Wait, it's still more than a MONTH til' XMAS

suburban george3

I can not believe driving around town this evening the number of houses already decorated for the Holidays! I counted at least 20!! C'mon, it's not even Thanksgiving! The local light shows are already lit up, the mall is decorated, ARGH!!

Do we really nead a 3 month build up to the Holidays!!! I am really getting turned off by all this!

Thoughts??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha! Honestly, I live for Christmas.... I love to decorate, and usually do it the day after Thanksgiving. Seeing the malls all lit up this early doesn't bother me much. I really think it gets people into the holiday swing of things. I just cant wait till the radio stations start airing Christmas music :D

I love Christmas.. everything about it. I even like going to church on Christmas. I love that for one day, everything is closed and everyone just hunkers down and celebrates a wonderful holiday.

For me, November 1st is the absolute earliest that the season should start. The day after Thanksgiving is a better day.. but hints before hand don't hurt.

I started playing my Christmas music and listening to Christmas stations at work since Halloween. Time goes too fast for us to enjoy Christmas. And what bugs me is we don't celebrate the other 11 days of the season. We do Christmas during advent but as soon as the first day comes, it's all over. When we were decorating, I'd take the stuff down Jan 6.

My Christmas decorations never came down........ :)

Actually, for years we had two light rock stations or AC stations, whatever they call them. They would both switch to Christmas music the day after Halloween. One of them flipped over the summer and became a Top 40 deal, and the other one hasn't played Christmas music so far (104.3 I think, you can pick the station up everywhere) and people are mad. They're writing into the paper about it. They want their Barry Manilow and Hillary Duff Christmas!!!!

I started playing my Christmas music and listening to Christmas stations at work since Halloween. Time goes too fast for us to enjoy Christmas. And what bugs me is we don't celebrate the other 11 days of the season. We do Christmas during advent but as soon as the first day comes, it's all over. When we were decorating, I'd take the stuff down Jan 6.

I put up my lights on Wednesday last week because it was a balmy 62 degrees. Of course, all the neighbors stopped by to give me a hard time about it, but I'll be laughing when they're freezing their tails off putting up lights after Thanksgiving. It's not like I plan to turn them ON yet. :lol:

It's really only 6 weeks until Christmas, not 3 months. But decorations in the stores before Halloween is over the line. Pretty soon they'll just leave Christmas decorations up all year. :sick:

I almost thought it was illegal to still call it Christmas nowadays...

Whatever the stupid PC-name for it, I love this time of the year! Now if only we lived closer to the mountains so we could go skiing like we used to...long live Christmas! YAAAAAAY!!!

Now, what I find weird is that all the Christmas stuff seems to be going up BEFORE Thanksgiving these days :blink: how about we get Thanksgiving behind us before going on an X-mas blitz?!

I have a movie for you: Over the Hedge. HIlarious.. but it doesn't say much of anything good about HOAs.

We do our Christmas decorations exclusively the weekend after Thanksgiving. That's also when the Christmas cards go out. And our Christmas tree stays up until Jan. 6th.

Our family usually gets together on Christmas Eve for prime rib, yorkshire pudding, sides, and of course.. home-made bread pudding for dessert.. it's what happens when your ancestory is English/Irish/Scottish...

then Christmas day we go to Grandma's and she makes ham and Swedish Meatballs (amazing) and those really yummy hashbrown/cheese/sourcream bake... and of course we have sherbet punch and coffee and usually pie for dessert. My grandma is about as Minnesotan as it gets.

Then we all sit in utter silence around the table and eat and nobody talks. Afterwards, the guys go out and open the hood of the car and talk cars for hours on end while the women gossip and knit.. (I'm JOKING!!!!!!!!!).

A side note:

You know... I've worked in retail, and I always call it Christmas. And if people aren't Christian and don't celebrate it.. well, I with them an extra merry Christmas.. it's still December 25th whether you like it or not.. and it's my duty as a Christian to make sure that everybody has the merriest damned Christmas possible.. even if you are a hacidic Jew with a chip on your shoulder. :)

Seasons greetings just sounds so bland, and happy holidays is kind of redundent, considering that holiday comes from Holy day...

A side note:

You know... I've worked in retail, and I always call it Christmas. And if people aren't Christian and don't celebrate it.. well, I with them an extra merry Christmas.. it's still December 25th whether you like it or not.. and it's my duty as a Christian to make sure that everybody has the merriest damned Christmas possible.. even if you are a hacidic Jew with a chip on your shoulder. :)

Seasons greetings just sounds so bland, and happy holidays is kind of redundent, considering that holiday comes from Holy day...

Archived