Democrats Control Congress Now

monsoon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets also remember the lying about the sexual encounter came from the result of a $90 million taxpayer paid for GOP witch hunt that lasted for 4 years where they tried to dig up dirt on Bill and Hillary Clinton. The premise for this witch hunt was their private investments in what was known as Whitewater development. This would have remained a private matter if the GOP had not been using this special investigator to examine very minute detail of the Clinton's lives. I find it commendable they were unable to find anything illegal other than lying about an affair he was having.

I have no doubt that if Bush was subjected to the same microscope they would turn up a lot more dirt.

I do have concerns that us progressive/liberals/netroots, whatever you want to call us will be left out in the cold. I am not overly alarmed though. Many of us more liberal Democrats understand that the Party has to tack to the center to govern effectively. And many of our issues have broad appeal: minimum wage hike, phased withdrawal from Iraq. The hardcore issues I care about such as advancing gay rights through pushing ENDA is already being talked about by Rep. Barney Frank. Protecting abortion rights is still important and I think the resounding defeat of the South Dakota referendum on banning abortion outright was a sign that the country is not prepared to overturn. Roe v. Wade. It's a reality that we have Pro Life Democrats now and the Party is going to have to expand and respect their views. The Democratic Party owes a great deal of success to the activist base. Without the constant drumbeat on Dailykos and Moveon.org and many others there would not be the energy and unity we see today. I realize that "bread and butter" issues have to come first but the liberal wing of the Democratic Party is not going to evaporate anytime soon.

It isn't "tearing down the other side" to hold criminals responsible for their actions. There will be investigations, and in the likely event that grounds for impeachment are found, it will happen. Pelosi's comments were appropriate because there has been no oversight, and therefore the grounds for impeachment hearings haven't been established. For the Democrats to call for impeachment now would be premature and inappropriate.

Bush & Co. may be despicable and I have little doubt they are criminals, but they have the right to due process.

I don't disagree at all and personally would love to see these criminals held accountable for what they have done to us, the Iraquis, the constitution, and the world, but I also think that two years is a short period and if the general public feels that all the Democrats did when they took power was seek revenge, then it will be felt at the next election. I know that might not be right, but it might be what is better for the country.

Polls show that a slim majority of the public supports impeachment now. I think that, as long as the Democrats push a good platform in other areas (they're off to a good start so far), seeking accountability against the Bush administration won't hurt, and is likely to boost their popularity. The american public is finally starting to see through the neocon spin machine.

Archived