Ruskin Heights

CellarDoor135

I have to change my mind here about saying traffic problems caused by Ruskin Heights is an objection by the city board members. I think they don't care, but they are just being difficult by policy to hold out for more concessions by the developers. It makes sense because they are in the power position. They probably held out so long with the Divinity project to convince the developers if they didn't change their design they wouldn't approve it. In the end they probably would not have been able to turn it down because of the tax revenue.

Anyways, that might not be true what I'm saying because it's a risky strategy that may scare away development, but who knows what we might do in their position. The new parking deck thing sucks for them because they'll have to make it a pay one and no one wants to pay.

Thia was probably right that it is difficult to consider widening Mission without destroying some of the essence of the historic district with traffic. Although her feelings might be right, practically what else can we do and where else can we do it?

I always like towns with grid streets and no subdivisions, but obviously that doesn't happen much in hilly towns, and it didn't happen much here. Are there any more major arteries? Maybe they'll get creative and create a network of chair lifts for transportation. :)

Interestingly, the traffic Level of Service (LOS) can be improved dramatically, from an LOS leve E to an LOS level B by installing a traffic light and a turn lane, AFTER Ruskin Heights is fully built out. We have agreed to pay for the installation of both, the City is supporting our request, and the state is reviewing. Basically, this is one of those rare situations where we can have our cake and eat it too - greatly improved traffic and protecting the historic district by not widening Mission.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always like towns with grid streets and no subdivisions, but obviously that doesn't happen much in hilly towns, and it didn't happen much here. Are there any more major arteries? Maybe they'll get creative and create a network of chair lifts for transportation. :)

I like our weird street pattern. Makes us different from everyone else and their grid pattern. :D

Interestingly, the traffic Level of Service (LOS) can be improved dramatically, from an LOS leve E to an LOS level B by installing a traffic light and a turn lane, AFTER Ruskin Heights is fully built out. We have agreed to pay for the installation of both, the City is supporting our request, and the state is reviewing. Basically, this is one of those rare situations where we can have our cake and eat it too - greatly improved traffic and protecting the historic district by not widening Mission.

It'll be nice to see how it turns out. It would definitely seem mandatory to have a light there for a large development like that. Fortunately you're one of those developers willing to make it happen.

I like our weird street pattern. Makes us different from everyone else and their grid pattern. :D

Maybe we're just a large subdivision. I do hope the city stays small since it will be hard to grow the traffic infrastructure. I love Dickson street because it can be a regional destination without being on the bypass. It's always hard to get there, but I guess that is probably part of the fun.

Anyways, I guess I would choose for our city to be walkable rather than drivable, but I wouldn't oppose too much to arteries cutting through historic districts, because we all speed through there anyways in the morning.

Maybe we're just a large subdivision. I do hope the city stays small since it will be hard to grow the traffic infrastructure. I love Dickson street because it can be a regional destination without being on the bypass. It's always hard to get there, but I guess that is probably part of the fun.

Anyways, I guess I would choose for our city to be walkable rather than drivable, but I wouldn't oppose too much to arteries cutting through historic districts, because we all speed through there anyways in the morning.

It is nice that Fayetteville's best places aren't really anywhere near the interstate.

Gee thanks!

(Please slow down to the posted speed limit and make sure you're making a full stop at the stop signs.)

I just read an editorial online (NWA Times--opinion) in response to the Art Hobson article I posted awhile ago. It seems the author, Jo Ann Kvamme, believes Ruskin Heights will "encourage sprawl" by pushing McMansion builders farther out of town since that property will be occupied with smart growth. That's a first! Does it seem the arguments against the plan are getting weaker? Maybe the future McMansion owners will see how cool Ruskin Heights could be and will decide to live there instead!

Gee thanks!

(Please slow down to the posted speed limit and make sure you're making a full stop at the stop signs.)

Don't worry I never drive there anyways. I used to way back in high school when I had to cut across there. There was no where else to go so what can you expect from commuters?

I just read an editorial online (NWA Times--opinion) in response to the Art Hobson article I posted awhile ago. It seems the author, Jo Ann Kvamme, believes Ruskin Heights will "encourage sprawl" by pushing McMansion builders farther out of town since that property will be occupied with smart growth. That's a first! Does it seem the arguments against the plan are getting weaker? Maybe the future McMansion owners will see how cool Ruskin Heights could be and will decide to live there instead!

Yeah, I still have yet to hear a real argument. I don't think there is one good one.

Quite the interesting argument from Jo Ann - implying that Ruskin Heights will drive down property values and push people out of the City. In the rest of the universe, DPZ projects are criticized (and quite legitimately) because they tend to gentrify so quickly that they become unaffordable for most folks.

Quite the interesting argument from Jo Ann - implying that Ruskin Heights will drive down property values and push people out of the City. In the rest of the universe, DPZ projects are criticized (and quite legitimately) because they tend to gentrify so quickly that they become unaffordable for most folks.

Does that mean buy now??

Her argument is not even valid. In order to have a valid argument there must be some semblance of logic involved.

Obviously she is opposed to the project but can't seem to make argument or give a good reason why.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of the land plan with some conceptual renderings of some of the spaces, but don't know how to upload it.

Also, I wanted to remind everyone that we go in front of the Planning Commission on Monday, January 8th and need as many supporters there as possible.

Ward

I have a copy of the land plan with some conceptual renderings of some of the spaces, but don't know how to upload it.

Also, I wanted to remind everyone that we go in front of the Planning Commission on Monday, January 8th and need as many supporters there as possible.

Ward

Do you know what time? I think this is one city meeting worthy of my attention.

Ward

Here are some instructions on how to use Flickr.com to upload pictures onto UP. Or you could email whatever pics you wanted uploaded to one of the members here like Matt (mcheiss), Rod (Mith242), or myself and we'd be happy to post them for you. Just PM one of us and we'll give you an email addy.

1. sign on to Flickr.com with existing Yahoo ID or Create a New Account

2. select "Upload Photos"

3. "Browse" your harddrive for your pics and add them

4. click "Upload" below

5. click "Save" below

6. click on a picture in your photos

7. click on "All Sizes" from above the picture

8. right click picture and click "Properties"

9. highlight "Address" and right click and select "Copy"

10. click the "Insert Image" (tree) icon above the text box that you're posting with on UP

11. paste address into the explorer user prompt (don't duplicate the http:// in the address)

NOTE: Be sure not to delete a picture from flickr.com that you've posted on a forum or it will no longer show up on the forum.

I must have missed that. I can't see how anyone could really believe that. I have to agree with everyone else. It's just someone who lives there, doesn't want it in 'their backyard' and are saying anything so that it would be approved.

that's a brilliant looking development. fayetteville is going to be very lucky if this gets built. those people who own property in that area are being foolish, IMO, for opposing this so fervently. I'm pretty sure faytteville is a town that's going to continue to grow at a decent rate for sometime. i believe in a few years this area will have a decent high-tech sector going on, among other things. that means more people who will apprecitate the caliber of this development because of the designers, Duany Plater-Zyberk, AND the character of this development. let's be honest; that's now ordinary residential development. it's one that is architecturally diverse, and when taken together, forms something greater than the sum of its parts. and DPZ is no small fry. this firm has done some pretty amazing things. peruse their website, if you haven't already, and see for yourself. http://www.dpz.com/

if fayetteville wants to show that it's truly a progressive, smart town, it should approve this devlopment.

I agree, my guess is the only real problem is that it's being done near Mt Sequoyah. If it was being done anywhere else in Fayetteville I bet there'd be no problem.

yeah, i think there are some legitmate runoff concerns with this development voiced by those in the neighborhood, not to mention traffic. plus, it does suck that it is going to be located, if i'm not mistaken, on one of the last, if not the last, wooded areas of mt. sequoyah. but i still think it's worth it.

Archived