Midtown Development

Mojo

Nope, the gas station is still there according the master plan. Remember the size of the project was the reason reported why the deal fell through, Hubbell wanted a larger project than WSU was willing to take on. It's nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it'd be, when it was said they wanted a smaller project. There's nothing really objectionable about their concept.

http://procard.wayne.edu/webfiles/FPM-Sout...Master_Plan.pdf

post-1035-1166163165_thumb.jpg

http://www.southend.wayne.edu/modules/news...hp?storyid=1570

Sears told The South End that WSU could not reach an agreement because the developer failed to show that their project could produce a strong enough income for the amount of debt required to finance it.

Crain

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't ever recall the developer being Hubbell. It was some other guy from Chicago. He had a similar (but different) design. The whole property, including the gas station was occupied by his designs. It was more or less 2 or 3 parking structures surrounded completely by residential structures.

D'Oh, It's bugging me now that I can't remember which firm this was.

The old renderings with the developer from Chicago that I'm familiar with had parking garages wrapped in residential buildings, completely hidden from view. Being this one will be on Forest, I'm really hoping it won't take away from the street and that it will have ground level retail. Very few WSU garages have that. The worst one is the Welcome Center Garage on Putnam across from the library and behind the Maccabees Building. The one bit of retail on Cass is nice, but they needed to go all out for Michi. :)

Haha, I did the computer rendering on the website :) I'm glad to finally be able to talk about this project on here openly instead of trying to hint things :)

dtown- Its a surface lot as of right now...

Re the parking garage... the rendering shows 5 stories... but its only going to be three from what I've heard. around 800 spaces I believe

That's good to hear about the parking. I always get a chuckle out of every parking garages being as large if not larger than the developments they serve. lol

Question, what will be the facade material for the apartment building? Knowing today's standards I'm guessing some GFRC or EIFS, or possibly precast and stained concrete. Also, to the highest point, how high does it measure?

I'm liking the framing back in of Woodward. First the Ellington, now South Village, and hopefully more to come. The scale is great, too.

The entire building, at this time, is designed in stained precast. The decision wasn't made yet if the precast was going to have brick reveals or not yet (these would only happen at the darker stain color).

I'm not exactly sure on the highest point, but I'll see if I can dig something up next week... I'm off for the holidays :)

Who are the architects of the structure, BTW?

I'm relieved to here that this is going to be precast concrete. If it can't be real brick or stone, precast can be made to look pretty close if done correctly. There's nothing worse than EIFS and GFRC, IMO. It's cheap...and it looks cheap, too. It would be great, though, if they decide to add some brick to it, though, like the Ellington.

The owners have been following the Ellington close... close enough that our design team went to detroit and toured the Ellington...

I don't think the structure architects have been chosen yet... the RFP went out two weeks ago I believe. In fact, here is the page that has the short list on it:

http://www.wayne.edu/wsupurch/Adv_bid/FPM-...Short_List.html

When you said structure, I was assuming you meant parking structure. The Residential building is being designed by Design Plus. The Parking structure, as you see it in the rendering, was just our conceptual designer putting something in there as a place holder for our original concept.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this article today:

Vacant land will be transformed into a five-story $20 million 155,000-square-foot residential apartment and retail building on Woodward Avenue. It will be called Studio One Apartments. Wayne State University (WSU) will spend an additional $12 million to construct an 800-space parking structure and pay for other site improvements that will support both the residential and retail components of the project.

• 1 month later...

^Totally agree! The Churchs Chicken across the street too. It HAS to be the next to go. Land is getting to be too valuable along Woodward to have a crappy drive thru restaurant taking up all that space. It attracts a LOT of garbage and is far from easy on the eyes. Especially wedged between the Garfield Building, the Church...and the gas station across the street. There's gas stations at Warren and I-75 for all your gas guzzling needs. Signs can be posted to direct motorists either to that location or to the stations further up across I-94.

Hip hip for the ground breaking though! :) It's only a matter of time that the Marathon gets the boot.

Archived