Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATLBrain

Franklin DT Condo/Retail Project

11 posts in this topic

I happen to think Franklin has one of the best downtowns in the South. I visited there summer before last and was quite impressed by the quality of the new buildings going in next to the old historic buildings. It's actually an urban core. Well this is just one of the latest project going in there. Rendering looks nice.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...6/1168/COUNTY09

Of course for every one of these projects, there are so many other suburban developments that are contributing to Williamson sprawl as Franklin marches toward becoming the 7th city in TN with more than 100,000 residents. At least it gives people an option to live in the core.

It would make things interesting if the RTA decides to take the next rail line to Franklin.

Hey, these do sound pretty cool and are definitely a positive for Franklin. I'm a big fan of Franklin myself and would love to see them maximize the available space downtown. I remember hearing that at some point, the powers that be in city government really discouraged new development in the downtown because they didn't want it to change and lose any of its current flavor levels (sound familiar? "Cough, lower broadway, cough, cough") Hopefully, all that's changing with the construction of the brownstones which are coming along swimmingly. The developer of that project was in negotions for a more moderately priced development in the downtown area as well, but I'm not sure what's up with that now.

Keep in mind though, that with the exception of the one on Battlewood (I wonder if they mean Battle Ave. or Battlefield Dr.? The only BattleWood I can think of is in Grassland, which is very definetely not in the core. Cheriokid, do you know where this is?), none of these are in downtown so they still ostensibly fit in with sprawl patterns. They just happen to be nice developments that make use of space more efficiently than single family homes. And I can't see many of these folks making use of the trolly to shuttle downtown for a latte or whatever. But hey, you never know.

Jamison Station is going to be right beside the Factory (the old Jamison bedding factory which is now a sort of mall). General's Retreat is going to be just past the library on Columbia Avenue and is basically urban renewal (via teardown, not renovation) of some run down apartments. Grant's Park is suburban sprawl.

Nashvillain, I don't know where you got the impression that Franklin's leaders were against change downtown, but that is absolutely untrue (at least in the past 3-4 years). There have been countless studies and initiatives to redevelop different areas of the DT area (one of the most current ones is to create an actual redevelopment district in the area that surrounds the old durango boot factory). Look for some exciting projects to be announced in the coming year as the bicentennial park gets redeveloped and the massive streetscape program gets underway.

Oh, and ATLBrain, if (and hopefully when) RTA brings rail transit to Franklin, I hope that they utilise our old freight rail depot. Right now it's an antiques store, but it could be a great train station! If you haven't been to it, you should check it out (as a side note our old passenger rail station was torn down).

Very nice! I like them! That parking lot in the middle is bigger than I would personally like, but the important thing is that the buildings front the street and the PARKING is setback, instead of the other way around. It's good to see Franklin investing in their downtown, because like you said, it really is very nice.

This is a very nice looking project, and I hope we see more projects like this one in Franklin's future. Franklin does have a wonderful urban downtown area, and I hope to see it growing and expanding.

That article didn't even mention Gateway Village (www.gatewayvillagetn.com ) which is also upscale-semi-urban-mixed-use development on the Northern boundry of Franklin. I read a while back that the developer of The Brownstones was building a development by Bicentennial park with lower prices and a somewhat more modern look. For a suburb, the DT of Franklin is very urban, there is quite a bit of residential, lots of commercial near Main, and office space in homes near Main and above Main. I live in Franklin, and I love it dearly, and I'm very proud of my little town.

That article didn't even mention Gateway Village (www.gatewayvillagetn.com ) which is also upscale-semi-urban-mixed-use development on the Northern boundry of Franklin. I read a while back that the developer of The Brownstones was building a development by Bicentennial park with lower prices and a somewhat more modern look. For a suburb, the DT of Franklin is very urban, there is quite a bit of residential, lots of commercial near Main, and office space in homes near Main and above Main. I live in Franklin, and I love it dearly, and I'm very proud of my little town.

Do you have any info or a link on the Brownstones?

I really like that Jamison Station project, but I'm dissapointed, because I know that they were trying to get approval for 4 stories, but the limit for residential in Franklin is 3 stories. I guess the council wouldn't give in. Oh well, it's still a great project in a great location. Also, the Brownstones development is coming along wonderfully. Many units have brick on them, and the ones on the inside are being built. It's much denser than I was expecting, and quite nice. I look forward to see what happens across 1st Avenue, next to the silo. I hope something goes in there. And if anyone still doesn't know where General's Retreat is, if you go south out of downtown on Columbia Avenue, it's on your left a little after the library, about a minute's drive or less from downtown. It's where the Bramblewood Apartments used to be.

It's an exciting time for downtown Franklin. I know there have been studies done, and they really favor focusing on redevoloping the downtown area and its corridors. I sure hope we see more projects come up in the area.

One more thing. There was an article in the newspaper a while ago about the small boutique hotel coming to downtown. They claim they have some hotels lined up, and plan on it have about 60 to 80 rooms. That would definately be a major boost to downtown's economy.

I just took a a lady tot he airport that lives in CA. She and her husband looked at Franklin for retirement about five years ago and didn't find what they wanted. I told her to take a second look at the area as many things have changed. This is an exciting time for Nashville and Franklin plus all the surrounding area. We will have many people coming to the area to retire in the near future. This project sounds just like what they were looking for. GO FRANKLIN.