Midtown Development

Mojo

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I've been keeping a close eye on the project and it appears to me that the biggest obsticle right now is the brownfield cleanup. Every morning around 10am when I pass, there is nothing going on, but on my return home, I can tell that something had been done during the day.

For a while there, there had been mounds of dirt and debris that were covered in plastic and weighted down with boulders. I'd imagine that was so dust would be somewhat controled, and not polluting the surrounding area, let alone peoples' lungs. There is just a lot of old debris underneath the site that is hard to get at.

Judge for yourself from this view I took on Friday, June 1, 2007.

2007_0601DetDev06_01_070006.jpg

I'm also surprised the garage hasn't started yet. Not even the excavation. Usually, that comes first.

It looks very quality. Too bad they weren't already built when I first moved to Detroit. Not that I could have afforded them though...maybe with a roommate. But it's good to have this rental price point. It will be a good indicator that people with that kind of income show demand in renting in Midtown, particularly along Woodward. We already know there is a pent up demand for for-purchase housing. :)

That website is definitely impressive. I wish they could get the site clean up done already, I want to see this thing go vertical!

After going through the units, I actually noticed quite a few errors in the descriptions of the units regarding direction of view... I think I'll have to send an email tomorrow when I get to work

• 2 weeks later...

- sigh - the Ellington. I nearly laughed out loud at the d-5 conference at the Gem theater this past winter. Whenever the students and city planners threw together some images of mid rise development, they would copy and paste Ellingtons into the image. It was like the only building they knew. Need a 15 story building? no problem! Copy and paste 3 Ellington's together. But be sure to proceed to the next slide of the powerpoint quickly before people realize that there is a Starbucks on the 6th and 11th floors. You think with several dozen loft/condo buildings throughout the city, and probably a few thousand new ones in the Chicagoland area, they would have used a few more examples. lol

I agree though, it would be nice to see more density on that block. Although I'm actually a regular to that Church's Chicken, and filled up at that gas station a few times, I wouldn't mind seeing them being replaced.

^Funny story.

Church's can move into the ground level retail of the new Studio One Building and then we can bull doze the current one and develop the lot the way it should be. The gas stations should all be moved off Woodward and over to freeway access ramps.

Yes, I would propose rezoning Woodward Avenue. All existing gas stations are now nonconforming uses and will eventually be phased out. Convenience stores can be plentiful, they just can't sell gas and service your vehicle.

^Funny story.

Church's can move into the ground level retail of the new Studio One Building and then we can bull doze the current one and develop the lot the way it should be. The gas stations should all be moved off Woodward and over to freeway access ramps.

One would have to assume that if it began constrcution before the moratorium, which seems like the most likely possibility, that it would have been grandfathered in. There has to be some other explanation for it not having been built, then. What francize is it supposed to be, do you know? I know quite a few chains have been pulling out of cities, Shell being one of them.

Another possibility is that they decided it was a bad location because when the semi trucks come off the bridge they are forced out onto Fort St. and they then have to turn onto Clark St to get onto I-75 and it's basically an endless line of trucks at all hours of the day. A car driving by probably wouldn't even see that there is a gas station behind the wall of trucks.;)

Archived