Democrats Control Congress Now

monsoon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NPR did a report on that not too long ago. According to their findings, the economy surges when workers earn more. If the poor have more money to spend, they spend more money. This helps businesses and more than offsets their loss through wage increases, in most cases.

On the other hand, tax cuts for the wealthy and for big business don't provide much of an economic boost because that money tends to be pocketed, rather than recirculated.

The simple fact is, in the wealthiest society on Earth, no one should have to work two or three three jobs just to survive.

And expecting loyalty from employees treated like peons is foolish both economically, and in understanding the basic fundamentals of human nature: the money you save, will be spent when those employees quit to move on to better employment at the soonest possible occasion - you'll forever be employing trainees.

It should also be noted that poverty has other major costs: the money saved by some in paying rock-botom wages is shelled out by other taxpayers in the form of social services, criminal justice, etc. And expecting loyalty from employees treated like peons is foolish both economically, and in understanding the basic fundamentals of human nature: the money you save, will be spent when those employees quit to move on to better employment at the soonest possible occasion - you'll forever be employing trainees.

Yes, that will be the worst part. Soaking the 'rich' is part of the agenda. What's rich? North of $150k? I for one don't feel rich.

Good things that will happen:

- No war with Iran

- Gridlock in Congress

- More accountability (hopefully)

- Stem cell research allowed

- Secularism becomes the ruling force again

Well, you really aren't supposed to live on minimum wage. It is for trainer jobs that teach you skills you need to advance up the job ladder, such as showing up for work and showing up on time. You are supposed to educate and train yourself so you can rise up the job ladder and make more money. Sadly, there are some people who don't do this.

Another reminder to stick to the topic. If your post disappeared its because it was off topic.

:offtopic:

This is quickly getting off topic. Lets get back to discussion specific to the new Democratic congress and the Lame Duck GOP congress. This is a fundamental change to our government that has not happened in a long long time.

I think the Democrats know full well that they did not win this election. The Republicans lost. And we reaped the benefits because we are not "them". The utter disaster that Iraq has turned into was a major factor in the Democratic Wave and not because the country loves the Democratic Party. As a hardcore member of the liberal Democratic base , I would love to hold impeachment hearings for Bush and Cheney and go through all their missteps. However, I am pragmatic enough to know that this would play directly into the hands of the Republicans. So those of us on the left wing of the party have to be realists. Many of the newly elected Democrats are social and economic conservatives and in order to stay unified the Party has to incorporate and respect their views. Speaker Elect Nancy Pelosi is very tough and smart. She knows that in order to get things done, the new majority has to govern from the center and pass bills that appeal to the mainstream : minimum wage increase, tuition assistance for college, funding stem cell research. Two years is nothing politically and we could lose the majority as easily as it was won. In order to maintain a Democratic hold on Congress and add The White House in 08, centrism has to be the governing principle going forward.

"As a hardcore member of the liberal Democratic base , I would love to hold impeachment hearings for Bush and Cheney and go through all their missteps."

Impeachment is not for going through their missteps. Impeachment is for the commision of a crime.

I would like to see both parties return to the mainstream, but I think both of them are being led by the extremes.

How about committing War Crimes? Torturing prisoners is considered as such by the Genevia Convention and the USA is bound by treaty to prosecute its officials who commit them. It should be noted the recent "anti terrorism" bill recently passed by the GOP congress and signed into law by Bush specifically excluded them from being liable for having done this. It is a fact that most of the media missed.

I don't know how the new congress will deal with Bush officials on these matters in terms of impeachment. I think a lot depends upon what they uncover in terms of how bad these people really have been in obeying our laws.

Speaker Pelosi has said repeatedly in public that impeachment hearings are off the table and would be a waste of time. It's in the interest of both parties to cooperate as much as possible. Of course bipartisanship will not work on every issue, there will be some squabbling, this is inevitable. One of the contributing factors to the Republican defeat was their swing to the extreme right. The American public got turned off by that. They will have the same reaction if there is a tilt to the extreme left and the Democrats know it.

"A crime like denying a sexual encounter?"

Under oath, yes, a crime was committed. Perjury. He lost his law license for a year because of it.

Lying to Congress? Nope. Bad intel. At the most.

Torture? They may have something there, but if it goes to trial, I can gaurantee that unless there is more to the story than the pictures we all saw in the news, there's nothing there.

Archived