Macy's out, Belk in at Wilmington's Mayfaire

DigitalSky

That's right. Wilmington is losing its only Macy's store, for another Belk store. Mayfaire Town Center's Macy's will swap out with Parisian in Collierville, TN... as we know Parisian will soon become Belk.

http://www.visualstore.com/index.php/channel/39/id/11161

Federated Department Stores Inc. (Cincinnati) has agreed with Belk Inc. (Charlotte, N.C.) to exchange its Macy's store in Wilmington, N.C., for a Parisian store in Collierville, Tenn.

The 140,000-square-foot Macy's, which is a former Hecht's location the retailer obtained with its acquisition of The May Department Stores Co. (St. Louis), is located in the Mayfaire Town Center. The 130,000-square-foot Parisian store is in the Avenue Carriage Crossing. Both stores are expected to begin clearance sales shortly after Christmas, close in late February and reopen in spring 2007 under their new nameplates -- Collierville as Macy's and Wilmington as Belk.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Belk may choose to use both, especially if the other one is small. In Charlottesville, VA there are actually two Belks in the same mall. One is Women's and the other is men and houseware, etc.

This is a separate Belk store that is across the street in a completely different development.

Belk may choose to use both, especially if the other one is small. In Charlottesville, VA there are actually two Belks in the same mall. One is Women's and the other is men and houseware, etc.

The Wilmington Star Newspaper says the smaller Belks across the street will close, leaving the employees to be divided between the remaining two stores at Mayfaire and Independence mall.

The big news is the second phase of the Mayfaire complex is underway. Providing more shopping, restaraunts, and condos above the shops. Two parking decks are planned, one behind Macy's the other behind Barnes ands Nobles.

The third phase is to start in early 2008 with another large department store planned, so maybe Macy's will be back?! :)

The Wilmington Star Newspaper says the smaller Belks across the street will close, leaving the employees to be divided between the remaining two stores at Mayfaire and Independence mall.

The big news is the second phase of the Mayfaire complex is underway. Providing more shopping, restaraunts, and condos above the shops. Two parking decks are planned, one behind Macy's the other behind Barnes ands Nobles.

The third phase is to start in early 2008 with another large department store planned, so maybe Macy's will be back?! :)

lol I don't think Macy's will be back if they're leaving already. My guess is the 2nd department store could be another Dillard's, and I dont' see Nordstrom and the such entering the market at this time.

• 2 months later...

lol I don't think Macy's will be back if they're leaving already. My guess is the 2nd department store could be another Dillard's, and I dont' see Nordstrom and the such entering the market at this time.

Guess what? Rumor from a very good source says Nordstrom is coming to Wilmington! Nordstrom's is rumored to be the

one of the anchor stores for the new Autumn Hall mixed use development.

Macy's closed a couple of weeks ago, and according to a manager at the store, they may be back in two to three years.

The sales for the short period of time it was open was better then expected.

The new Belks opens in a couple of weeks.

The next phase of Mayfaire complex is well underway with Eddie Bauer and Pottery Barn as two of the latest stores to be announced. Two more restaurants are being planned word has one it will be the Cheesecake Factory.

Guess what? Rumor from a very good source says Nordstrom is coming to Wilmington! Nordstrom's is rumored to be the

Macy's closed a couple of weeks ago, and according to a manager at the store, they may be back in two to three years.

The next phase of Mayfaire complex is well underway with Eddie Bauer and Pottery Barn as two of the latest stores to be announced. Two more restaurants are being planned word has one it will be the Cheesecake Factory.

This is great for Wilmington but I just can't see how this area with a low metropolitan population compared to the Big 3 would get these kinds of restaurants and stores before the Triad. :blink:

This is great for Wilmington but I just can't see how this area with a low metropolitan population compared to the Big 3 would get these kinds of restaurants and stores before the Triad. :blink:

Based on tourism and the dollars the retirees have in the area, I'm not surprised at all..... Also, Wilmington can potentially draw from the Myrtle Beach metro area as well.

In my opinion, I will take this only for what it is - a rumor. It would be great for the Wilmington area to get these stores, but all I can say is we'll see

Exactly, population

Also, if Macy's decided to leave why would Nordstrom come? That's like saying they weren't profitable so why would a high-class department store like Nordstrom think they could do any better than Macy's? And, if this Wilmington Macy's store made great sales, why would they close? Something is not adding up.....

I was under the assumption that this store, among with a handful of other newly acquired Macy's was traded with Belk b/c one of the stores wanted stores the other company had and offered a trade. Macy's prolly oked the trade of this store b/c it's the only Macy's in a radius of 50-100 miles so it's kind of a loner out there.I think the closest Macy's to Wilmington is Fayetteville or maybe Coastal Grand in Myrtle Beach if they have a store there.

I was under the assumption that this store, among with a handful of other newly acquired Macy's was traded with Belk b/c one of the stores wanted stores the other company had and offered a trade. Macy's prolly oked the trade of this store b/c it's the only Macy's in a radius of 50-100 miles so it's kind of a loner out there.I think the closest Macy's to Wilmington is Fayetteville or maybe Coastal Grand in Myrtle Beach if they have a store there.

It's Fayetteville. Coastal Grand doesn't have a Macy's.

Belks bought 77 stores from Saks over the last two years (Parisians, proffitts and McRaes). It closed about dozen Parisian stores that were close to other Belks, and turned most of the rest into Belks. The store in Collerville, TN, which is like a suburb of Memphis was a store very much desired by Macy's, because it filled the last niche in Memphis that Macy's didn't have covered. In a statement by Macy's they said trading the Wilmington store was a difficult decision because they had been so warmly received by its customers in Wilmington.

The population of the Wilmington Metro Area (New hanover, Pender, Brunswick counties) in the 2005 census estimates

were @ 330,000. The statistic used by Mayfaire Town project for population within a 50 mile radius in 2004 was

508,000 people.These numbers do not include the Myrtle Beach or Jacksonville areas.

I think the important statistic is the income of those living close to Mayfaire. Landfall is across the street, and Wrightsville Beach is less then five miles away. Homes in both areas average close to a million dollars, bringing a upper end client

• 4 years later...

Archived