Brambleton Ave.

NSUREDD

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major construction activities associated with the improvements to the Brambleton Avenue corridor are scheduled to begin in December. The $7 million project includes three initiatives: replacement of the Brambleton Avenue Bridge deck; installation of a new traffic signal at Botetourt Street; and replacement of a water transmission main. The bridge improvements include repair to the substructure, widening of the bridge to include a 10-foot Elizabeth River Trail multi-use path, and installation of decorative lighting, rails, and brick accent in the median.

A contract is currently being awarded to Precon Construction Company. City staff will hold detailed discussions on scheduling, sequencing of work, traffic control, and alternative routes with the contractor in the coming weeks and will coordinate with appropriate civic leagues and business interests to manage changes in traffic patterns and impacts to neighborhoods. This project is expected to take 18 months to complete.

Additional planned improvements for this corridor, including improvements at Brambleton Avenue at Colley and a second entrance into the Fort Norfolk district are in the early design phase. Improvements to the Brambleton underpass east of Tidewater Drive are also currently under design.

Major construction activities associated with the improvements to the Brambleton Avenue corridor are scheduled to begin in December. The $7 million project includes three initiatives: replacement of the Brambleton Avenue Bridge deck; installation of a new traffic signal at Botetourt Street; and replacement of a water transmission main. The bridge improvements include repair to the substructure, widening of the bridge to include a 10-foot Elizabeth River Trail multi-use path, and installation of decorative lighting, rails, and brick accent in the median.

A contract is currently being awarded to Precon Construction Company. City staff will hold detailed discussions on scheduling, sequencing of work, traffic control, and alternative routes with the contractor in the coming weeks and will coordinate with appropriate civic leagues and business interests to manage changes in traffic patterns and impacts to neighborhoods. This project is expected to take 18 months to complete.

Additional planned improvements for this corridor, including improvements at Brambleton Avenue at Colley and a second entrance into the Fort Norfolk district are in the early design phase. Improvements to the Brambleton underpass east of Tidewater Drive are also currently under design.

Hmmm... no mention of Light Rail that will have to cross the same water way as the Brambleton Ave. bridge. I guess it's because nothing has been made official yet... most likely the reason we haven't heard anything about the Brambleton Tower project (TOD) either.

Well I was under the impression that the LR would have its own bridge built anyway, so improvements to Brambleton are much appreciated. As someone who lives in the area where this work will be done, I am happy to hear of a signal at Botetourt and wish that there were more moves for traffic control along Brambleton in general. The speed limit is 35 but you would think it is 70 the way people fly down the road. I think the fact that there are no signals between Boush and Colley give people a green light to race from on end to the other. I am not a big advocate for signals but I think that Brambleton is wasted as a cut through for the ODU/tunnel crowd.

oh I am sure Telmnstr, when I was living in VB up until 2001, Brambleton was in crappy condition. I can just imagine how bad it is now.

JPN0731, what you are asking for would take a hand of god to change. First question would be, how do you suppose Norfolk handle traffic that goes to the midtown tunnel? It is going to be easier for that region to fix Pembroke's traffic before Brambleton's.

Although I do have a suggestion to what you are talking about, it would require a more of a neighborhood bridge that would connect W Freemason to Fort Norfolk, which would ease some of the traffic for Brambleton......now to make that happen, PETA would probably have to move, that little ship company would have to go, a couple million dollar historical homes would have to go........hmmmm, not seeing that happening. On the other spectrum, the city could always widen parts of Brambleton, include the bridge, but that wouldn't really fix the problem just agree that it is basically a highway.

You think Brambleton is bad, try going thru the Lincoln tunnel at rush hour. Thats a hair raising experience. Big cities have have awful traffic, it comes with the territory. The more people move into HR, the worse it will get. There is no way for roadways to keep up with population growth, so don't expect it to ever get any better.

You think Brambleton is bad, try going thru the Lincoln tunnel at rush hour. Thats a hair raising experience. Big cities have have awful traffic, it comes with the territory. The more people move into HR, the worse it will get. There is no way for roadways to keep up with population growth, so don't expect it to ever get any better.

Looks like fun: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...3&ran=13727

I guess that we will be having a second entrance to Fort Norfolk and some more lights on Brambleton after all.

Actually urbanlife, the old bridge that used to connect Atlantic City to Freemason was at the end of York Street. That was before NRHA wiped the map clean from York to where the Hague Tower is now. As for the bridge going over now... yeah I don't think the NOAA is going to let a bridge go through it's property and I don't think that Norfolk will allow it.

I don't know what the fix is for Brambleton. But being a speedway through DT will cut more economic opportunities than adding more signals and slowing traffic along its route will do. The MT tunnel fix is easy: INSTALL TOLLS that can ONLY be used for the MT tunnel and build the second tube. The infastructure on the other side is all set up and ready for it.

Beginning Monday, December 11, the inside lane on the Eastbound span and the inside lane on the Westbound span of Brambleton Avenue will be closed for construction activities. Contractors will begin installing a decorative median on Brambletown Avenue which is part of the overall improvements to this corridor.

from norfolk.gov

Archived