Boston Dining Experiences and Reviews

Cotuit

I'm starting this thread for selfish reasons, I need a restaurant recommendation, but also, the Providence and Hartford sections have similar threads so Boston should have one too.

This thread is a place for people to review restaurants and get recommendations.

What I'm looking for is a place in Boston, Downtown or Back Bay, for a large group, probably 10, for a late afternoon dinner. We are getting the in-laws together the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a first meeting. His family lives in Lynn, mines on the Cape. More typically American fare is probably best, the palettes involved are not terribly adventurous.

Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT** I've been adding website and dinner menu links to the places mentioned. Please post them if you know them.

I nominate Charley's. It's located on Newbury St. at Gloucester. Very typical American fare. The food is consistently good, but nothing ground-breaking. They also serve the same menu all day long, and don't have "lighter-fare" during non-peak hours. It's owned by the same people who own Joe's American (also a safe choice, with locations on Newbury and on the water near Faneuil Hall, Long Wharf maybe). Between the two, I like the quieter/quainter interior of Charley's better.

As far as food goes, they have excellent French Onion Soup, and I really enjoy their ribs, sandwichs and burgers. Steaks were just ok. My wife who is a vegetarion likes the baked Schrod, and pasta alfredo.

I'll post some reviews on restaurants with other cuisines that I've enjoyed later.

It's helpful to know what kind of price range and type of ambience we are talking.

I'll put it Providence terms, would you be looking at Paragon or Mill's Tavern?

With no offense to the Elephant and Castle (I've been there many a fine evening), it has more of a bar feel than restaurant. This sounds like a special occasion that requires a bit more. However I don't know any of the principals involved (other than yourself) so I can't judge correctly.

If you don't mind going over the river, one hthe best American restaurants is the East Coast Grille, although their vegetarian selections are extremely light. (er, scratch that, guess you want to stay in the city center)

Actually Harvard and Central Squares would work. The occasion is a bit on the special side, but the participants are quite laid back. Comparing to Providence, Barnsiders would be a good fit. And we would do Barnsiders if it didn't mean dragging one of the in-laws all the way down from the North Shore.

How is John Harvard's for dining, I've only ever had drinks there? And is Grendels still around?

I could not, in good conscience, recommend an Elephant & Castle. My experiences with them have not been good. Upstairs on the Square, the successor to Upstairs at the Pudding in Cambridge might be a good choice. The new look is over-the-top, but the food at the old place was always good. In fact, I think they are in the space where Grendel's Den used to be. I'm not sure if the Casablanca is still in the basement of the Brattle Theater on Brattle Street, but it might be worth consideration. The food is only vaguely Moroccan.

Upstairs on the Square

Casablanca Restaurant

I'm starting this thread for selfish reasons, I need a restaurant recommendation, but also, the Providence and Hartford sections have similar threads so Boston should have one too.

This thread is a place for people to review restaurants and get recommendations.

What I'm looking for is a place in Boston, Downtown or Back Bay, for a large group, probably 10, for a late afternoon dinner. We are getting the in-laws together the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a first meeting. His family lives in Lynn, mines on the Cape. More typically American fare is probably best, the palettes involved are not terribly adventurous.

Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My mother, step-dad and I had dinner at Via Matta at Park Plaza in Boston on Saturday night.. the service and food were both phenominal. Prices are moderate for Boston. I think it was about $170 between the three of us, but that was with a LOT of Martinis and Bloody Marys (my family loves to drink). :alc:

www.viamattarestaurant.com

I had heard mixed reviews of The Top Of The Hub, but some last minute holiday plan changes required a quick set of reservations somewhere nice, and special for my family from out of town this past Thanksgiving. I decided on taking them to the Pru, as my sense of intuition hinted that things were gonna be OK.

The meal was simply brilliant, and perfectly assembled. The service was outstanding.

And so was the bill. Eek.

Archived