Southeast Raleigh

Some new images for the Transfer Olde East warehouse renovation + new grocer building + 15 townhomes along Chavis Way.  Looks like construction started this month.  More info at http://www.transferoldeeast.com/ including brief description of each space.  Also recently announced that Locals Seafood and Oyster Bar will be one of the retailers.

TCo_plaza2.jpg

TCo_Corner+Street+View2.jpg

TCo_floorplan_2017-02-28.jpg

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am super excited about the possibilities here. The big glass windows on that corner will be perfect when I retire (a long way off actually) and can sit there and eat/drink/do what ever the current tenant sells/does. It's an interesting counter balance to Morgan St Food Hall. Lacking the corner stores that used to be all over in east downtown (because they became places that only sold cheap booze and cigarettes then became a nuisance then were torn down), this will fill that neighborhood shopping void. As an aside the older pictures on this link are one of my favorite old corner store spaces that has since been demolished. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The other lot at 10Arros is being dug out now. I am very curious to see what is going in there. I have a faint memory of someone mentioning free standing houses, but am not sure. 

Hargett Place only has two unsold units, both in that last 4 going up currently. Its noteworthy that two of the cemetery facing units were combined into a single, massive "townhouse". Given these started in the upper 700's, this unit should be around 1.5 million or so in price. Edit: They actually made it a floor plan to add to the website...1.4 million. 

The townhouses at Stones Warehouse are going up as well. Not sure about sales to date, but I imagine these will be of a similar popularity level as the Raleigh Architecture modernist houses going up everywhere (of which another is being crammed in on Swain between New Bern and Edenton). 

My, the changes are dizzying...

Does anyone know what is going on at the Cargill site south of town?

From the Wilmington Street bridge, it looks like most of the site is being torn down.  I know they stopped processing at the site a few years ago, but I do not know if they are just leveling the site, as was done with the Trailways site nearby.  I have not seen anything on the news sites, but maybe they did something a while ago and they are just now tearing it all down?

I wanted to get pictures, and might still since the snow has me stuck at home, but not sure if I want to try to walk over.

3 hours ago, ncwebguy said:

Does anyone know what is going on at the Cargill site south of town?

From the Wilmington Street bridge, it looks like most of the site is being torn down.  I know they stopped processing at the site a few years ago, but I do not know if they are just leveling the site, as was done with the Trailways site nearby.  I have not seen anything on the news sites, but maybe they did something a while ago and they are just now tearing it all down?

I wanted to get pictures, and might still since the snow has me stuck at home, but not sure if I want to try to walk over.

All I have heard is just what you saw...tearing down the main structures. I actually hope the central, 1914 brick building is kept...its kind of cool, like the old mills around town. 

On 1/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, Jones_ said:

The other lot at 10Arros is being dug out now. I am very curious to see what is going in there. I have a faint memory of someone mentioning free standing houses, but am not sure. 

subdivided into six 0.1 acre sites.  new alley across the site and running behind houses parallel to the streets.  I assume 6 free standing homes... probably modern style if I had to guess.  Same developer (Five Horizons Development)

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see a Southern Gateway thread, so I'll just dump this here.  It seems that the City has purchased 12 acres off of S. Wilmington St. directly across from Montlawn Cemetery as part of their plans to revitalize the southern side of Raleigh.

http://www.itbinsider.com/development-beat-taylors-service-station-set-for-redevelopment-by-mysterious-new-owner/

1 hour ago, Merthecat said:

I didn't see a Southern Gateway thread, so I'll just dump this here.  It seems that the City has purchased 12 acres off of S. Wilmington St. directly across from Montlawn Cemetery as part of their plans to revitalize the southern side of Raleigh.

http://www.itbinsider.com/development-beat-taylors-service-station-set-for-redevelopment-by-mysterious-new-owner/

Interesting...they are proposing square blocks there tied to the south bound Wilmington St ramp. I hadn't realized the gateway concerns extended this far south...pleasant surprise. 

8 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

Interesting...they are proposing square blocks there tied to the south bound Wilmington St ramp. I hadn't realized the gateway concerns extended this far south...pleasant surprise. 

I'm skeptical that anything close to that happens.  This area is nowhere close to being urban.  Would basically be creating it out of nothing.  I guess could be a test for future potential urbanization of strip malls along Capital Blvd or New Bern Ave between 440 and 540?

47 minutes ago, Green_man said:

... well... I mean ... that would actually make sense there.

I don't think there should be height or unit limitations anywhere. It would be a good area for at minimum 5 to 7  floor multi-unit residential. We need more multi-unit not more SFHs.

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

I'm skeptical that anything close to that happens.  This area is nowhere close to being urban.  Would basically be creating it out of nothing.  I guess could be a test for future potential urbanization of strip malls along Capital Blvd or New Bern Ave between 440 and 540?

Indeed. It'd be a half-a$$ version of proper urban form at best. FWIW the blocks (if you didn't pull it up) are penciled in from dropping a road north/south between the rear of the strip shopping center and Renaissance Park. It'd need sidewalks (which there is surprisingly some of in the area), redevelopment that fronts those sidewalks within the commercial blocks and maybe some transitory residential over retail stuff in between the retail and Renaissance Park.  Might as well try it instead of succumbing to the standard suburban spec. 

In case anyone is wondering, the Southern Gateway Report is like 100 pages long, and has a complete vision set out for this intersection. It's supposed to be a "town center" supporting Renaissance Park, zoned for 3 stories. This is the conceptual rendering from the report. It's also supposed to have a BRT station connecting it to DT. image.thumb.png.4fa959f380a1e8d46db6823fb92c6a3b.png

I was thinking should be more densely developed.  Like 5-6 story, first floor or so for commercial/ office with apartment/condo over (would let the developers do their hideous wood frame over commercial deck buildings). Also could see a couple of maybe 10 story or maybe more office buildings on counters where the two building with fake towers are shown, with maybe an arched connection of upper floors over Wilmington Street. Kind of like (I think) Landmark at North Hills. Make it look like a true gateway into downtown.  Also use parking decks in place of surface parking to allow green courtyards in center of blocks for apartment/condo residents. I think it would make much more interesting space and provide enough residents to support restaurants and shops with out depending on people driving in.   Just my 2cents worth.

Yeah, this is actually at the very southern edge of Raleigh city limits. Garner basically starts on the other side of Tryon Rd. I don't see this as a place where anyone is going to approve a 10 story building. Honestly, if the BRT is done correctly we'll see a lot of cheap but urban "luxury" mixed use development like the South End in Charlotte. If they actually made this (the rendering) happen, it would be a million times better than the current situation. I, like Green Man, am skeptical. 

They can approve buildings to whatever heights they want.  Nobody wants to build anything like this at that location.  And you think the city will lead this effort with millions of dollars of infrastructure spending?  Look how long its taken them to get around to Peace St or Person/Blount - projects that people are actually asking for. 

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

They can approve buildings to whatever heights they want.  Nobody wants to build anything like this at that location.  And you think the city will lead this effort with millions of dollars of infrastructure spending?  Look how long its taken them to get around to Peace St or Person/Blount - projects that people are actually asking for. 

I think you're probably right as of this moment. I don't think anyone wants to build this kind of thing at this location. The idea behind the BRT is that it will create demand. For those who don't know, BRT feels like an above-ground train rather than a bus, with dedicated lanes and stations rather than stops. The county is actually paying for it, not the city, so maybe it will actually happen. I personally would like to see hundreds of 3-story townhouses with a redeveloped retail corridor along Wilmington because I think that's 1. More realistic and 2. More likely to support homeownership. 

I like that rendering. I think it could work well there. With 67 or so people moving to Wake county per day, in 10 years all that empty area South of Tryon and West of Fayetteville will be developed, Gorman will be extended South, Yates Mill park will be surrounded by developments.

• 1 month later...

This is kind of an older story, but I saw this article came out back in Feb. 600 acres that were once going to be a golf community now slated to be more of a mixed-use development. Would love to see something with townhouses, small single family lots, and a commercial district, which is kind of what they sound like they might do. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article201635809.html

• 2 months later...

If anyone keeps up with the townhouse (townhouse style condos technically)  infill stuff, 10Arros Ph II has foundations going in. I am not totally sure if this phase is in fact the same style as Ph I as I never saw site plans for it...but nonetheless, denser, expensive, infill continues to be absorbed around the edges of downtown proper. 

Archived