Midtown Development

Mojo

I agree on Crosswinds. Everyday I wish that a new developer would come and buy them and build something that belongs there. Whats even sadder is that they're building even more facing woodward, and putting what should really go there behind them (ie Garden lofts). The entire Brush Park district just seems to look like a big suburban subdivision, with some urbanism. The whole land and streets should have been cleared and completely redeveloped with something more than just plain 2 story condos and isolated mansions with parking lots and huge backyards sorrounding them. :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the trees fronting Woodward were sent to the tree chopper this morning. The sidewalk looks naked now. Also, some ground has been moved around too, so by the looks of it, it doesn't appear they're wasting any time! Which is good because I don't like being patient.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I go by it every day and take note of any slight movement. It's been very quiet. All the nice trees have been murdered and a trailer has been parked on the site, but that's about it. There's only a few weeks left until WSU lets out of school for the semester, so perhaps construction is being timed accordingly.

However, everyone would be pleased to know that the rehabilitation just north of the Crystal Lofts (the Albert Kahn) now is fully loaded with, fresh, beautiful windows. Pictures to come if someone doesn't get them before me.

I wish WSU would renovate the exterior of the theater next to the Albert Khan and somehow close the gap between the two buildings. Also, Crystal house now has window openings on the side of the building. Doesn't that mean another gap will exist if something does go next to the building in the future. City planners and council really need to look at the full scale of a development before they approve any deal. This is not good, in the long run.

The Detroit Then and Now book as an excellent photo of it before.

Detwaa, it had a large columned entrance with three large arched doorways. What they did was dismantle the pilasters and pediment, demolished the columns, stripped the arches off, and then re-assembled the pilasters and pediment. Basically they pushed most of the facade back. I'm not sure if the cheesy "wall" above the canopy was a later addition. (1950's??). The old picture only shows it in 1919, and the new one in 2000.

I wish WSU would renovate the exterior of the theater next to the Albert Khan and somehow close the gap between the two buildings. Also, Crystal house now has window openings on the side of the building. Doesn't that mean another gap will exist if something does go next to the building in the future. City planners and council really need to look at the full scale of a development before they approve any deal. This is not good, in the long run.

The Detroit Then and Now book as an excellent photo of it before.

Detwaa, it had a large columned entrance with three large arched doorways. What they did was dismantle the pilasters and pediment, demolished the columns, stripped the arches off, and then re-assembled the pilasters and pediment. Basically they pushed most of the facade back. I'm not sure if the cheesy "wall" above the canopy was a later addition. (1950's??). The old picture only shows it in 1919, and the new one in 2000.

It will start soon. It has to. UT residents will still park in the massive swath of surface parking surrounding the building. Believe me, there is plenty. Also, that laundromat on Cass at Prentis (across the street from UT) was torn down for parking.

Make this be a lesson learned...NEVER question parking in Detroit...we will always have you covered...and with 29 extra spaces to fill. ;)

Archived