Gaylord considering expansion

smeagolsfree

I saw this from the Tennessean last week but no one posted it. This article references the acreage that Gaylord has nearby. There could also be another hotel expansion with the number of room nights they turned away last year, an amazing 2.5 million room nights. If you have an average of lets say 190 dollars a night, that equates to $47,500,000.00. It would pay for itself in just a few years.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=2006611070326

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw this from the Tennessean last week but no one posted it. This article references the acreage that Gaylord has nearby. There could also be another hotel expansion with the number of room nights they turned away last year, an amazing 2.5 million room nights. If you have an average of lets say 190 dollars a night, that equates to $47,500,000.00. It would pay for itself in just a few years.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=2006611070326

I believe the 2.5 million room-nights was for the all the hotels, which is what, 3? As Colin Reed said, "it's a good problem to have."

The article also stated and reaffirmed the need for a large, year-round attraction be it a theme park, a super indoor water park, more hotel rooms, theaters, who knows for sure.

Something is going to happen there. It'll be fun to see just what, and when.

I believe if rooms were to be added to the hotel, they would be on existing property in the form of a taller addition. There's too many amenities in the hotel to move people too far away.

Briley's further along than it appears. The only major construction left is the southbound side of the Elm Hill Pike bridge. The northbound bridge is wrapping up now. The bridge at Lebanon road won't take long, but the Two Rivers bridge is done, road grading is about finished and the median walls are going up. When they do the walls, they're close to complete. It's one helluva ribbon of concrete. This sucker must have been really expensive.

Briley's further along than it appears. The only major construction left is the southbound side of the Elm Hill Pike bridge. The northbound bridge is wrapping up now. The bridge at Lebanon road won't take long, but the Two Rivers bridge is done, road grading is about finished and the median walls are going up. When they do the walls, they're close to complete. It's one helluva ribbon of concrete. This sucker must have been really expensive.

That has got to be one of the coolest (no pun intended) ideas I've EVER heard! Of course it would never happen, but if they did do something like that, it would draw people to the hotel who would come to Nashville just for that special section of the hotel. That would be soooooo neat, and would also attract locals. Another (cheaper, probably) idea would be to do the opposite and build an indoor beach, ocean waterfront, boardwalk, and carnival. They could make it like the beaches of the past, and give it a retro feel, maybe? I dunno, I would be happy for something less grand and I would just be happy to see Opryland again.

LOL @ briley parkway. That part under construction is surely a crazy ride - especially at top speed (kheldane takes all roads at top speed).

I think Gaylor should ignore everyone who is saying to build a theme park (no offense guys) and do what its owners are already thinking about doing: build something that is not as seasonal as a theme park to have more year-round revenue. I think they should build a Huge Convention Center with a Huge Hotel, maybe some kind of monorail to connect it to the existing hotel. The should also build another climate controled indoor attraction, but this time not a jungle. No, I'm suggesting the opposite - a north-polar wonder-land. Indoor ski slopes, indoor snow boarding. Big glas-roofed ice skating on an artificial frozen lake with spruce trees and the like. A year-round exhibit of ice sculpture. Simulated glaciers and indoor ice climbing. A polar bear exhibit. A penguin exhibit. A Beluga Whale or Killer whale exhibit. A Walrus exhibit. Free Igloo bulding lessons from real eskimos in the "Snow Room" - an indoor room with man-made snow storms that alternate between full-on blizzards and lightly falling snowflakes. A snowball fight room. A curling rink. Indoor polar mineral hotsprings (like an indoor iceland). My basic premise is this: Global warming means people rarely get to experience a winter wonderland anymore. That means people's curriosity of all things winter/polar is increased. Add to that the christmas atmosphere that could prevail in at least part of the attraction, and you have the perfect attraction. Interesting year-round because its indoor and Tennessee winters are totally un-intereting, and more convention space to attract conventions, more rooms to soak up the people. The number one biggest challeng is how to link it up with the existing hotel since the properties are not contiguous. A monorail seems like the best bet, but maybe a deal could be worked out with the city to allow a street-car style train to run through the street and connect the properties. They could call it the "polar express" as long as that name is not copyrighted or something. If so, then I vote for "Arctic Transit Authority".

LOL @ briley parkway. That part under construction is surely a crazy ride - especially at top speed (kheldane takes all roads at top speed).

I think Gaylor should ignore everyone who is saying to build a theme park (no offense guys) and do what its owners are already thinking about doing: build something that is not as seasonal as a theme park to have more year-round revenue. I think they should build a Huge Convention Center with a Huge Hotel, maybe some kind of monorail to connect it to the existing hotel. The should also build another climate controled indoor attraction, but this time not a jungle. No, I'm suggesting the opposite - a north-polar wonder-land. Indoor ski slopes, indoor snow boarding. Big glas-roofed ice skating on an artificial frozen lake with spruce trees and the like. A year-round exhibit of ice sculpture. Simulated glaciers and indoor ice climbing. A polar bear exhibit. A penguin exhibit. A Beluga Whale or Killer whale exhibit. A Walrus exhibit. Free Igloo bulding lessons from real eskimos in the "Snow Room" - an indoor room with man-made snow storms that alternate between full-on blizzards and lightly falling snowflakes. A snowball fight room. A curling rink. Indoor polar mineral hotsprings (like an indoor iceland). My basic premise is this: Global warming means people rarely get to experience a winter wonderland anymore. That means people's curriosity of all things winter/polar is increased. Add to that the christmas atmosphere that could prevail in at least part of the attraction, and you have the perfect attraction. Interesting year-round because its indoor and Tennessee winters are totally un-intereting, and more convention space to attract conventions, more rooms to soak up the people. The number one biggest challeng is how to link it up with the existing hotel since the properties are not contiguous. A monorail seems like the best bet, but maybe a deal could be worked out with the city to allow a street-car style train to run through the street and connect the properties. They could call it the "polar express" as long as that name is not copyrighted or something. If so, then I vote for "Arctic Transit Authority".

No, a theme park is not a year round attraction, but it's pretty darn close. The only months Opryland Themepark generated no revenue was November, January, and February. You have to look at it from the standpoint that it's an attraction, not a cash cow. Most people in this town have fond memories of Opryland. I'm a very conservative person, but think beyond dollars on this one. I worked at Opryland Themepark the last year it was open, and it might turn out I work the first year "it" opens.

An indoor attraction is not a bad idea. Many water parks in the north are indoor and if you , lets say built the largest indoor water park in the world then you have a year round attraction. Its not a crazy as you may think. From what I have heard it will be, (if built) a Branson type operation. Maybe they could incorporate more into it. Whatever happen, it needs to be family oriented for all ages, not just convention goers.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/61201011

HUZZAH!! Gaylord's looking to bring a major tourist attraction to fair Nashville!!!. I wonder what they are coming up with.

On another note, those Tennessean postings were worth something today and someone posted this link, looks intriguing, but will they abandon their plans now that Gaylord has made a move? I really doubt Nashville could host 2 different parks.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/ole__south_usa.htm

I look forward to further info on this!! :D

Archived