Can I get a loaf of bread?

rallymatt

So I'm totally pumped about rushing home to our new place at Union Square and cooking up dinner for me and my girlfriend. Mental pantry stock list leads me to the knowledge that I am going to need a solid baguette, or appropriate loaf on my way home. You know, to make some REAL garlic bread.

Thinking to myself, I will stop at the newer Nantucket Baking company. Surely they will have a fresh urban-hipster loaf to satisfy. Plus, I will be supporting my community.

In the door and no dice, no loafs due the bakers having Sunday/Monday off of work.... Bummer.

Martha's may have one or two says the Nantucket worker, and off I go next door. I need some cheese anyway. Bread? Bread?.... no bread. No loafs, no baguettes, and certainly none of those mini little demi-baquettes. Good parm though..

Out the door and in my car (I know). I'll stop at the Grand Central Grocery on Monroe Center! Around town I drive, navigating the masses. I luck out and find a close quick spot on Monroe and into the store I go. Any baguettes here? No. No bread at all.

Jimmy Johns! They sell day old french loafs... In the door.... Sold out.. Bummer.

4 downtown locations, not a single loaf of bread for dinner. I reluctantly call the girlfriend who is en route... "Hey baby, stop at Plainfield Meijer and snag one of those Ace bakery baguettes".... bummer.

Someone please open a decent downtown grocery store

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's also an Arnies on West Leonard. I remember smelling deliciousness from Burger King all the way to Alpine whilst putting up fliers a month ago and it made me really hungry. I swear it was torture.

And I'm not sure if they have loafs of bread or any baguettes, but the Food Smith just recently opened on S Division right across from Vertigo. I had a tasty danish there a couple weeks ago.

Last I knew, there was a really nice grocery store on the back side of the Plaza Towers building along Fulton, right next to the bridge. That could be the Schnitz that MAU is refering to, but if it isn't... I suggest you check that out. If it's still there that is. I haven't been down to the Plaza Towers in like, 5 years.

Last I knew, there was a really nice grocery store on the back side of the Plaza Towers building along Fulton, right next to the bridge. That could be the Schnitz that MAU is refering to, but if it isn't... I suggest you check that out. If it's still there that is. I haven't been down to the Plaza Towers in like, 5 years.

I remember going there a few times when I lived on campus at GVSU, but I image that grocer mainly served the residents of the Plaza Towers. With all the new residents coming downtown I'd expect a downtown grocer to do better. I also think that store was in a poor location as far as visibility goes. You could move in to any number of downtown locations and never even know it was there.

-nb

Here's yer bread (from the Grandville Ave thread, and Knape's Corner):

"The building is expected to include an entertainment room, laundry and gymnasium for residents. Ground-floor retail spaces are being geared toward businesses such as coffee shops, pizza places, convenience stores and restaurants."

Archived