Superprojects

Aporkalypse

There was an interesting article in the ADG today that said that Arkansas has the lowest recurring industrial costs among 12 southeastern states, according to a report from prominent site-selection firm Fluor.

However, it also has the 2nd least in funds available for incentives for developing such a facility, $67 million.

Considering the Marion site is being brought up repeatedly, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Down the road, I'd like to see LR/PB or Ft Smith considered.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the Marion site will get something significant soon. Marion is about to explode with growth in the coming years as Downtown Memphis is being revitalized. Also, I believe that Southland Park is opening up today with slot machines, does anyone know if this is correct?

is there no way that the flood plain could be raised to allow for development and have canals or something to deal with when and if the river rises to handle the excess water?

I would live in Arkansas if it was a little closer to downtown and the view would be incredible.

I'm not sure what you mean that growth can't be done in Marion/W Memphis. They have canals and levees. Heck, we all know much of New Orleans is near or below sea level (and thus the Mississippi River), but they built (and re-built) there. Whether that is wise or not, or whether living there is wise or not, is subject to debate I think.

I'm not sure what you mean that growth can't be done in Marion/W Memphis. They have canals and levees. Heck, we all know much of New Orleans is near or below sea level (and thus the Mississippi River), but they built (and re-built) there. Whether that is wise or not, or whether living there is wise or not, is subject to debate I think.

The Mississippi River in New Orleans is not below sea level. If memory serves me correct, it's actually 12-13 feet above sea level at that point. It wasn't the Mississippi that flooded N.O., it was Lake Pontchartrain. In south Louisiana, the threat of flooding from the Mississippi is non-existent due to the extensive network of spillways and levees like the Bonnet Carre, the Morganza, and the Atchafalaya.

The floodplain in W. Memphis is definitely developable. I personally don't think it should be developed into anything other than public-use lands - something akin to a Shelby Farms.

The Mississippi River in New Orleans is not below sea level. If memory serves me correct, it's actually 12-13 feet above sea level at that point. It wasn't the Mississippi that flooded N.O., it was Lake Pontchartrain. In south Louisiana, the threat of flooding from the Mississippi is non-existent due to the extensive network of spillways and levees like the Bonnet Carre, the Morganza, and the Atchafalaya.

The floodplain in W. Memphis is definitely developable. I personally don't think it should be developed into anything other than public-use lands - something akin to a Shelby Farms.

Close, but not quite. The Mississippi River poses no flood danger to New Orleans. The flood risk comes from Lake Pontchartrain and the swamps to the east. Flood control on the Mississippi happens up to a hundred miles up river, north of Baton Rouge. This is common knowledge.

The city of New Orleans is on average below sea level. The Mississippi River, however, is not.

And I would definitely check my statistics on the "15 feet and sinking thing". Ways of calculating this can easily be manipulated to achieve whatever result is desired. Politics.

is there no way that the flood plain could be raised to allow for development and have canals or something to deal with when and if the river rises to handle the excess water?

I would live in Arkansas if it was a little closer to downtown and the view would be incredible.

Archived