Whitehead - I-84 connector

Bill Mocarsky

Most people I know that care about the urban fabric of Hartford are glad that the Whitehead - I-84 connector was defeated more than 3 decades ago.

I think Hartford already suffers with the the two worst segments of the I-484 concept, however.

One of these is the large footprint of I-84 (near the Capitol) with it's multi tiered design that was built to accomodate the never built intersection. The other is the Colan-Whitehead itself, which covers the Park river. (Yes, the Whitehead was built before the concept.)

Is the actual tunnel any worse than the other two segments?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't find the tunnel to be a problem, at least it's sunken in one piece coming out the west side and could be covered in theory. The multi-tiered section is the real problem, if the reconfigured the area from Sisson/Park to the tunnel, sinking it and making a tunnel that whole length, it would be a much better area, helping to link the city to it's other parts.

I am against any burial of highways. These are huge projects that cost too much to upkeep and tend to be problematic (see Dig, Big..).

Reroute I-84 and I-91 outside the city centre, that's the only way to solve the problem. Someday I believe it will happen. For now, we have to deal with it until public opinion finally turns against these highways.

I am against any burial of highways. These are huge projects that cost too much to upkeep and tend to be problematic (see Dig, Big..).

Reroute I-84 and I-91 outside the city centre, that's the only way to solve the problem. Someday I believe it will happen. For now, we have to deal with it until public opinion finally turns against these highways.

I-84 was designed with the intent of I-484 (the Whitehead connector) being built shortly after.

My question is, How do you think that segment of highway would have been designed if the I-484 interchange wasn't on the horizon at the time?

Regarding the interchange site:

I don't think the main issue here is simply "lets bury the highway". I think it is cleaning up and shrinking the huge footprint..............and putting in a few city streets in that would connect Union Station to Capitol Avenue.

Archived