Midtown Development

Mojo

Earlier today I spoke with some people who were examining the two abandonned buildings (Can't remember their name, but I'll post a picture when I get home) behind the Garfield building, and the MOCAD. They said that they did a walk through of the buildings and are seeing what they can salvage, and what needs to be revamped. They didn't give me a start time for interior demolition, but said that I should see something (I can see the building from my living room) soon.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Look what I found.

Midtown%20Drawing.jpg

It's the South Village concept adjacent to Wayne State. Zero-setback and cornered structures are the key emphasis here, "closing in" Woodward and Forest Avenues and putting "eyes on the street". Enough of this "cars getting broken into in front of the police dept every single night w/o anyone witnessing it". (over use of " ") :shok: My only criticism is that they need to be a few stories higher to accurately meet the Woodward width/height ratio of true urban space.

Anyway, it looks like the bohemith lot across the street from the Whitney Restaurant also has development on it. And also the Woodward-Willis Mixed Use project. Construction is to start in 2006 (so there is about 15 days left to put the first shovel in the ground).

woodward_willis.jpg

That's a really cool illustration. I don't think they captured the hugenesss of Woodward though. But I wonder if that was intentional. :)

I remember seeing the second illustration a while ago and I like it it a lot. The only thing I don't like though, is that it seems like it's trying to be old. I hope that the project isn't permanently delayed.

It was scrapped not too long ago. It was affiliated, in some ways to WSU and the university got cold feet toward the end of deal making and chickened out. They thought it was too risky of an investment supposedly. You can find information on this type of stuff on their 2020 Plan.

Here's the link to what I posted above:

http://www.taktixsolutions.com/wsu.htm

Oh, and the Woodward-Willis project...It's pretty cool, I'd say. It's better than the drive-through DickMonalds and the suburban, dumpy sign for that Italian Restaurant all the way over on Cass...I forgot the name all of a sudden.

actually this project is far from dead, if you want to accept semi-hearsay. my good friend is on the board of governors at WSU med school and when this project was reported dead by the papers, he ended having a chat with Dr Irvin about it and according to the good doctor he says it's nothing like the papers reported it being, rather he just didn't want to go throught with yet, in this economic climate and he apparently also had some issues with Colin Hubbel. Yeah but anyway, this project is still on the boards it's just been put on the backburner for now.

I was doing some searching around google and Wayne State's site and came across this:

http://procard.wayne.edu/webfiles/FPM-Sout...Master_Plan.pdf

AND

http://procard.wayne.edu/webfiles/FPM-Sout...d_Elevation.pdf

Its not that old, so it would be safe to assume something is still on going with this.

Oh yeah, I found that here under Bid Opprotunities:

http://www.wayne.edu/wsupurch/

You'll notice the parking garage just went out for RFPs :)

Oh yah, Crotim is correct...Wayne is still gung-ho about developing the site. Also, the corner of Woodward and Warren will be redeveloped in the years to come (Utrecht art store) nastiness. But I think most people are aware of that. What is envisioned is a hotel and conference center.

Archived