Shreve City

EyeofDTIger75

Well, it used to have even more traffic back when Shreve City was the "happening place," so I'd say yes. It's just going to be a bit of an adjustment for people who've gotten used to having less traffic along there. The service roads are there for congestion reduction, so they should assist with that. The biggest issue will be dealing with the traffic while the second span of the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge is still under reconstruction. It bottlenecks pretty bad right there now as it is, and Wal-Mart will just add to that. Once both bridges are open, I foresee the traffic moving more smoothly again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes I agree the acsess roads were build to help traffic, but i have seen MAY possible wrecks happen by peopel whipping off SBH onto the access roads with a diagnale turn, instead of a right hand turn then a left hand turn. I have almost been hit several times. I had heard a rumor that Walmart was trying to get the access road closed. but i am not sure.

That would be quite interesting, but I wonder if the city would allow it. Of course it seems the city will do almost anything for Wally World.

These days, the issue at the forefront of Shreveport's traffic engineering department is flow. If they believe closing the access road will impede flow, they'll fight the closure.

On a related note, they've finally started construction of a turn lane off Clyde Fant for the Riverwalk Apartments and Island Park development. This was a requirement of the city because of the increased traffic brought to that area by Island Park and will greatly improve safety issues in that area. As it stands now, many people who turn into Island Park and Riverwalk Apartments do not pull onto the shoulder to turn, they turn from the right lane.

An additional safety feature I believe is needed on Clyde Fant at that point is a caution light. A blinking red light for those ccrossing over from the northbound lanes toward Island Park, and a blinking yellow light warning those heading southbound on the Parkway.

What is in the actual Shreve City strip mall now? I remember going there and Heart O' Bossier back in the day before the real malls (that are now all dying). At times, there was a Dillards, Sams, Fashion Gal (?), United Jewelers, PharMore, maybe a Palais Royale way back when??? I think I used to go there for school uniforms. Anyone remember what else?

What is in the actual Shreve City strip mall now? I remember going there and Heart O' Bossier back in the day before the real malls (that are now all dying). At times, there was a Dillards, Sams, Fashion Gal (?), United Jewelers, PharMore, maybe a Palais Royale way back when??? I think I used to go there for school uniforms. Anyone remember what else?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well just a quick update on the new Wal-Mart.

I am no expert on construction, but it looks like things are really progressing over there. They now have light fully functioning inside and you can now see the complete facing on the front of the store. They are currently white washing all the cinder block on the outside of the building. You can now tell that the Garden Center and Auto Service Center will be on the Knight Street Side.

Also, They have closed off the access road that runs parallel with Shreveport-Barksdale right in front of the Exxon. They have made a concrete curb that run from the east bound of Shreveport-Barksdale to the parking lot of Exxon. Also they have Lengthened the turn lane to Knight Street on the West bound side of Sport-Barksdale and created a new turn lane to Knight Street from the East Bound Traffic as well.

Just a few updates,

I will keep yall informed of any other changes or advancements on my end of town

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived