Thinking about moving to downtown Detroit

ScheuerJD

So I might be getting a summer job that would be focused mainly in downtown so my cousin and I were thinking about getting an apartment in downtown to cut down on travel time plus we like city life in general

When I told my friends here at college, all of whom lived their entire life in Troy and Bloomfield Hills, they said that I was F*cking crazy and that I would be dead within days. Of course I know they are full of it but I would like to know what the crime situation is really like down there.

Just to give background info, I am originally from the West Side of Saginaw, where I lived lived off Congress and ever since my parents moved out to Freeland I have hated it.

Any info you guys can give me would be great.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I might be getting a summer job that would be focused mainly in downtown so my cousin and I were thinking about getting an apartment in downtown to cut down on travel time plus we like city life in general

When I told my friends here at college, all of whom lived their entire life in Troy and Bloomfield Hills, they said that I was F*cking crazy and that I would be dead within days. Of course I know they are full of it but I would like to know what the crime situation is really like down there.

Just to give background info, I am originally from the West Side of Saginaw, where I lived lived off Congress and ever since my parents moved out to Freeland I have hated it.

Any info you guys can give me would be great.

I live about 2 miles away from the Central business district on Woodward ave, and city living is good living indeed. When it comes to your question about crime for the most part I think, if you don't go looking for trouble you're not going to find it. I've lived in the city for the vast majority of my life, and I've never had any real issues with crime (I'm 26). I find that when new people move to Detroit, after about a month or 2 they wonder why they were ever worried about certain things. It's just like any other city.

Great place to start looking for an apartment http://detroitmidtown.com/05/midtown.php

greater Midtown area is the most developed place as far as housing goes..it includes some greater downtown housing like Lower Woodward, Corktown, Rivertown, New Center, etc...

What's your price range/location of work? Lofts of Merchant's Row or Kales building might appeal to you as far as downtown rentals go...However, if you are staying the summer only you might have some problem finding a 3 month lease, except for maybe a Wayne State Apartment aimed at summer semester students

I don't think WSU will lease out to non-students. They are expensive too and you have to go through a bunch of crap with WSU housing to get approved, yadda yadda.

I live in Midtown as well and really wouldn't want to live anywhere else in this region...other than downtown. Downtown is safe. There's no if ands or buts about it. There's they typical crime you find in any major city...I mean, Detroit is the 10th largest region in the country, so it should come as no surprise as to what an urban lifestyle will contain.

The one crime that stands out in Detroit is theft. If you leave it unattended, it stands the risk of being taken by someone, even downtown or Midtown. That's my own honest assessment that I'm willing to give mostly because it's the most annoying problem that I've encountered personally.

Other than the little petty things though, greater downtown offers a lifestyle that you can't get anywhere else in the region, so it's easy to adapt and embrace as your own, or to personalize it.

Also, check out citylivingdetroit.com. I'm not sure what you're going to be able to find for month-by-month rent, but this site may have some locations for that.

Good luck!

Archived