Gaylord considering expansion

smeagolsfree

Gaylord: I'm really excited about what may be a theme park or some sort of similar attraction

Ole' South: Oh god, please no! PLEASE not in Williamson County...it sounds mortifiengly embarrassing. I can hear it now, "I live it in Franklin, TN..." "Oh, isn't that where that hick-theme park is?" Hopefully it's somewhere in Mid-TN, but not in the Wilco. Might be a neat theme if done correctly though...a little recreated Charleston or Savannah, a little DT Nash, Appalachia...well I guess they can do like a coal mine roller coaster, and countryside they could have a big plantation home with food and stuff. Might be neat, I really just want SOMETHING, but optimally I want Opryland, although I know we'll never have that back

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds like the best proposal I have heard about in a while. 2000 acres is a lot af land which makes me think it would be huge. The theme is a perfect fit for Nashville and would replace Opryland. I do nto think that what ever Gaylord has planned is a Theme Park. From whta I have heard it is a Branson type development. If that is the case it would only complement an amusment or theme park.

I'm really interested to see what Gaylord has up its sleeve. The other one, sounds pretty ambitious. And to employ 400 people? Big whoop. Certainly don't need 2000 acres for that. There have been so many ideas like this over the years, I'll wait until someone beside the rumor page from a Park site tells me it's so.

This idea will need a lot of work.

Ole South, isn't that in Mississippi?

OK, I heard something about this project today. I talked with a friend who lives up in Nashville whose wife works at Gaylord. I didn't get to see him last week so we were getting caught up. This topic came up.

He said that Gaylord is very serious about this project. Their intent is to build a group of soundstages in the shape of a star with different studios and live venues in each point. It will be like a mini Branson and all under one roof. There is a hotel component and retail. One way they intend to get the max out of the property (as it is on the smallish side) is to utilize parking garages. It will be the site of production, live broadcasts, and a show like Star Search/American Idol. It is intended to be a self-contained convention magnet. There will be some convention space, but they really need the rooms and some replacement for the live shows that they lost when the O'land Park closed. Back then, they were a huge employer (and by default a scout) of local talent. They lost a lot of that.

Oh and I almost forgot... they are seeking some kind of centerpiece like an aquarium to rival ours here in Atlanta (according to him)....or a huge American Music Museum to cover all genres. They are still ironing this out. One name that has been mentioned in association with the museum is Mike Curb... the former musician... former lt. governor of CA... former entrepreneur extraordinaire... and current philanthropist in town. They are also considering time-share units. So that part is yet to be seen.

Nope... no roller coasters from Gaylord. However, it was just last week that my host in Nashville told me that a huge operator of theme parks is still scouting the area for a music themed amusement parks with a full complement of rides too! He didn't know who it was, but I'm guessing Disney is back in the picture. Can you imagine if they took the music park business away from Gaylord? I don't think Gaylord really cares however, b/c they didn't want to be in the amusement park business. Six Flags is having money troubles... the last thing they'd want is to dump money they don't have into a new park.

I was on the Predators message board and someone posted that the econ dev. people in Rutherford county were mumbling about Disney scouting out land for a park there. Thought that was interesting, sure area lot of rumours flying at this point.

Nope... no roller coasters from Gaylord. However, it was just last week that my host in Nashville told me that a huge operator of theme parks is still scouting the area for a music themed amusement parks with a full complement of rides too! He didn't know who it was, but I'm guessing Disney is back in the picture. Can you imagine if they took the music park business away from Gaylord? I don't think Gaylord really cares however, b/c they didn't want to be in the amusement park business. Six Flags is having money troubles... the last thing they'd want is to dump money they don't have into a new park.

Archived