Midtown Development

Mojo

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My brother goes to wayne state and once took a trip to the MOCAD. He said one his art teachers told him the lot will be developed soon. She said Wayne State is interested in putting up a parking structure with office or condos on top. So maybe this was a clue for their future developement of that site.

If you are talking about this rendering:

Midtown%20Drawing.jpg

Then its just filler. That rendering was the PREVIOUS developer and this is not the building that will be built. The concept for the building that WILL be built is the one thats seen on the Wayne State website and I think is on the previous page.

When is Woodward's reconstruction supposed to start. I hope it looks like the way it does in the renderings with curb bump-outs and red brick pedestrian crossings. Right now it doesn't feel urban. I think it would look great with a boulavard style island instead of the yellow turn lines. 2 lanes on each side is more than enough. :)

I just went by there a few hours ago. The ceremonial tent is still errected on the gravel lot. The gravel was exposed from the excavating of some of the black topped parking lot a week or two ago. There's some yellow taping on trees and fences, but no activity so far. I wouldn't be surprised that actual digging and site work didn't start until classes end at Wayne since University Tower Apartments will have fewer people living in them during the summer. I also wouldn't be surprised if they started tomorrow.

But, then again, I don't know what will be built first, the garage or the housing. Probably the garage.

I hope this project gives other wary developers the confidence they need in the market to begin similar projects along Woodward and its side and paralell streets in Midtown, to begin to 'close in' Woodward, again, like it used to be.

Archived