Old Crow Distillery: Frankfort, KY

Conformity

With some partners, I recently purchased the Old Crow Distillery in Frankfort, KY. We have roughly 250 acres at the confluence of Glenn's Creek and the KY River.....along with a bunch of buildings built in from the early to late 1800's. We are seeking to save all the heart pine and brick from the distillery, but we do not have any good ideas for the land and do not know much about the area.

Are there developments along the river that folks commute to from either Lexington or Louisville.....you know: "What are you doing this weekend?" ..... "going up to the river house" .... that sort of a thing. I've started looking for developments along the river without much luck, but again just starting. Is the KY river an even attraction at residents of the Lexington and/or Louisville area? I did see an article on a big spill a while back...an oil spill.

Apparently we are in the "BlueGrass" area and obviously we are in bourbon country.

What are your thoughts please? I would appreciate hearing them.

From Charlotte, NC......thanks.....Conformity

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry I can't help with information, but I'm intrigued by your purchase. I'm thinking of buying some land in Monteagle TN, but there isn't anything on it. It may someday be attractive for development as weekend homes for Atlantans, Nashvillians, and Chattanoogans)

In your case... Is the distillery inactive? How old is the facility? Is it historic? I know the family who own the Jim Beam distillery, but that's a thriving enterprise.

I lived in Lexington for 7 years and I don't remember any vacation homes along the Kentucky River. However, I'm sure there are a few. Vacation homes in Kentucky are generally on the numerous man-made lakes around the state. The proximity to Louisville, Lexington and Frankfort would have to be attractive to people. Is the area scenic? There are some gorgeous areas along the river in the Frankfort area, but I'm not familiar with Glenn's Creek. That area is special to Kentuckians: horses, bourbon and the state capital.

I believe the oil spill you spoke of happened further downstream, closer to the Ohio River. The major pollution problem in the Kentucky River stems from strip mining in Eastern KY. They blast off the tops of the mountains to get to coal and all the excess sediment flows into creeks and streams which end up in the Kentucky River.

I lived in Lexington for 7 years and I don't remember any vacation homes along the Kentucky River. However, I'm sure there are a few. Vacation homes in Kentucky are generally on the numerous man-made lakes around the state. The proximity to Louisville, Lexington and Frankfort would have to be attractive to people. Is the area scenic? There are some gorgeous areas along the river in the Frankfort area, but I'm not familiar with Glenn's Creek. That area is special to Kentuckians: horses, bourbon and the state capital.

I believe the oil spill you spoke of happened further downstream, closer to the Ohio River. The major pollution problem in the Kentucky River stems from strip mining in Eastern KY. They blast off the tops of the mountains to get to coal and all the excess sediment flows into creeks and streams which end up in the Kentucky River.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, there aren't any vacation homes along the Kentucky River. It's not really wide enough for any sort of recreation. People can do that more readily at Taylorsville Lake, Green River Lake or Cumberland. Not to mention there are a number of locks, so it's even a hassle for kayakers and canoers. Therefore, the only kinds of homes I tend to see along the Kentucky River, are not anything desirable. The closest thing I can think of being significant is the Buffalo subdivision development, or whatever it is, which I think is on US68 as you cross into Mercer County. But it's not even 'on the river.'

I think the best bet for any sort of development in Central Kentucky is a whitewater rafting/kayaking center. Not on the scale of Charlotte's, but something that requires a minimal investment from the government. I believe they already do kayaking on Elkhorn creek, and something larger could be done, I would presume. So maybe you should get in touch with some legislators and draw up some plans... I know I'd be out there ready to tackle some rapids.

Archived