Southeast Raleigh

Developer Gordon Smith wants to buy the empty city-owned lots (total of about 0.35 acres) at the Northeast corner of Cabarrus and Bloodworth. 

From the N&O... His goal for the site: an “entrepreneurs’ village” where fledgling business owners could live and work around a small park with pingpong, shuffleboard and other “things that entrepreneurs like,” Smith said.

There was also a blurb that he wants to partner with a business incubator like HQ Raleigh on the project.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A healthy city needs to radiate in all directions from its core. Raleigh's pretty imbalanced with nearly all the progress happening in a northwesterly direction from downtown. It's a shame because the seamless integration of the eastern neighborhoods with downtown would make for a great urban environment if they were built up more.

East downtown is doing its part by providing affordable fixer upper houses in an urban layout. I know dozens of 30 somethings with families that bought 1500 sqft for under 200k love it. No other downtown neighborhood provides that (not counting Mordecai as "downtown"). A healthy City can and should provide for a wide range of working incomes in its downtown. To me the big lack of radiation is in the southward direction where things were all ripped out for the Dawson/McDowell connector (what most people think is south Saunders between South St and Caraleigh). I would go so far as to rip out that road and relay the grid at least to Rocky Branch 

• 10 months later...

Their's looks pretty good. Glad they are proposing to save the buildings in their entirety....the roofs of two are caving in (looking on google maps). I sincerely hope that retail options work here, but the community will need to be very very supportive because I think this is too far for the downtown visitor to wander over to during a casual visit downtown. 

These uses seem very destination-retail-oriented, so hopefully they will be supported by a larger base.  Although I do see your point if they were hoping for lunchtime foot traffic.  I could see really only Red Hat employees making the trek.  Otherwise, most of Fayetteville St and Citrix might need to hop on a bikeshare bike to grab a bite at the grocery cafe.

So I am wondering (and I understand this is talk at this point), would inclusion of Trophy, Videri, Boulted Bread and Jubala all mean those places move from their current locations? I guess it would be:

Jubala : second location or possibly second location with roasting too

Videri : move the roasting/making operation and expand the retail at Depot

Trophy: Move only the brewing and possibly make this a second location

Boulted Bread: Second location? Hard to say...

Anyway, I hate to cannibalize other parts of town and take a chance using successful businesses on what I think is a chancy location and then see them all fail. Alternately this could be a hipster mecca with a critical density of super successful local operations...a critical density that our downtown and its lack of clustered, affordable, retail space (due to so much having been demolished...it sued to be there) has a hard time offering. 

• 3 months later...

The Ten are all Tyveked in and have some brickwork done. 

Also, has anyone noticed that Killo Pest Control lot is for sale? Along with Salvation Army's former site, you could get a nice mid size something in there on an important transitional corner. 

Good grief, Shaw is having enough problems just keeping the doors open.  This arena is a complete pipedream.  But what about doubling it in size and putting it downtown somewhere as the replacement for PNC when that facility ages out?  We can dream, can't we?

Whoa, at one point, Shaw had plans for an arena on MLK Jr Blvd between Blount and Person!  (from Williard Ferm Architects)

pic6.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

• 8 months later...

Kinda weird they went with three modernist homes and then a contemporary. I've walked down Lenoir and seen these but ventured down Wynne to see them up close. I can see the modernist ones being that price per sqft but a contemporary? I don't think a tankless water heater and cable rails will command that sort of price but I could be wrong.  I'm kind of disturbed and interested all at once. I just bought on Pettigrew at about 188 a sqft thinking there'd not be any meat on the bone for a good decade. but if things next to Chavis actually sell for 230+ per soft I might be wrong. I have mixed feelings about being part of a gentrifying area....the price jump from super cheap, to the highest in the area, is bypassing affordable+livable (middle class call it)...just like most of central and western downtown did already. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hargett Place's site is being cleared as of Tuesday (July 5th). That'll be 19 townhouses immediately north of Lincoln Apartments that will make that block completely built out. My understanding is that the City owned all this land and sold it to the Lincoln developer. As an aside, this removes from play the land the City had been using to move threatened historic properties out of harms way for a good 20 years or so now. Perhaps with Monarch Properties now in the house moving business, any other large threatened houses will end up on one of their lots on the east side...the entire area between Glenwood and St Mary's is under pressure to lose such houses, with three being torn down in the last six months (all along St Mary's)

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about moving into the Thomson Hunter neighborhood and I started "scouting" the area during the last few weeks. I've seen a good amount of development on the 800 block of E. Davie: few new constructions close to the park and a finished (already under contract) on the corner with Camden.

I was wondering if any of you has updates on the safety of the area: in particular the 700 block of Martin. Is that as bad as it used to be or the situation is better today?

This is probably best discussed offline for good honest details. In general terms, yes, it's much much better than it ever has been. Certainly there is still more petty crime than a gated neighborhood. I live just off the 1100 block of east Hargett. I've never had an issue of any kind. Most crime lately seems to have been bored teenagers out of school for the summer. It's an urban neighborhood so you just have to be cool with being smart. But there is not a constant threat of being mugged or shot at. Bikes get stolen if left out. I think three cars have been stolen this year (which is high). One guy got beat up at 3am on Davie walking home from bars. My block has become pretty tight knit and all of us, white, black, young and old, keep an eye out for one another. We share garden vegetables. Help with each other's yards. Give furniture to new college kids etc etc. I would say I love it out there. Don't show up in a Beamer and not expect to be noticed. There are people who struggle out here and many are just trying to survive. Recognize that, and know what you walking into and I think any person can be quite happy in this area. 

• 2 months later...

Looks like prelim roadwork for south gateway is being pushed to planning commission from the city council.  https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NCRALEIGH/bulletins/17328e6 (link should send to Southern Gateway report and Comprehensive Plan amendments)

Interesting observation... looks like the road reconfiguration cuts apart the Cargill site.  (I overlaid the street plan on google maps for reference) ... Also are two screengrabs from the report of the built-out districts.

southgatewaynewroads.JPG

old saunders warehouse district.JPG

cargill redvelopment.JPG

Archived