Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rnc

Big Spring Park

9 posts in this topic

I just took a walk through Big Spring Park to check out the new addition that runs next to the Embassy Suites. It looks fantastic. The Thrasher fountain area is very nice. The canal terminates with a nice stair stepped falls into the creek. Does anyone know when they will start to clean up and landscape the creek area? Do you think they will keep that old railroad bridge? I can't wait for the Marketsquare redevelopment, it is really going to boost downtown. The connection of Big Spring Park to that development was great planning on the city's part.

I just took a walk through Big Spring Park to check out the new addition that runs next to the Embassy Suites. It looks fantastic. The Thrasher fountain area is very nice. The canal terminates with a nice stair stepped falls into the creek. Does anyone know when they will start to clean up and landscape the creek area? Do you think they will keep that old railroad bridge? I can't wait for the Marketsquare redevelopment, it is really going to boost downtown. The connection of Big Spring Park to that development was great planning on the city's part.

The way you guys are talking about how things are progressing, I guess I will need to make a trip up to H'ville very soon. However, soon will probably be after the holidays, but I will visit the region next holiday season.

I was kind of hoping they could work the RR bridge into the design, but oh well. I did see that grill, impressive. I wasn't overly impressed with the Embassy Suites design, but from close up it looks really nice. It blends in with the park nicely. I've seen the fountain spraying much higher before when driving by, it was pretty weak today.

The way you guys are talking about how things are progressing, I guess I will need to make a trip up to H'ville very soon. However, soon will probably be after the holidays, but I will visit the region next holiday season.

me too. i did hard time as a UAH student from 1994-1999, but downtown was never a draw. a bit distant from campus, but my point is that the downtown area wasn't in anyone's imagination as a place to go and hang. all this buzz makes me want to revisit it. last time i was at big spring was in 1998 (i think), when the foo fighters played at big spring jam. sounds like much has changed (or is changing) for the better downtown.

I wouldn't call downtown a hotspot yet, but it is improving quickly. Humphrey's and Sammy's have really brought the younger crowd downtown. Crossroads should help immensely too. There is also the new House of Brews on North Side Sq, which is very cool. Can you imagine what downtown would be like today if they had put UAH next to downtown, maybe on the north side? I understand their logic by putting it next to the research park, but campus doesn't even have a college feel, it just feels like an extension of the research park.

yeah, uah's campus has always been geared toward its tech mission, so in that sense (maybe only in that sense) the location is appropriate. in my circuitous 10-year route to a b.a. in history, my time at uah marked by far the best quality of liberal arts instruction i received (my experience included...birmingham-southern, auburn, athens state and uab.)

uah is not known for liberal arts, certainly, but it's too bad that the college doesn't have a liberal arts campus. it's too far gone, construction-wise, to have such a primary campus relocated to the center of town (much capital improvement has graced the current site since i graduated), but i wish that the average non-techie student at uah could experience a more urbane academic life. colleges such as florida's new school and the oxford college at emory have maintained separate campuses devoted to fostering liberal arts undergrad education, and such a move would be really cool at uah. far-fetched, i know. but i have a very close friend who refuses to relocate to huntsville for the very reason that uah and the town do not relate well spatially one to another. she'll be getting her english / history degree at alabama, despite the fact that uah has the medievalist with whom she would like to study. the college environment trumps the actual academics on offer, at least for her. a split campus won't happen, but i can dream...

i wonder how development will (or won't) affect the growing room as business areas and neighborhoods swallow up land around the research park area. i don't know what kind of plans for land use the government has, so i'm speculating, but perhaps there might come a time when there's no more room for new tenants (or expansion of existing ones) at the park? that sort of constraint might prompt university officials to consider other options for its non-tech campus functions. just as the med schools maintain extension campuses near dowtown hospitals, perhaps something similar might develop for the purely academic portion of the university. pretty optimistic, huh?