Huge new Dental Sculpture

sfloria

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new 33-foot steel monument will be placed in a plaza next to the entrance of the J.W. Marriott Hotel, a riverfront luxury hotel that will open in late 2007.

The blue-painted sculpture will emulate cascading water, evoking the Grand River and the city's decision to fluoridate its water supply, said Lixenberg, an English-born artist who lives in Amsterdam.

http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/inde..._11.html#204740

I've done a few renderings of it at work, can't share anything yet though. It's a pretty cool looking sculpture though. You know who the artist is based on that MLive article. Check out some of his work and you may get a good idea of what it might look like.

I guess I really don't see the relation to teeth, but he certainly got the river theme going. I do like it though, it will add to the city's collection of sculpture (albeit small) an addition is a positive move in the right direction as I would like to see more of it throughout the city.

I guess I really don't see the relation to teeth, but he certainly got the river theme going. I do like it though, it will add to the city's collection of sculpture (albeit small) an addition is a positive move in the right direction as I would like to see more of it throughout the city.

• 6 months later...

I was wandering around down there last night and noticed a big red tarp covering something pretty big. Now I know!

*fish

The sculpture was installed on Sunday morning, and then coverred for final painting. If you were wandering around downtown, I hear it was a good show.

Archived