Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tamias6

Student Leaders Ban Pledge

8 posts in this topic

Students leaders at a California Collage have ban the Pledge of Allegience from their meetings.

Article

Was it right or wrong to ban it? Most of all, is the pledge still relevant in today's America?

Going through Grade School reciting the pledge of allegiance everyday was norm. When I hit high school it was loosely applied, it was an event that was on special occasions. So when ever we had pep rallies it commenced with our hands over our hearts and pledge to allegiance to the republic -- for which it stands. To me, "for which it stands" can apply for which our country currently stands -- you hold alliance for her current state.

I quickly realized it was a popularity contest to see who can salute America more than the next guy -- who can be more American.

http://www.poofcat.com/july.html

Great little recitation on the pledge of allegiance.

Similarly to Rizzo, I grew up saying the pledge on a daily basis. Once we got to middle school, it stopped on a daily basis and then only on special occasions (pep rallies, sometimes at sport events, etc)

For some reason I clicked on this thread expecting students to have put a stop to harmful aerosol dusting products. And given most student housing I've ever been witness to, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

"Was it right or wrong to ban it?"

Why only two choices? How about:

3. immaterial

and

4. who cares

It is wrong to ban it. If they have issues with it, they should make it optional. But to ban it takes away the rights of the other students.

As these things continue to happen (pledge being outlawed, no "God" on money, no prayers in school etc.) don't be surprised one day to wake up and we are no longer a free country. If people no longer care about the values that this country was founded on our freedom will be the next to go.

Partial Quote from the Article:

. . . . While religious overtones were one element of the trustees' motivation, other concerns existed. "Nationalism is something that divides people," said Ball, wearing black boots, a beret and a hammer-and-sickle pin. . . . . . . . . .

As these things continue to happen (pledge being outlawed, no "God" on money, no prayers in school etc.) don't be surprised one day to wake up and we are no longer a free country. If people no longer care about the values that this country was founded on our freedom will be the next to go.

Partial Quote from the Article:

. . . . While religious overtones were one element of the trustees' motivation, other concerns existed. "Nationalism is something that divides people," said Ball, wearing black boots, a beret and a hammer-and-sickle pin. . . . . . . . . .