Ruskin Heights

CellarDoor135

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read in the newspaper about the infrastructure I was assuming they were just talking about phase one. I can't imagine that developers would put in all the infrastructure for a development that was going to take years all at once. I'm not so sure though that a bank wouldn't make changes. Especially on the latter stages, where some of the more innovative development would have happened. Even if someone else comes in and follows the general plan I also worry that they'll try to go through and do it cheaply just to save money. Forget about the new urbanism aspects and such. Why bother with a multi-use structure here when we can just throw up an easy strip mall instead.

I'm curious about the extent of construction myself- I'll try to go by the site this weekend and see what has been done. Yeah, I could see someone trying to build it on the cheap and the bank going along with it just so they get at least some of their money back. That would be really sad way for things to end up. The neighbors may end wishing they had supported the plan that was approved- it could be much better than what might end up there.

I hope we are just being hasty with our ideas of what is going to happen and the developers will be able to work things out. Doesn't it seem like Metropolitan Natl Bank is involved in a lot of the recent legal actions? Are they hitting the wall themselves?

I hope we are just being hasty with our ideas of what is going to happen and the developers will be able to work things out. Doesn't it seem like Metropolitan Natl Bank is involved in a lot of the recent legal actions? Are they hitting the wall themselves?

I agree, I'm hoping something can still be worked out. I'm not sure why a number of legal actions have occurred recently. I guess we've finally hit a time lime where things had to have happened and obviously the economy really affected those time lines. Now I can't say anything about dirt washing into people's yards after rainstorms. But from what I can see it doesn't seem much of an eyesore to me. Overall not much of it faces the street and there's a hill there as well. A rather small development along the street level would take care of that.

When I read in the newspaper about the infrastructure I was assuming they were just talking about phase one. I can't imagine that developers would put in all the infrastructure for a development that was going to take years all at once. I'm not so sure though that a bank wouldn't make changes. Especially on the latter stages, where some of the more innovative development would have happened. Even if someone else comes in and follows the general plan I also worry that they'll try to go through and do it cheaply just to save money. Forget about the new urbanism aspects and such. Why bother with a multi-use structure here when we can just throw up an easy strip mall instead.

With a PUD, you can't change the site plan at all, Rod. That's the point of a PUD. It does not conform to zoning. I guess you could put a one story building in the exact spot with the exact same parking situation--that would be allowed. But no one can just stick a strip mall on this site.

M

With a PUD, you can't change the site plan at all, Rod. That's the point of a PUD. It does not conform to zoning. I guess you could put a one story building in the exact spot with the exact same parking situation--that would be allowed. But no one can just stick a strip mall on this site.

M

That's good to hear. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I stopped by the site and it looks like the first three phases have the infrastructure in place- at least accoridng to this diagram I found that was posted earlier in this topic.

There are some amazing views from the site although the hot,hazy weather and my low megapixel camera doesn't do them justice.

Reading through this topic I haven't seen a mention of what zoning the property has now. If this PUD isn't constructed and the land changes owners I assume it will still be zoned the same.

ruskinheights017qpl.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

^that is one beautifull view! I have to say I'm quite surprised that a developer with this amount of money would try and put a PUD in such a low density area that looks to be far from any urban enviroment. I know it's good to encourage a higher density development, but when you plop something like this in the middle of suburbia it will be a continuous uphill battle. I would be surprised if this gets built.

I stopped by the site and it looks like the first three phases have the infrastructure in place- at least accoridng to this diagram I found that was posted earlier in this topic.

There are some amazing views from the site although the hot,hazy weather and my low megapixel camera doesn't do them justice.

Reading through this topic I haven't seen a mention of what zoning the property has now. If this PUD isn't constructed and the land changes owners I assume it will still be zoned the same.

Thanks for the map and pic. Until you mentioned it I never had really considered stopping there and looking or taking any pics. I'm trying to get my bearings from that picture. What direction are you looking?

^that is one beautiful view! I have to say I'm quite surprised that a developer with this amount of money would try and put a PUD in such a low density area that looks to be far from any urban environment. I know it's good to encourage a higher density development, but when you plop something like this in the middle of suburbia it will be a continuous uphill battle. I would be surprised if this gets built.

Well the view is a bit deceptive. Ironically this development is considered infill. It's also not too far away from a pretty big intersection. But topography in this area has kept developers away. I think most developers look to the flatter areas of Fayetteville, especially west Fayetteville. Fayetteville also has a hillside ordinance that probably discourages some developers as well.

Thanks for the map and pic. Until you mentioned it I never had really considered stopping there and looking or taking any pics. I'm trying to get my bearings from that picture. What direction are you looking?

I believe that he is looking North towards Springdale. I can see the "tree house" near Butterfield school and that newer white building on Joyce.

Yes, that is looking NNW. You can see the feed mills at Springdale and Callahan Mtn. in the distance. You can't see them in this pic but you can see the water towers in Rogers from here also. I bet it is beautiful at night.

I thought that was Springdale in the distance. It makes sense that considering the topography there views to the north are mainly what you're going to get at that location. But I guess some of the buildings in the foreground threw me of a bit. I don't see Marlon Blackwell's 'treehouse' that Colby sees though.

• 3 weeks later...

My money for a deposit on a lot at Ruskin Heights was cheerfully refunded by the developers without my even having to ask. They are honorable people.

M

You didn't happen to ask how things are currently with the development? I'm still hoping the developers can work something out.

Mark, How do you think that will happen with a foreclosure suit? Have they got somebody waiting in the wings to buy the foreclosure?

He didn't say it would happen quickly or easily. I personally think the project will get back on track in the long run- the approval process was difficult so it's unlikely the idea for that area will just be thrown out- I would think any sane developer would want to avoid trying to get anything different approved in that neighborhood now- and the idea is really interesting and unique for the area. It's not quite the right economic climate to sell the houses like hot cakes right now maybe, but in a few years unique, high quality neighborhoods within the city would bring a good price and should have a pretty good selling pace. It just makes economic sense to pursue this idea when financing is a bit more stable.

He didn't say it would happen quickly or easily. I personally think the project will get back on track in the long run- the approval process was difficult so it's unlikely the idea for that area will just be thrown out- I would think any sane developer would want to avoid trying to get anything different approved in that neighborhood now- and the idea is really interesting and unique for the area. It's not quite the right economic climate to sell the houses like hot cakes right now maybe, but in a few years unique, high quality neighborhoods within the city would bring a good price and should have a pretty good selling pace. It just makes economic sense to pursue this idea when financing is a bit more stable.

I hope you're right. I'd really hate to see the idea of Ruskin Heights go away.

I hope you're right. I'd really hate to see the idea of Ruskin Heights go away.

I would not be surprised at all if the same cast of characters ends up buying the property back from the bank that is foreclosing on it. This kind of thing happens all of the time. And if their debt load gets reduced along the way by half or more it will help the project be more viable in the future....

M.

I would not be surprised at all if the same cast of characters ends up buying the property back from the bank that is foreclosing on it. This kind of thing happens all of the time. And if their debt load gets reduced along the way by half or more it will help the project be more viable in the future....

M.

I certainly hope so. Although I'm sure there are some neighbors over there that will hate to hear that.

I certainly hope so. Although I'm sure there are some neighbors over there that will hate to hear that.

What do you think the neighbors want? Do you think they want a scraped hillside to start growing over with weeds? Or do you think they want a subdivision of big, ugly houses? Or do you think they want the plan as designed to be built out and be successful. I think if many of them flash forward a little bit at this point it wouldn't be hard to see that building this development out will be best for them. That's what I think. If it were virgin, largely untouched hillside like it was before construction started that might be another matter.

M

What do you think the neighbors want? Do you think they want a scraped hillside to start growing over with weeds? Or do you think they want a subdivision of big, ugly houses? Or do you think they want the plan as designed to be built out and be successful. I think if many of them flash forward a little bit at this point it wouldn't be hard to see that building this development out will be best for them. That's what I think. If it were virgin, largely untouched hillside like it was before construction started that might be another matter.

M

I'm not sure what they want. It's obviously too late to go back to the way it was. But I'd almost guess they'd want it to be the usual cookie cutter type suburbia. Even though people complain about those types of places it's funny how people complain if a developer tries to build anything different than that anywhere near their neighborhood.

Archived