How about the inside of the building?

Yankee Fan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some really cool build-outs in the Brass Works Building, especially BBK Studio, Design Works AE, ISG and a couple of others. Never got pictures though.

Here are a few I have gotten:

The periodical section in the old portion of Ryerson Library

72504080_1cbe2c1114.jpg

The transitional atrium between old/new in Ryerson Library

72504082_e03dc6f490.jpg

Refurbished marble in Ryerson

72503078_dccd36162b.jpg

The lobby of the Steelcase Ballroom at Devos Place, which used to be the Civic Center

72503076_4c0aa94525.jpg

Fountain Street Church

72506253_21ad9b1177_b.jpg

72506254_5be1dcd254_b.jpg

from the balcony

72506255_71516d167f.jpg

United Way West Michigan in the old Heysteck Building

72511246_d353b4a167_b.jpg

72511248_1c6590ab93_b.jpg

Thanks GRDad for including pics of the Fountain St. Church's organ. I believe it has somewhere north of 150 ranks of pipes and several dozen more ranks of digital voices which makes for one very large and powerful organ. I've heard this organ in all of it splendor during my College Grad ceremony that took place in the church back in 2000. What an awsome instrument! Of course I love organ music.

Thanks GRDad for including pics of the Fountain St. Church's organ. I believe it has somewhere north of 150 ranks of pipes and several dozen more ranks of digital voices which makes for one very large and powerful organ. I've heard this organ in all of it splendor during my College Grad ceremony that took place in the church back in 2000. What an awsome instrument! Of course I love organ music.

I always liked the interior of the Richard M. DeVos Center on GVSU's downtown campus. It always felt like a quality building to me. That seems rare in new construction. I worked there for a couple years before graduating, so I was real familiar with it.

By contrast, Secchia Hall across the street is a pile of crap. :thumbsup:

-nb

A small correction -- the room now known as the Steelcase Ballroom was the lobby of the old Civic AUDITORIUM, not CENTER. Wonderful Art Deco Ocean Liner style.

Great shots of Fountain Street Church. Yes, that organ is spectacular. My Dad got to play it on numerous occasions when he filled in at FSC following his retirement from another church. Also, the window with Darwin is pretty adventuresome, but considering that the former chief minister of the church was known to the more conservative in the clerical community as "Duncan Littlefaith," not surprising.

There are more pipes at the rear of the sanctuary, aimed horizontally towards the front. When they kick in, it sounds r-e-a-l-l-y cool.

The stained glass is pretty, but...ya gotta show the 19thC saints. There's a window with Lincoln, one with Darwin, and so on.

[never see those, as I sit on the first floor]

I always liked the interior of the Richard M. DeVos Center on GVSU's downtown campus. It always felt like a quality building to me. That seems rare in new construction. I worked there for a couple years before graduating, so I was real familiar with it.

By contrast, Secchia Hall across the street is a pile of crap. :thumbsup:

-nb

I've alway liked the Old World feel of GVSU's DT campus. Other buildings in DT with more modern architecture will soon become very dated looking while this campus will atleast visualy stand the test of time.

I'm also a fan of the DeVos Center. It reminds me of the Begijnhof in Amsterdam with its beautiful courtyard accessed by small entrances. Also, the ceiling in the library is very nice - as is the library as a whole. My only complaint is that some of the staircases are so narrow. Didn't the architect realize he's in MI? Though I guess that means most folks take the elevators to the 2nd floor . . .

Archived