Virginia Beach Nightlife

mikefaceless

Virginia beach has a reputation for being quite the night time party spot, especially for spring break and the summer Time. Here is the place to discuss your experiences at different bars, concert venues, restaurants, and night clubs in Virginia Beach. So??? Where is the party at? I personally like going to Peabody's when I'm in town. Crazy Charlie's is pretty wild too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this review online that I though was interesting. It was written by people who came here for vacation this past August and while it seems they had fun they were underwhelmed by the nightlife. This is exactly the kind of opinion I wish for us to avoid but fear that we'll hear more and more of if the Beach continues to pursue "family friendly" at the expense of everything else.

Lowdown on Virginia Beach

Overall, if you like the beach and you're looking for a weekend getaway that's not too far from home (provided you live on the East Coast or somewhere in the Midwest) I'd say Virginia Beach is a good choice. But if you're looking for a really hopping area with tons of nightlife, tons of things to do and breathtaking views, I'd try somewhere else.

Hilarious. No liquor stores, huh? Well, welcome to the world of state-run ABC stores. Silly tourists. No beer sold after 9 pm? Are these tourists making up laws now? True, you can't buy a case at 3 a.m. from 7-11 but as far as I remember, the cut-off is midnight.

Hilarious. No liquor stores, huh? Well, welcome to the world of state-run ABC stores. Silly tourists. No beer sold after 9 pm? Are these tourists making up laws now? True, you can't buy a case at 3 a.m. from 7-11 but as far as I remember, the cut-off is midnight.

Found this review online that I though was interesting. It was written by people who came here for vacation this past August and while it seems they had fun they were underwhelmed by the nightlife. This is exactly the kind of opinion I wish for us to avoid but fear that we'll hear more and more of if the Beach continues to pursue "family friendly" at the expense of everything else.

Lowdown on Virginia Beach

A locals rebuttal

I think the City Council really is hurting itself and the city by inhibiting clubs and bars -- it's not the presence of bars and clubs, it's the TYPES of clubs and bars that draw questionable people. They should restrict the unsavory businesses, but PROMOTE the good, classy clubs and lounges. *Sigh*.

• 2 weeks later...

Beach to take different track on Bars

The city may back off its sweeping approach to dealing with unruly bars for a more restrained and statewide game plan.

A controversial permit proposal that would have required bars and nightclubs to hire security, install cameras and add lights to their parking lots could be shelved.

On Tuesday, Virginia Beach officials suggested that the City Council ask state legislators to give cities the power to get temporary injunctions against bars with bad track records. The injunction would stop the night spot from serving alcohol while officials with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board investigate whether the establishment's liquor license should be revoked.

Good venue lighting and cameras are good. Digital DVR units are a dime a dozen now, so there is no real excuse for not having a bunch of cameras.

The bar/club permit was a means by which the city wanted to pick and choose. Elimintate all of the bars young people like, and keep the ones that are run by friends of the council.

• 2 weeks later...
What a load of BS, I swear VB goes so far overboard to make the city a "family destination" at any cost that it leaves responsible adults going elswhere for the nightlife. Funny how they mentioned the club Miami shooting, it's always the young knuckleheads from Norfolk that get the VB clubs shut down. Miami was there for only a few months when they got closed, the Beach House closed from Norfolk kids shooting up and on any given weekend you can see a mob of kids outside the Cave at the oceanfront. I feel sorry for the young kids who want to go out and have a good time but can't because a few morons have to go out and screw up it for everybody else and get the club shut down.

• 5 weeks later...

Public to gain 30min of garage parking

The early closures of Oceanfront public parking garages are here to stay, but police said they are willing to give revelers an extra half-hour to park.

Tuesday, Virginia Beach police recommended to the City Council that public parking lots at the Oceanfront stop allowing drivers in after 12:30 a.m. as a way to control crowds and rowdy behavior.

Until last summer, Oceanfront lots were open until 2 a.m. Starting in June, police closed the entry to some public lots at midnight.

"Managing the parking lot is one way to manage those late-night crowds," Police Capt. Tony Zucaro said.

• 3 weeks later...

Beach opposes nightclub

To promoter Ernestine Combs, her plan is perfect: Open an upscale lounge at 17th Street and Pacific Avenue and lure a more professional crowd to a block often derided as one of the Oceanfront's worst. To police Capt. Tony Zucaro, the picture isn't as rosy. He sees Combs' lounge as just another nightclub in an area already cluttered with bars and unruly crowds.

Whose view prevails is up to the state.

Combs has an application before the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to open Uroma's Lounge at 230 17th St. The police and Oceanfront civic leagues oppose the plan. No hearing date has yet been scheduled.

I think that the answer is to have an informally cordoned district where there are lots of clubs and bars. The beach is a resort in an urban setting. Locals need a place to go and have fun. 17th Street seems to be a pretty good choice to me. Have the district run east-west so the oceanfront is not impacted, and keep the guns and the fights out. It baffles me that the City doesn't understand this. Do they want to send these activities to Chesapeake? Maybe if they sent them to Williamsburg the suicide rate on campus might drop (gee momma...there's something to do here now).

I think that the answer is to have an informally cordoned district where there are lots of clubs and bars. The beach is a resort in an urban setting. Locals need a place to go and have fun. 17th Street seems to be a pretty good choice to me. Have the district run east-west so the oceanfront is not impacted, and keep the guns and the fights out. It baffles me that the City doesn't understand this. Do they want to send these activities to Chesapeake? Maybe if they sent them to Williamsburg the suicide rate on campus might drop (gee momma...there's something to do here now).

• 5 months later...

Nightclubs seek injuncton against alcohol regualtors.

On the eve of one of the most popular holidays for nightclubs and restaurants, a group of owners was in federal court seeking an order stopping state alcohol regulators from enforcing noise and obscenity laws.

The owners of six nightclubs, four at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and two in downtown Norfolk, sued the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, claiming constitutional free-speech violations. They asked a federal judge on Tuesday for an immediate injunction.

I think all of this goes back to poor urban planning on behalf of Virginia Beach. It would only have an entertainment complex they could focus police on that area and it would calm alot of the issues. Look at Pleasure island at Disney. Set a complex with 10 venues in it. Each venue is leased on a 5 year basis. Included in that lease rate is a door security rate. That pays for a gate security that lets everyone into this area. At the gate id's are checked & security checks enforced. From that point on security for each establishment is their responsibility but they don't have to check id's or worry about underage drinking. I think this is what Pharrel was trying to do with the dome site when the city saw more money in a hotel.

Archived