Green Hills Happenings

Lukin

There are two articles in Monday's citypaper regarding recent developments in Green Hills.

The first: http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53207

Basically, it is just an affirmation of Green Hills as Nashville's dominate retail destination. It cites the new Hill center and Grace's plaza as additions to the mall in making Green hills a premier shopping area. The more I hear about the Hill center, the more appealing it sounds. The developers really seem to be trying to integrate the center into the community a provide a unique pedestrian-friendly atmosphere to otherwise car dominated green hills. While I wish the center was a little denser (more than the 1-3 stories planned for most of the buildings), it will be such a breath of fresh air for the area and hopefully will help transform the neighborhood.

Bedford commons is also another example of a transformation going on Green Hills to redevelop it as a denser, walkable community.

Now onto the more exciting news:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53210

And i quote (forgive me moderators if I am quoting to much from the article...)

...a large, mixed-use building (with retail and residential space) will soon be proposed for Green Hills.

...In addition, Rex will note that the proposed structure will, if it materialized, be the tallest in Green Hills, possibly pushing 20 stories (that is, about 200 feet tall).

Though Rex prodded his source, he could not determine the specific location of the proposed tower. He can only assume the building will have a swimming pool, fitness center and other goodies that are now standard for such projects.

An announcement regarding the project is expected this week.

Though I have never really read this rex guy's column in the Citypaper before, it doesn't seem to be in jest (ala the Scene's fabricator). Though the rest of the article is somewhat annoyingly coy and flippant, there is no indication that this is anything but serious.

It just seems a bit weird to have this little blurb about something that undoubtedly will be regarded as a huge deal when (and if) it is properly announced...

exciting times for green hills. I just wonder where this thing could possibly go up...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real problem in that area is the traffic. More people, more traffic. I think that there needs to be a better solution. Also depends where the 20 story will be. Green Hills has odd boundaries. It depends on who you talk to. I would really rather see it closer into town. I think that developers are starting to look at every available option to get the biggest bang for the buck.

Yeah... I might be one of those NIMBYs on this one. I live over there and, to be honest, I'm not crazy about the idea of a 20 story tower. Not that it's a beautiful or historically significant area to "protect", but I'd like to see more along the lines of the new Hills Center or that new development off Abbott Martin (forgot the name). In any event, I'll try to reserve judgment until I see what the plan is (location, uses, site plan, etc.). Maybe it will be just what the area needs...

The real problem in that area is the traffic. More people, more traffic. I think that there needs to be a better solution. Also depends where the 20 story will be. Green Hills has odd boundaries. It depends on who you talk to. I would really rather see it closer into town. I think that developers are starting to look at every available option to get the biggest bang for the buck.

There are two articles in Monday's citypaper regarding recent developments in Green Hills.

The first: http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53207

Basically, it is just an affirmation of Green Hills as Nashville's dominate retail destination. It cites the new Hill center and Grace's plaza as additions to the mall in making Green hills a premier shopping area. The more I hear about the Hill center, the more appealing it sounds. The developers really seem to be trying to integrate the center into the community a provide a unique pedestrian-friendly atmosphere to otherwise car dominated green hills. While I wish the center was a little denser (more than the 1-3 stories planned for most of the buildings), it will be such a breath of fresh air for the area and hopefully will help transform the neighborhood.

Bedford commons is also another example of a transformation going on Green Hills to redevelop it as a denser, walkable community.

Now onto the more exciting news:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53210

And i quote (forgive me moderators if I am quoting to much from the article...)

...a large, mixed-use building (with retail and residential space) will soon be proposed for Green Hills.

...In addition, Rex will note that the proposed structure will, if it materialized, be the tallest in Green Hills, possibly pushing 20 stories (that is, about 200 feet tall).

Though Rex prodded his source, he could not determine the specific location of the proposed tower. He can only assume the building will have a swimming pool, fitness center and other goodies that are now standard for such projects.

An announcement regarding the project is expected this week.

Though I have never really read this rex guy's column in the Citypaper before, it doesn't seem to be in jest (ala the Scene's fabricator). Though the rest of the article is somewhat annoyingly coy and flippant, there is no indication that this is anything but serious.

It just seems a bit weird to have this little blurb about something that undoubtedly will be regarded as a huge deal when (and if) it is properly announced...

exciting times for green hills. I just wonder where this thing could possibly go up...

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's b/c he can get a lot more density with a new building. Don't you know the old building (and I think it's the one that Bellsouth used to be in) is as solid as a rock. But it's probably also not engineered to go higher. It's a great flashback to another era though. Rochford has a reputation for being sensitive to the surrounding neighborhood... even though he's gotten some bad press for the wrong reasons (e.g. jacksonian).

I think it's b/c he can get a lot more density with a new building. Don't you know the old building (and I think it's the one that Bellsouth used to be in) is as solid as a rock. But it's probably also not engineered to go higher. It's a great flashback to another era though. Rochford has a reputation for being sensitive to the surrounding neighborhood... even though he's gotten some bad press for the wrong reasons (e.g. jacksonian).

It took me 30 minutes to get from Hillsboro Village to the Green Hills Mall today. I think all the new development in and around green hills is exciting but I can't help wondering how it (and future developments like this one) will impact traffic over the next 5-10 years. If the density in the commercial area of green hills is significantly increased I just don't see how the existing road network and neighborhoods are going to cope without the normal outlets that downtowns have to handle traffic. Not sure there are any easy answers though.

If they ever do LTR or BRT, this is the area that needs it more than many in Metro. The big question is how to do it. Its always a bear to drive out there and around the holidays it is worse. I have been working at a house out there week before last and this week and it takes me a while to manuver through the traffic. If ever there were a place to do an ELL for mass transit this may be the place.

The Green Hills area is destined to grow even more over the next 5 to 15 years and it will only get worse. I agree this is something Metro needs to look at sooner rather than later. I dont know what the time table is for this area as far as mass transit. Maybe someone can enlighten us???

True enough. Anyone know if the new Hill development will provide for some connectivity with the existing development around it ? I don't mean just at the street, which I'm sure they're doing but midway into the site towards Bandywood and the old Green Hills Grille on the other side. I recently toured a project in Cool Springs that is doing this and I must say, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

the Green Hills Action partners are pushing for all new development to consider interconnectivity and from what I've seen, the Hill Center and Bedford Commons have done just that. I live right down the street from the development and am looking forward to walking to Whole Foods.

Archived