development there to justify upgrading Shreve City. When south youree blew up, they redeveloped that shopping center on Youree and E 70th. They did a pretty good job of it.

It's weird they used to have a store where Super 1 is at, closed it, and now are coming back to the area. I guess that site wasn't big enough to turn into a supercenter or decided it wasn't worth it at the time

My guess is that Shreve City will be revived now that Walmart is u/c. Someone (or hopefully several people) will foresee the amount of traffic the new Walmart will generate and they'll want to capitalize on the opportunity. Upgrading the center and attracting new tenants to lure some of that traffic will happen.

Traffic.......will SHreveport-Barksdale be able to handle the amount of traffice. The Intersections at Knight and Dee Streets are already a nightmare and are an accident waiting toi happen cause of those side streets.