Schuler plans to build 1,150 homes in Kapolei

Schuler plans to build 1,150 homes in Kapolei

Schuler Homes plans to build 1,150 homes in the heart of Kapolei, a project that would help solidify the area's designation as O'ahu's Second City but also raises concerns over the impact on traffic.

The Hawai'i homebuilder recently signed a contract with area landowner Campbell Estate to acquire 120 acres on the edge of Kapolei's civic center, where it plans to build the homes during the next 11 to 16 years.

The community, called Mehana, is designed to have six parks, running and cycling paths, a recreation center, pool, commercial complex and a roughly 50-50 mix of single-family and multi-family homes ranging in price from the low $200,000s to the mid $400,000s.

About 400 of the homes will be priced between the low $200,000s and low $300,000s, a range Schuler said is affordable based on the current market, in which half of all previously-owned homes sold on O'ahu last month cost more than $410,000.

Schuler and Campbell Estate plan to contribute a 12-acre adjacent site for a new elementary school. The home developer also said it expects to contribute an estimated $1.6 million to the state for school construction, spend $5 million for off-site road improvements related to Mehana and $6.5 million for road construction and improvements in the 'Ewa area.

The Makakilo/Kapolei/Honokai Hale neighborhood board voted 6-1 in support of the project at a meeting last week. But the developer must obtain a zoning change from the city to move ahead.

Mike Jones, Hawai'i division president for Schuler, said the company expects to submit its zoning change application in mid- to late April, and if approved, begin sales and construction in 2007.

"We are very excited about this opportunity to bring a top-quality, planned community to the area," he said. "Mehana helps meet the housing demand fueled by the growing number of jobs in Kapolei. It also helps fulfill the vision for O'ahu's 'second city,' and provides needed housing for local families who want to work

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. It should boost the population. I have a queston though. Why doesnt the us Census Bureau recognize the city of Honolulu and the county of Honolulu as one city?

I didn't think that Hawaii was divided into counties, although I could be wrong, seeing as how I've never been there & don't really know much about it.

Allan, exactly and that area already looks the same, it makes me want to puke its so suburban looking and thats not the only area with huge plans for development another area up from it will be seeing thousands (yes thousands!) of homes being developed in the next decaded. :angry:

BTW, the state is divided into counties:

Honolulu County (Oahu and the northwest islands past Niihau and Kauai)

Kauai County (Kauai & Niihau)

Maui County (Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe)

Hawaii County (Island of Hawaii - Big Island)

Kalawao County (small section of Molokai once known for a leper colony)

M. Brown, the past few years have seen a fairly huge increase in the population we are growing at a faster rate than in the 90s infact our metro has grown during the past few years as it did the whole decade of 1990-2000. The new numbers will be released this April and i can guarantee that the metro is over 900,000 probably 906,000 - 910,000 as of July 2003 the pop was at 876,156 in 2000 and 836,000 + in 1990. I really think if it continues to pick up the pace we have a good chance at reaching the million mark by 2010. There are so many people from the US Mainland that are moving here these days its almost ridiculous not to mention foreigners and freely associated states that normally arent included as foreign born like: Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, etc

One of the reasons i think that the whole county isn't recognized by the census as a whole city much like San Francisco county & Philadelphia County are also recognized as their city pop's is supposedly because there are no incorporated cities or some sh*t like that so they created what is known as a CDP (Census Designated Place) which is used as the city pop. however i think the city just had some community meetings to extend it and call it the Urban Honolulu blah blah from like Kahala to Pearl City i dont think Pearl City and vicinity is already included in Honolulu's CDP pop but if it gets added it will push the city pop up by like 40,000 to maybe 60,000 or so. Anyhow i wish they would just make the urbanized area which is over 720,000 + people as the designated city area and the remaining would be known as the burbs. It would also give the city more recognition as a major city which i think it trully is its definately a unique city beyond what its known for to outsiders and has become quite important in the pacific rim especially with the many Pacific Island nations and as a meeting ground for East meets West stuff.

Archived