Democrats Control Congress Now

monsoon

Allen has conceded defeat in the Senate election. This gives the Democrats full control of the United States Congress. This is the first time this has happened since the early Ronald Reagan Days. Thank god the "Republican Revolution" is finally over and we can have a return to more respectful goverment.

This is a topic to discuss the change to our government.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Allen has conceded defeat in the Senate election. This gives the Democrats full control of the United States Congress. This is the first time this has happened since the early Ronald Reagan Days. Thank god the "Republican Revolution" is finally over and we can have a return to more respectful goverment.

The debt isn't an issue as long the economy grows. Once recession hits, however, it becomes quite a serious issue indeed.

Domestic spending only increased 2% over the last few years if we don't account for Homeland Security and the war. That's reasonable, but the waste in homeland security was just astounding.

It takes more than 1/3rd of the federal budget now just to pay the interest on the debt. This means that 1 out of every 3 dollars you pay to the goverment is for debt servicing. It sure does make a difference because if this requirement was not there, the Feds could cut your taxes by 1/3rd. Bush and the GOPs endless borrowing has made this problem worse.

Tax cuts can only be accomplished and maintained by controls in spending. We have not had that.

Today, interest payments require about 10% of our tax receipts as opposed to 16% a few decades ago. Tax receipts are at their highest levels ever, even with (maybe because of) the tax cuts. With the percentage of income going to paying the interest being only 10%, the United States is very far from defaulting on the debt indeed. Certainly, the deficit is indeed the highest ever in nominal dollar terms, but as a percentage of GDP it is lower than it was during the 1980s.

Growth solves most economic problems, and there is strong correlation between less taxation and economic growth.

Note: I am not for deficit spending, and the wars, but as it stands now, we are not too close to a doomsday scenario.

In ideal situations this is certainly true. If you can make sure to control the future this is true also (making sure there is no recession, making sure the corporations that are benefitting stay strong until the payback comes, etc). Since both of those situations are impossible in the real world, spending as fast as we can while cutting taxes seems like a horrible idea. This is what tends to bring most individuals to bankruptsy.

No one wants to pay taxes. We all want the services we are used to though. To me the real issue isn't taxes but government waste of my tax dollars. All politicians are part of this problem, it isn't a democrat or republican problem.

As for the democrats taking full control -- IT IS TIME!!! No single party should be in power this long. The president has rammed his ideals at all of us with a roll-over Congress that won't do its job of oversight.

I hope there is civility, but I also hope there is accountability for what has gone on for the past few years. Halliburton, wire-tapping, torture...those things CAN'T be ignore, nor should they shut down all other aspects of Congress getting to work. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

In the FY07 Budget, interest on the debt was the 4th largest item in the budget.

• Social Security - $581B

• Defense Spending - $434B

• Medicare - $387B

• Interest payments on Debt - $247B

Given there are dedicated taxes for SS and Medicare, then this means the Interest on the debt is only behind the military in what is being taken from the budget. To put this money into perspective there was only $1.5B made available this year to build new mass transit systems in this country.

The interest is a huge drag on the economy and it continues to rise every year and will still be there even when the economy is not growing.

Its a huge concern.

I over spoke on the percentage of the federal budget. However you can see from the figure that I posted above, it is second only to the military in the total amount spent. And it is only slated to continue to rise each year.

Also it sould be noted the Chinese now hold about 1 trillion of this debt. Most of it acquired in the last few years. What do you think would happen to our economy if they decided to sell off this debt?

200 members of the European Parliament issued a joint statement about the complete sundering of the GOP in this election. They sent a congratulatory message to the Democrats, hailing their victory as 'the beginning of the end of a six-year nightmare for the world.'"

I couldn't agree more. It's nice to be welcomed back to the world community and its my guess the rest of the world feels a little bit better about America after this election.

Archived