Has the GOP become the party of Southern White Evangelicals?

monsoon

Has the GOP become the party of Southern White Evangelicals?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Has the GOP become the party of Southern White Evangelicals?

• No
    • Yes

The Christian right will probably go into hiding for a while, and slowly creep back up into the spotlight. Its last big peak was the 1950s, and before that the late 1910s, and early 20s. As of right now there aren't enough Clarence Darrows to ward off the many William Jennings Bryans of this world, but the Fundamentalist right is once again crashing under its own ineptitude. (Like Bryan failing to defending himself

I have a feeling we wont see a true GOP majority again for at least another generation or more. With the younger voters getting increasingly involved in politics, causing the electorate to become increasingly more progressive, the tables are right for a progressive majority for decades.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hear hear!!!

To me though, it seems that religion is more of a mask that people wear. Most religious people, conservative and liberal, simply pick out the things they like from Christianity (or whatever) and apply it to their beliefs. A bigot is a bigot regardless---only a Christian bigot has some obscure Bible verses taken out of context to bolster his claim. In other words, religion aside, say we're all atheists or whatever, I think conservatives would have exactly the same views they do now.

^ Very true. I do, however, believe that peope will do what they want to do and think what they want to think. They will pick and choose the parts of their religion they want to follow----a cafeteria approach I guess. There are many pure of heart people who are doing what they believe is right according to their religion. But I think the majority just follow what's been passed down, ignoring what seems inconvenient, and embracing that which is embraceable.

Archived