Ruskin Heights

CellarDoor135

This morning I discovered that on the website for DPZ (the Miami-based developers of such successful planned communities as Seaside FL) they have updated their section on Ruskin Heights in Fayetteville. They now have pictures and a plan of what they are going to build there, if it is approved. I was very very impressed by what I saw and I thought this was very exciting news. Definitely the best mixed-use development to date in Fayetteville, if it gets built, that is.

www.dpz.com, go to projects, click on Arkansas, then click on Ruskin Heights

OR

www.dpz.com and search for "Ruskin Heights"

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I discovered that on the website for DPZ (the Miami-based developers of such successful planned communities as Seaside FL) they have updated their section on Ruskin Heights in Fayetteville. They now have pictures and a plan of what they are going to build there, if it is approved. I was very very impressed by what I saw and I thought this was very exciting news. Definitely the best mixed-use development to date in Fayetteville, if it gets built, that is.

www.dpz.com, go to projects, click on Arkansas, then click on Ruskin Heights

OR

www.dpz.com and search for "Ruskin Heights"

If it comes out looking even halfway like that, I'm impressed. I like the way they've used the hill to create a terraced look with houses unlike anything I've seen in this area. Impressive.

Very Impressive. I will go ahead and add the direct link to Ruskin Heights on dpz's site.

Ruskin Heights - Just Click on Arkansas - then Fayetteville.

Also the developers have a website but it is currently very uninformative. Hopefully they will get around to updating it soon.

Ruskin Heights (developer)

I had no idea about this project. CellarDoor, if you want to add it to the NWA Masterlist thread, that's fine with me.

Here is a little more detail on the project. The entire project will cover 31 acres and it will consist of 122 SF detached homes, 54 Townhouses, 23 Live/Work Units, 21 MultiFamilty, and 74 MultiFamily Retail Units. This will be the most interesting New Urbanism development in Arkansas and I can't wait until it gets underway.

Ruskin Info

The developers are out of Fayetteville. They are also involved in many large scale projects around the city. The largest are Renaissance Tower and Southpass as well as many other "unannounced" and smaller projects.

I agree, rather impressive. I don't think it is my cup of tea, based on the renderings (I'm no architect, but those houses look to be similar to early 20th century style homes), but I think it would fit in with the area. Plus, it's in a great location-- I always thought that property with that house on that hill was fantastic.

Not very urban with a lot of wasted space, but WOW as far as the design goes.

What do you mean by wasted space? They had to meet tree preservation PLUS park land; the city insisted they couldn't consider the two issues together. The lots seem small and they tried to plan on-street parking instead of large lots.

I'd heard about it but not too many details yet. It does look interesting. Here's a few pics from their website.

[

I believe this is also the development that wants to build a stone three story observation tower.

Wow, wow, wow, is all I can say. This is really cool. Reminds me of northern California. Love the concept. Great renderings, too. This is an exciting project that will do well here.

0622-SingleFamilyonSlopingHill_z.jpg

Overall I think the density is great, but from this render it seems there could be more density and I don't see many trees at all in this render. I do like the design overall though.

What do you mean by wasted space? They had to meet tree preservation PLUS park land; the city insisted they couldn't consider the two issues together. The lots seem small and they tried to plan on-street parking instead of large lots.

Well it's possible they didn't put in a lot of trees in the rendering because then you'd cover up a lot of the details they were trying to show off. To me it seems like a great use of space. They seem to have a nice density to it, the houses aren't put on big lots. I also think the style of it will do rather well here. I think it's a nice use of hillside space.

0622-PedestrianStreet_z.jpg

0622-BungalowCourt2_z.jpg

I do like the density in these renders, but the previous one just looks too rural and bare. It's most likely just the design, which it seems that instead of backyards the individual houses will have "sideyards", with roads in front and back.

Well it's possible they didn't put in a lot of trees in the rendering because then you'd cover up a lot of the details they were trying to show off. To me it seems like a great use of space. They seem to have a nice density to it, the houses aren't put on big lots. I also think the style of it will do rather well here. I think it's a nice use of hillside space.

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of the developers of Ruskin Heights and have really enjoyed reading the comments on this board. We are in the middle of the approval process right now (actually go to Subdivision tomorrow morning). Around town, people have been very supportive, but there is some vocal opposition from surrounding neighbors. We could sure use support at Planning Commission and City Council.

Most of the comments I have read hit the nail on the head, but I wanted to clarify a few points. First, our development group is not part of the group doing the Renaissance Tower and the other big projects mentioned (although I certainly respect what John Nock and Richard Alexander have done/ are doing). My partners and I are focused only on Ruskin Heights. These projects take a ton of commitment and the three of us basically decided that we would rather do one deal well than try to take on too much. Second, at about 10 units per acre, this project certainly cannot be called dense or very urban, but even at the proposed density, we have some nervous neighbors. The public charrette helped somewhat, but this is still a bit new to Fayetteville. Finally, the renderings are from the charrette. They capture the feel pretty well, but they are not 100% representative. For example, the observation platform ("tower" in the news) will only be around 40 feet tall and made of native stone. Also, the downtown area will be more reminiscent of downtown Eureka Springs (not the Victorian area of Eureka Springs) than some of the renderings might indicate. Overall, the architecture will be heavily influenced by the Arts & Crafts movement, but certain portions, the tree-house section for instance, will likely be very modern.

We love to talk about this neighborhood and have moved our offices to an existing home on site. I certainly don't want to violate the solicitation policy of this site, but we love to talk about this project and are always available to answer questions. Also, our web site is being updated as we speak!!

Ward Davis

479-422-2955

[email protected]

I am one of the developers of Ruskin Heights and have really enjoyed reading the comments on this board. We are in the middle of the approval process right now (actually go to Subdivision tomorrow morning). Around town, people have been very supportive, but there is some vocal opposition from surrounding neighbors. We could sure use support at Planning Commission and City Council.

Most of the comments I have read hit the nail on the head, but I wanted to clarify a few points. First, our development group is not part of the group doing the Renaissance Tower and the other big projects mentioned (although I certainly respect what John Nock and Richard Alexander have done/ are doing). My partners and I are focused only on Ruskin Heights. These projects take a ton of commitment and the three of us basically decided that we would rather do one deal well than try to take on too much. Second, at about 10 units per acre, this project certainly cannot be called dense or very urban, but even at the proposed density, we have some nervous neighbors. The public charrette helped somewhat, but this is still a bit new to Fayetteville. Finally, the renderings are from the charrette. They capture the feel pretty well, but they are not 100% representative. For example, the observation platform ("tower" in the news) will only be around 40 feet tall and made of native stone. Also, the downtown area will be more reminiscent of downtown Eureka Springs (not the Victorian area of Eureka Springs) than some of the renderings might indicate. Overall, the architecture will be heavily influenced by the Arts & Crafts movement, but certain portions, the tree-house section for instance, will likely be very modern.

We love to talk about this neighborhood and have moved our offices to an existing home on site. I certainly don't want to violate the solicitation policy of this site, but we love to talk about this project and are always available to answer questions. Also, our web site is being updated as we speak!!

Ward Davis

479-422-2955

[email protected]

Thanks for clarifying and providing some more info. I know you have to be careful you don't break any rules but hopefully you will be able to keep us up to date on what's going on. I'm interested in seeing what this development is going to be like. I really like the density and I'm glad some developers are addressing this issue. I know not everyone in Fayetteville welcomes density but I certainly think it beats sprawl. At the City Plan 2025 meetings Dover-Kohl tried to get people to realize that density isn't a four letter word. They showed some very nice neighborhoods which happen to be denser than what you'd typically find around here. Anyway welcome to the forum, nice to hear from you.

Ward Davis

479-422-2955

[email protected]

Thanks for the info Mr Davis. Most of us think that this is going to be a great project for east Fayetteville and can't wait until it gets off the ground. Please keep us updated if you can on this project or any other that you guys work on in the future. You are part of Growth Group w/ Mitchell Massey right?

Mitchell is an equal partner with the three of us on the deal and Morgan Hooker and I used to be minority owners of Growth Group. We kind of have the best of both worlds by being able to focus on this project while having access to a larger organization for support.

I certainly appreciate the support and would encourage folks to voice that support at the Planning Commission and City Council (or tomorrow at the Subdivision Meeting). I know that people usually only motivate to show up when they have negative comments, but we could sure use the help. An e-mail to Tim Conklin, Jeremy Pate, and Andrew Garner at the City as well as to the Councilmembers and Commissioners wouldn't hurt as well!! I will keep checking in with key dates during the approval process.

Mitchell is an equal partner with the three of us on the deal and Morgan Hooker and I used to be minority owners of Growth Group. We kind of have the best of both worlds by being able to focus on this project while having access to a larger organization for support.

I certainly appreciate the support and would encourage folks to voice that support at the Planning Commission and City Council (or tomorrow at the Subdivision Meeting). I know that people usually only motivate to show up when they have negative comments, but we could sure use the help. An e-mail to Tim Conklin, Jeremy Pate, and Andrew Garner at the City as well as to the Councilmembers and Commissioners wouldn't hurt as well!! I will keep checking in with key dates during the approval process.

Hey, Ward. Mark Z. here--I am your next door neighbor over there on Lafayette. Love the project--and I think it could very successful due to it being differentiated from all else around here. Best of luck to you!

Disappointing Update.

We were forwarded with a recommendation to deny by the Subdivision Committee of the Planning Commission (2 for denial, 1 for passage). Their whole problem revolves around density. We are proposing 10 units per acre which follows a transect from condos on Mission to single family lots up the hill and on the edges. This density is, as many of you know, relatively sparse relative to most TND's. The two that voted for denial claim to be very supportive of New Urbanist concepts and City Plan 2025, but admitted that they are swayed by "not-in-my-back-yard" in this case.

We feel very strongly about a mix of uses (and, therefore, density) are critical to a healthy community and have decided to move forward with the current plan, but will need public support. The Planning Commission meeting is at 5:30 on Monday, December 11th.

Archived