LaGrange

ATLman1

Since LaGrange is right up the road from Columbus I figured I would create a topic on this fast growing city. LaGrange is a city of 26,576. It is located in Troup County which has a population of 62,015. LaGrange has 292,139 people in the 7-county area (excluding Muscogee County). Kia is being built along I-85 which will bring thousands of high paying jobs to the LaGrange/Columbus/Auburn/Opelika triangle.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major development for LaGrange:

The development is called Magnolia. Magnolia will have its own downtown, retail, school, parks, retail, offices, and live-work units. It will consist of:

Over 400 total acres

1257 Single Familiy Homes

1015 Town Homes

532 Multi-Family Units

500,000 Square Ft. Retail/Commercial

115 acres of Parks & Open Space

Community Center

Lake harbor.

30,000 square foot pedestrian harbor downtown.

Playgrounds, neighborhood squares, tennis courts, nature trails, and bike paths.

Fishing pier

Olympic swimming pool

Lake-side amphitheater

Arts center

Soccer field

Go to Magnolia Development and then click on Ridley Lake Development Site. Scroll down until you see the link for Magnolia. The site has lots of information on this massive development.

LaGrange Readies New Industrial Park:

Parcels To Be Heavily Marketed to Kia Suppliers

LaGrange council members have approved plans to annex some 2800 acres of land into the city to build a new industrial park. The new industrial park will be built near LaGrange-Callaway Airport -- it's expected that the parcels inside will be heavily marketed to businesses that will supply parts to the new Kia plant just down the Interstate in West Point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LaGrange is one of my favorite Georgia towns. Traditionally a cotton mill town, like my hometown, Dalton, and of similar, though slightly smaller size. A trip into LaGrange will allow anyone to gain the perspective it was one of the more important cities in Georgia at the end of World War II. The downtown is fairly large for a city of its size, LaGrange College, West Georgia Medical Center and buildings such as the "Pink Palace on Dallas" that is a legacy of the Callaways, are among some of the most impressive features of this town. The Laniers, Bennetts, Callaways and Millikens made major contributions to the region.

I'm glad that LaGrange and Troup County are once again growing. The declines in the 50's and 60's caused LaGrange to lose its stature in Georgia and since the 1970's has had an impressive comeback, but the growth has been slow and steady. Kia will kick up the growth a few notches as will the ever encroaching Atlanta. LaGrange is close enough to Atlanta, Columbus, Auburn-Opelika and Montgomery to really tap into the potential along I-85 and I-185. It's large enough to stand on its own without losing its identity to the surrounding regions. There is still an economic imbalance in the area, with blacks mostly being left out of the economic resurgence that LaGrange has experienced since the 70's. LaGrange is in a Combined Statistical Area with Atlanta and neighboring Lanett, AL, so with Kia at West Point and Atlanta exurban escapees arriving, Chambers County, AL and Troup County will see see alot of the imbalance eliminated.

• 1 month later...

LaGrange's Population is Exploding:

Troup County's population on July 1, 2006 was an estimated 63,245, compared to 58,779 in 2000. The pace of growth is still modest - 7.6 percent compared to 5.8 percent - but surveyors of the housing and development markets predict major growth on the horizon.

Major New Developments:

Developers have already hit the early market, with big residential developments in the works in LaGrange like the 400-acre Northpointe, 23-acre Mill Creek Station, 300-acre Bryant Lake and 400-acre Magnolia developments along or near the Davis Road bypass. Those and other proposed developments are expected to double the number of houses in the city alone.

• 3 months later...

Since LaGrange is right up the road from Columbus I figured I would create a topic on this fast growing city. LaGrange is a city of 26,576. It is located in Troup County which has a population of 62,015. LaGrange has 292,139 people in the 7-county area (excluding Muscogee County). Kia is being built along I-85 which will bring thousands of high paying jobs to the LaGrange/Columbus/Auburn/Opelika triangle.

Exactly which counties are included in this 7-county region? I was guessing that Chambers County in Alabama is part of that region and I'm still confused about Randolph County being included in that region, since both Randolph & Chambers Counties both border Troup County.

Lafayette Parkway Growth:

Starbucks, Moe's Southwestern Grill and Longhorn Steakhouse have pegged Lafayette Parkway for development. At least two other large retailers are looking at the area, but are not yet ready to confirm plans. Lafayette Parkway also will be the new home of LaGrange Toyota. The facility across from the Troup County Recreation Center, which will be 35,000-square-feet larger than the current one on Hogansville Road. Also, a new Chevy Dealership is being constructed in the new Mill Creek Station development.

LaGrange is really growing a lot. I've recently seen the Mill Creek Station construction and the area where Starbucks, The Home Depot, Moe's, and the Verizon Wireless store are at.

Do you have any pictures of these developments?

Exactly which counties are included in this 7-county region? I was guessing that Chambers County in Alabama is part of that region and I'm still confused about Randolph County being included in that region, since both Randolph & Chambers Counties both border Troup County.

Welcome to the Columbus forum! That is a really good question! Even though this is more than 7, I consider the Columbus region to include

Georgia: Muscogee, Harris, Troup, Marion, Chattahoochee, Meriwether, Talbot, and to some extent Upson

Alabama: Russell, Lee, Chambers, and Macon

Randolph might be a little too north, but I am sure the Columbus region influences it some. Please keep on posting!

LaGrange is really growing a lot. I've recently seen the Mill Creek Station construction and the area where Starbucks, The Home Depot, Moe's, and the Verizon Wireless store are at.

Do you have any pictures of these developments?

I don't have any pictures, but I am sure this will be quality development. Do you know of anything else being built in that area?

Welcome to the Columbus forum! That is a really good question! Even though this is more than 7, I consider the Columbus region to include

Georgia: Muscogee, Harris, Troup, Marion, Chattahoochee, Meriwether, Talbot, and to some extent Upson

Alabama: Russell, Lee, Chambers, and Macon

Randolph might be a little too north, but I am sure the Columbus region influences it some. Please keep on posting!

I don't have any pictures, but I am sure this will be quality development. Do you know of anything else being built in that area?

All I know is that theres another place going up beside the CB&T, more outparcels between the new Charter Bank and The Home Depot.

I think that there may be more restaurants, a few more hotels, or stores like Target or Best Buy that could be coming in between I-85 and the North Davis Road intersection

How are folks in Lagrange/Troup receiving the government's moritorium on new development? Do folks think it will really be temporary to allow the county to get its zoning act together, or will it become policy, like it did in Harris County?

LaGrange/Troup County is welcoming the new growth. They want planned growth. LaGrange has taken off here in the last 5 years. Troup is much more welcoming of new developments than Harris County. However, HC is changing, especially with the approval of The Grove. I think once they see the economic benefits of development that Muscogee and Troup County are seeing, Harris County will embrace growth.

• 3 weeks later...

What would you like to see built (and/or annexed) in the LaGrange-Troup County areas? (retail, road improvements, etc.)

Here's my list:

1. add Best Buy, Target (LaGrange wouldn't probably support a SuperTarget),Nordstrom (or Parisian), Ross,etc.

2. add 1 more middle school in LaGrange area

3. building more hotels in and around LaGrange (Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, Sleep Inn, Homewood Suites by Hilton, etc.)

4. Davis Road loop

5. building more Starbucks locations

I'll add more to the list later

• 4 weeks later...

Two Automotive Suppliers to Create Jobs in LaGrange

Pretty Products, DaeLim USA to create a total of more than 200 jobs

ATLANTA- Governor Sonny Perdue announced today two automotive suppliers will create a total of more than 200 jobs in LaGrange in preparation for the Kia Motors plant that is being constructed in nearby West Point.

• 4 weeks later...

LaGrange hospital starts expansion

West Georgia Health System in LaGrange broke ground Thursday on its South Tower facility in a project expected to cost $65 million.

The 130,000-square-foot facility on the south side of the hospital campus is designed for vertical expansion and will accommodate up to 192 beds in the future. It will feature a 24-bed Intensive Care Unit, cardiovascular center, labor/delivery and mother-baby center, and Emergency Department.

The groundbreaking marks the first phase of construction of the four-story hospital, the company announced. This project should be completed in 2009.

All patient rooms will be private and include wireless computer access and a place for family to stay. The main lobby will include an enhanced reception area, gift shop and coffee shop and will open into an outdoor garden park.

The facility will be built by McCarthy, one of the nation's oldest privately held construction companies and leading hospital builders that was founded in 1864. The company is 100 percent employee owned and has offices in Atlanta and eight other U.S. cities.

Ellerbe Becket's Washington, D.C., Healthcare Design Studio is leading the design process, using a number of local Georgia consultants. The company was founded in 1909.

KLMK Group LLC is providing independent, professional advice in the planning and development.

"The South Tower expansion represents a significant milestone for West Georgia Health System," said President/CEO Jerry Fulks. "The new facility will enable the health system to offer Troup County residents the latest, most advanced care close to home and for many years to come. We are grateful to employees and community members who have supported our hospital project and our efforts to transform health care for west-central Georgia."

• 2 weeks later...

LaGrange/Troup County is welcoming the new growth.

When I was in LaGrange last month visiting the parents, a recent arrival who has opened a restaurant on Main Street told me the following joke:

Q: How many LaGrange natives does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Change!!! We like our old light bulb just fine!

This pretty accurately reflects the attitude of most of the natives (people I grew up with) to new growth and impending changes. More recent arrivals (I've been away for 30 years) might be more welcoming.

• 3 weeks later...

Water-bottling plant to open in LaGrange

A bottling plant for spring water and other noncarbonated beverages is scheduled to start production in February in the LaGrange Industrial Park.

Garden of Nectars purchased a little more than 8 acres at 2 Yasafuku Place for $144,000 from the LaGrange Development Authority to build a 30,000-square-foot plant.

Groundbreaking ceremonies are scheduled for 3 p.m. Nov. 8.

• 3 weeks later...

LaGrange lands Kia supplier

Sejong Georgia to build $28M facility, hire 250

Georgia landed another Kia supplier on Tuesday.

Sejong Georgia LLC will invest $27.8 million in a LaGrange facility and employ 250.

The tier-one supplier will manufacture muffler and exhaust systems for the Kia Motors plant that is under construction in West Point. The Wulsan, Korea-based parent company, Sejong Industrial Co., is one of the world's top five automotive suppliers.

"With a great supplier like Sejong on board, Georgia is continuing to build on the success of landing Kia," Gov. Sonny Perdue said in a statement.

Sejong secured a 23-acre site in the LaGrange Industrial Park on Lukken Industrial Drive West. The city has purchased the former Federal Mogul facility on the site and will lease the space to Sejong. Renovations on the 108,000-square-foot building, funded in part by state grants, will begin in July 2008, and the plant will begin production in October 2009. The Kia plant is scheduled to open in 2009.

Diethard Lindner, chairman of the Development Authority of LaGrange, said the city is offering the company a seven-year tax phase-in plan and reduced rent on the building for the first five years, with the option to buy after that.

"Having visited Sejong's facilities in Korea and Alabama, I am certain that they will be an excellent community partner," Lindner said.

City officials and Sejong Georgia President H.S. Kim signed the agreement regarding the site Tuesday.

"We look forward to growing our business in west Georgia," Kim said.

Sejong will be eligible for a number of state incentives as well, including $3,000 per job in tax credits, QuickStart training and sales tax exemption on equipment.

This will be Sejong's second U.S. plant. The company operates a plant in Fort Deposit, Ala., to supply the Hyundai Motors plant in Montgomery.

No figures for salary were available. But when the Alabama plant opened in 2004, production workers were paid $10.50 an hour and maintenance workers made $14 an hour, according to the Birmingham News.

Dongwon Autopart Technology of Korea, another supplier which announced plans to build a plant in Meriwether County, will pay workers $12 to $15 an hour.

LaGrange and Troup County officials have been working to bring suppliers to the area since a delegation first traveled to Korea in September 2006.

"It's been a wonderful experience, and it's a been a lot of hard work," Lindner said. "We are pleased with the outcome so far. Several major suppliers have ended up in Troup County."

The negotiations with Sejong began in August, and the finalized agreement was approved by the development authority on Monday.

Lindner said Sejong did shop other counties and that Alabama has been aggressive in recruiting suppliers.

Suppliers have announced the creation of more than 1,200 jobs in Georgia to date, and more announcements are expected.

Dongwon announced last month it will employ 300 at its metal-stamping plant, and Hyundai Mobis will add 600 jobs when it opens a plant in West Point. Pretty Products, DaeLim USA and Sumika Polymer Compounds America Inc. also are building plants in the area.

Kia Motors America executives told dealers at a convention earlier this month that the West Point factory will manufacture the redesigned Sorento sport utility vehicle for the 2010 model year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kia supplier to build LaGrange plant, create 700 jobs

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Korean company that supplies parts to Kia Motors will create 700 jobs and invest $170 million in a new plant in LaGrange, Gov. Sonny Perdue announced Wednesday.

Sewon Precision will produce stamped components and decorative trim for Kia, which is building a $1.2 billion factory in West Point, about 80 miles southwest of Atlanta. The Sewon jobs will be created over a three-year period.

"Landing a top-tier supplier such as Sewon Precision indicates that communities across west Georgia are continuing to benefit from Kia's decision to locate in our state," Perdue said in a news release.

"Suppliers have announced upwards of 2,000 jobs on top of the 2,800 that Kia will bring."

Sewon selected a 65-acre site at the Callaway South Industrial Park in Troup County to build a 420,000-square-foot building. Construction is expected to begin in the spring. Sewon and Kia say they will begin operations in the fall of 2009.

Sewon has supplied Kia with parts for 20 years; this will be its first U.S. plant.

Kia says during peak production it will produce 300,000 vehicles annually in West Point.

Archived